• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Penguins Round One — General Series Thread

Phil

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/03/2022 at 04:00 PM

34 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

7 games.

Not even trying to sound biased here, but I’d be very surprised if it did.

Pittsburgh is battle tested and has elite level talent for sure. But, this isn’t the Henrik Rangers where it’s “let’s let the goalie steal us 4 out of 7 and hop on his back.” We have that type of performance in net, but we also have a very good blueline, we have tremendous depth scoring up front, we have a 52 goal scorer on 1 line and a near-100 point winger on another, a deadly PP and veterans who can turn it on physically.

I’m basically going to piggyback on what Valiquette said; if we jump on this team early, we can and will frustrate the hell out of them. They NEED to come into MSG and put some pucks in the net often in Game 1 just to have a chance from a psychological standpoint given what Igor has done to them. If not, this can be a situation where the Rangers feast.

I respect what the Penguins have done as a core, and understand they’re battle tested, and understand that this could be a “last dance” of sorts. To me, means nothing. 

I have said since even prior to our first meeting that this is a good matchup for us, and nothing has changed my mind since. So I’m going to stick with what I’ve felt for months, and predict……

Rangers in 5.

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Bullseye 1

1 hour ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Pittsburgh is battle tested and has elite level talent for sure. But, this isn’t the Henrik Rangers where it’s “let’s let the goalie steal us 4 out of 7 and hop on his back.” We have that type of performance in net, but we also have a very good blueline, we have tremendous depth scoring up front, we have a 52 goal scorer on 1 line and a near-100 point winger on another, a deadly PP and veterans who can turn it on physically.

I’m basically going to piggyback on what Valiquette said; if we jump on this team early, we can and will frustrate the hell out of them. They NEED to come into MSG and put some pucks in the net often in Game 1 just to have a chance from a psychological standpoint given what Igor has done to them. If not, this can be a situation where the Rangers feast.

I respect what the Penguins have done as a core, and understand they’re battle tested, and understand that this could be a “last dance” of sorts. To me, means nothing. 

I have said since even prior to our first meeting that this is a good matchup for us, and nothing has changed my mind since. So I’m going to stick with what I’ve felt for months, and predict……

Rangers in 5.

I hear you man. I just feel like playoffs rarely go how one might expect. I am guessing the common theme with predictions will be Rangers in 5 or 6. I think that's selling the Penguins' experience short. I also expect at least one or two games to be heavily influenced by the black and white stripes, and not in a positive way for the Rangers.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

I meant that Igor > <insert goalie name here> no matter who we play. Forget it, I'm just being a stickler heh

Lol but if it were say Igor vs Vasy or Igor vs Andersen the cap is a lot narrower. You get the idea. 

New York Rangers (M2) vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (M3)

Tuesday, May 3: Penguins at Rangers, 7 p.m. ET (ESPN, Sportsnet, CBC, TVA Sports)

Thursday, May 5: Penguins at Rangers, 7 p.m. ET (TNT, Sportsnet, CBC, TVA Sports)

Saturday, May 7: Rangers at Penguins, 7 p.m. ET (TNT, Sportsnet, CBC, TVA Sports)

Monday, May 9: Rangers at Penguins, 7 p.m. ET (ESPN, Sportsnet, CBC, TVA Sports)

*Wednesday, May 11: Penguins at Rangers, TBD

*Friday, May 13: Rangers at Penguins, TBD

*Sunday, May 15: Penguins at Rangers, TBD

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Rangers in 5.

Can't say I disagree with anything you've posted, and I sure hope that ends up being the case, but just got a bad feeling this will be like that series against Ottawa where Anderson frustrated the Rangers the entire series and we barely got by them in 7 games. 

2 hours ago, Karan said:

Can't say I disagree with anything you've posted, and I sure hope that ends up being the case, but just got a bad feeling this will be like that series against Ottawa where Anderson frustrated the Rangers the entire series and we barely got by them in 7 games. 

What killed our Cup chances that year was our inability to squash both Ottawa and the Caps when we had them down and out. Ottawa should have never gotten that far. And the Caps? After beating them in 3OT? Loss. After the miracle Richards/Staal game? Loss. We let both teams back up off the mat so frequently that by the time another inferior team came calling, we had nothing left in the tank for them in the ECF, and the Devils skated circles around us.

While I see your concerns, and it obviously can happen, I would be slightly more concerned if this were Jarry healthy. Like I said, this isn’t the Henrik and pray for rain Rangers; we actually have a legit offense to back up our sublime goaltending at this stage. I just don’t see DeSmith being able to weather the storm to take us out 4 times out of 7. And they really haven’t played that well lately anyway; been very up and down for awhile now. Even reading Penguins message boards, not a lot of them felt confident regardless of facing us or Florida.

We shall see. Anything can happen. But, this is a very good matchup for us. It’s going to take a lot both from a psychological standpoint and from an actual performance standpoint for them to beat this Rangers team 4 out of 7.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Keirik said:
New York Rangers (M2) vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (M3)

Tuesday, May 3: Penguins at Rangers, 7 p.m. ET (ESPN, Sportsnet, CBC, TVA Sports)

Thursday, May 5: Penguins at Rangers, 7 p.m. ET (TNT, Sportsnet, CBC, TVA Sports)

Saturday, May 7: Rangers at Penguins, 7 p.m. ET (TNT, Sportsnet, CBC, TVA Sports)

Monday, May 9: Rangers at Penguins, 7 p.m. ET (ESPN, Sportsnet, CBC, TVA Sports)

*Wednesday, May 11: Penguins at Rangers, TBD

*Friday, May 13: Rangers at Penguins, TBD

*Sunday, May 15: Penguins at Rangers, TBD

This is the broadcast schedule for the US...

Tuesday, May 3: Penguins at Rangers, 7 p.m. ET (MSG Network, ESPN)
Thursday, May 5: Penguins at Rangers, 7 p.m. ET (MSG Network, TNT)
Saturday, May 7: Rangers at Penguins, 7 p.m. ET (MSG Network, TNT)
Monday, May 9: Rangers at Penguins, 7 p.m. ET (MSG Network, ESPN)
*Wednesday, May 11: Penguins at Rangers, (MSG Network, TBD)
*Friday, May 13: Rangers at Penguins, (MSG Network, TBD)
*Sunday, May 15: Penguins at Rangers, (MSG Network, TBD)

*If necessary

The first game could be the most important one, that may set the tone for the remaining games in this series. The Rangers haven't really blown teams out of the water during regular season and they probably won't in the playoff either. The Rangers will win in 5 to 7 games, but I'd love to see in 4.👍

LGR!!!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Cr00zng said:

This is the broadcast schedule for the US...

Tuesday, May 3: Penguins at Rangers, 7 p.m. ET (MSG Network, ESPN)
Thursday, May 5: Penguins at Rangers, 7 p.m. ET (MSG Network, TNT)
Saturday, May 7: Rangers at Penguins, 7 p.m. ET (MSG Network, TNT)
Monday, May 9: Rangers at Penguins, 7 p.m. ET (MSG Network, ESPN)
*Wednesday, May 11: Penguins at Rangers, (MSG Network, TBD)
*Friday, May 13: Rangers at Penguins, (MSG Network, TBD)
*Sunday, May 15: Penguins at Rangers, (MSG Network, TBD)

*If necessary

The first game could be the most important one, that may set the tone for the remaining games in this series. The Rangers haven't really blown teams out of the water during regular season and they probably won't in the playoff either. The Rangers will win in 5 to 7 games, but I'd love to see in 4.👍

LGR!!!

It will be a tone setter. If Pittsburgh can come in and show Igor is human, it will give them confidence. But if it’s more of the same, then they’ll feel the heat of the clocking ticking.

Patience and discipline. Job 1 is to frustrate Sid. Tie him in knots. Make him hear the footsteps of Father Time coming up behind him. Remind him what youth and speed feel like. Put him into full crybaby mode. I want to see real tears coming out of that SOB. That will set the tone for all of them and determine the trajectory of the series. Who is our Jan Erixon for this one?

• Keeps it 100 1

37 minutes ago, RodrigueGabriel said:

Patience and discipline. Job 1 is to frustrate Sid. Tie him in knots. Make him hear the footsteps of Father Time coming up behind him. Remind him what youth and speed feel like. Put him into full crybaby mode. I want to see real tears coming out of that SOB. That will set the tone for all of them and determine the trajectory of the series. Who is our Jan Erixon for this one?

I think it will be easier to frustrate Malkin. 

Just now, RangersIn7 said:

This is a series the Rangers should win in 5-6 games. Period. 

Playoffs are always different man. Let’s not forget Pittsburgh has a lot of true and tried playoff performers including one of the best forwards of the last 10-15 years. 

this series isn’t gonna be easy. Gotta bring your A game every night. 

LETS GO RANGERS!!!!