• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Penguins Round One — General Series Thread

Phil

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/03/2022 at 04:00 PM

22 hours ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I agree, but it's the same "problem" we've been trying to sort out for the last few weeks. Goodrow can play on the 3rd line, but that means healthy scratching one of the kids (I've got no problem with Chytil sitting, but Galant does I guess). I guess you could put Kakko on the 3rd line with Hunt and Rooney, but meeh...

Not afraid to ask a stupid question but why is the thinking Chytil is 3rd line or benched?  Can't he just flip spots with Goodrow?

15 minutes ago, Bieser said:

Not afraid to ask a stupid question but why is the thinking Chytil is 3rd line or benched?  Can't he just flip spots with Goodrow?

Just not a fit with any 4th liner we have. It'd be like playing 4 on 5. 

• Bullseye 1
  • TroCheckmark 1

16 minutes ago, Bieser said:

Chytil on the 4th line is akin to him on the first line. He doesn't have the tools to succeed in that role. He is a fringe middle 6er'.

40 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Flipping around from game to game last night, I saw a lot of intense playoff hockey. Physical, chippy. I sure hope this team is ready for that kind of game.

I think they are. So does this anonymous NHL exec:

“The Rangers are just playing a lot harder now. Their top guys have the mentality of fourth-liners. They understand clock management, who they’re playing against. They’ve done a good job of making opponents play a 200-foot game. It’s too much for Pitt to handle. Kreider, Zibanejad, those guys are playing well. Strome’s playing hard. Their skill guys are not playing pond hockey; they’re fucking working. They get it. I don’t think Malkin and Crosby are going to have the time and space they need to succeed.”

https://theathletic.com/3288206/2022/05/02/new-york-rangers-pittsburgh-penguins-anonymous-analysis/

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • JIMMY! 1
  • Believe 1

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

Not to correct you for no reason, but that stance is not from an exec; it's from a coach. I think that matters, because I tend to believe coaches understand the game at a far more nuanced level than an exec; this is a ringing endorsement.

• TroCheckmark 2

3 minutes ago, G1000 said:

Not to correct you for no reason, but that stance is not from an exec; it's from a coach. I think that matters, because I tend to believe coaches understand the game at a far more nuanced level than an exec; this is a ringing endorsement.

Sorry, you're right. So from someone even more important. Agreed.

Just now, rmc51 said:

Our top guys have the mentality of 4th liners?

Enough of them do, yes. Kreider, Copp, Strome (since the deadline), and even Zib have all been playing hard hockey of late.

6 hours ago, rmc51 said:

Flipping around from game to game last night, I saw a lot of intense playoff hockey. Physical, chippy. I sure hope this team is ready for that kind of game.

I could see Kakko and Chytil breaking again like  light bulbs being tossed in the street for sure. I don't think we're physical pushovers like in years past but I do think we still have some soft spots and there was some heavy games last night for sure. I don't think the physical test will necessarily come in this round. Will be interesting to see how it plays out for sure.

20 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

I could see Kakko and Chytil breaking again like  light bulbs being tossed in the street for sure. I don't think we're physical pushovers like in years past but I do think we still have some soft spots and there was some heavy games last night for sure. I don't think the physical test will necessarily come in this round. Will be interesting to see how it plays out for sure.

Yeah, Chytil’s health is a concern in a playoff environment. I do think he is fast and strong enough to handle the rigors of playoff hockey. He 100% needs to be more physically engaging with his frame.

Kakko on the other hand I just have trouble envisioning this guy having a gear that’s fit for playoff hockey. He’s not a “bad” player, but his approach to the game is pretty emotionless and I never sense urgency in his game. Lack of any kind of killer instinct if you will. I will have to see him ratchet it up several notches in order to believe he’s got it in him.

I wanna see what happens with these kids, and who amps up their game to meet the challenge.  I'm starting every player with a clean slate, even Chytil.

The time is now, and the Rock says "BRING IT!"

Let's see who's got what it takes!

• Believe 1

Zib, Panarin, and Strome can all be babyshit soft.  We will see what happens but those are the guys that haven't been able to ratchet it up when the games got heavy in the past.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Capt said:

Zib, Panarin, and Strome can all be babyshit soft.  We will see what happens but those are the guys that haven't been able to ratchet it up when the games got heavy in the past.  

fair enough, I don't think you're wrong.  Hoping as a group there's been enough changes and there's a willingness to go to the center of the ice when necessary.  They have to play with an edge as a whole imo if they have any chance of making any kind of run.  They need the 4th line to grind away on a consistent basis too imo.

2 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

fair enough, I don't think you're wrong.  Hoping as a group there's been enough changes and there's a willingness to go to the center of the ice when necessary.  They have to play with an edge as a whole imo if they have any chance of making any kind of run.  They need the 4th line to grind away on a consistent basis too imo.

They absolutely need to do that but I'm not sure it's in the DNA of a good number of the core guys to play that style.  It's been the fundamental argument against resigning Strome forever.  He has been fantastic in the regular season but with Zib centering the top line and already soft, it's hard to have your top 2 centers having no meaningful physical presence.  Now maybe the league has changed enough for that not to matter.  Last night kind of goes against that though.   

3 hours ago, rmc51 said:

Yeah, Chytil’s health is a concern in a playoff environment. I do think he is fast and strong enough to handle the rigors of playoff hockey. He 100% needs to be more physically engaging with his frame.

Kakko on the other hand I just have trouble envisioning this guy having a gear that’s fit for playoff hockey. He’s not a “bad” player, but his approach to the game is pretty emotionless and I never sense urgency in his game. Lack of any kind of killer instinct if you will. I will have to see him ratchet it up several notches in order to believe he’s got it in him.

Oddly, I have a feeling he cranks it up a few notches and shows that he can be a game changer by being strong on the puck and creating chances for himself and his linemates. He's got to. All the attention will be on the top 2 lines. That line (especially Kakko) are going to have to take full advantage of their match ups. 

2 hours ago, Capt said:

They absolutely need to do that but I'm not sure it's in the DNA of a good number of the core guys to play that style.  It's been the fundamental argument against resigning Strome forever.  He has been fantastic in the regular season but with Zib centering the top line and already soft, it's hard to have your top 2 centers having no meaningful physical presence.  Now maybe the league has changed enough for that not to matter.  Last night kind of goes against that though.   

This definitely scares me too.  At the end of the season against Boston and Carolina the Rangers top forwards (namely Zib and Panarin) were constantly looking over their shoulders and seemed rattled. The Rangers are going to have to set their own tone of the game and come out fearless and intense.  The 4th line needs to be "on" in that they are physical,  yet clean. They need to provide energy.