• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Penguins Round One — General Series Thread

Phil

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/03/2022 at 04:00 PM

PPs by team after 1 game:

Minnesota 6
St. Louis 6

Toronto 6
Tampa 5

Calgary 5

Dallas 5

Colorado 5

Kings 4

Oilers 4

Pittsburgh 4 - 3OT game

Nashville 4

Washington 3

Bruins 3

Hurricanes 3

Florida 2

Rangers 1 - 3OT game

The Penguins are saints folks.

On 4/30/2022 at 12:29 AM, rmc51 said:

I hear you man. I just feel like playoffs rarely go how one might expect. I am guessing the common theme with predictions will be Rangers in 5 or 6. I think that's selling the Penguins' experience short. I also expect at least one or two games to be heavily influenced by the black and white stripes, and not in a positive way for the Rangers.

Bump already. Only took one game.

5 hours ago, rmc51 said:

PPs by team after 1 game:

Minnesota 6
St. Louis 6

Toronto 6
Tampa 5

Calgary 5

Dallas 5

Colorado 5

Kings 4

Oilers 4

Pittsburgh 4 - 3OT game

Nashville 4

Washington 3

Bruins 3

Hurricanes 3

Florida 2

Rangers 1 - 3OT game

The Penguins are saints folks.

All the games were fairly even with PP chances EXCEPT for the Pit/Rangers game where their was the biggest discrepancy 

That's because the Rangers don't draw penalties because they rarely ever sustain a forecheck.  Their offense is created almost entirely on the rush or on there power play.      I didn't find myself saying that the refs missed penalty calls last night either way.

30 minutes ago, Capt said:

The excuse of refereeing is so old.  The Rangers stunk up the building last night and deserved what they got.  Maybe the conspiracy is that the Rangers consistently take half the games off.  

No conspiracy theory here.  But it's possible the Rangers stunk up the building and the refs were bad at the same time.  I think a few hits resulted in power plays that in my mind looked clean.  It also seemed to take them away from the hitting that was so affective in the first period.  Not completely.  The Penguins probably created their own space too.  It just seemed like it was being called a little tight.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

I'm so sick of blaming the refs, and we managed to lose this game all by ourselves, but it's just so freaking annoying having refs that wants to influence the game. I don't care if we're bad a forechecking or whatever, no team ever has gone 100 consecutive minutes without doing something "illegal". They call 4 penalties on Rangers after we got our only PP (and scored on it). The holding call on Nemeth was bs, the penalty on Trouba is a bullshit call to make when we were already 4v5.

Felt like they decided that each team could get one PP goal. Since we scored on our first try we never got another PP. Penguins got a bs call in the 2nd, we scored a shortie so the refs had to give us another penalty and just like that - tie game again. And after that they completely swallowed the whistles.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

It’s two separate issues.

the rangers lost themselves that game. Hard stop. 

the refs suck. I dunno if they handed the pens the game but they sure made it he flow of the game pretty one sided. 

Edited by siddious
  • Keeps it 100 2

1 hour ago, Capt said:

The excuse of refereeing is so old.  The Rangers stunk up the building last night and deserved what they got.  Maybe the conspiracy is that the Rangers consistently take half the games off.  

Agreed. The icings, fine, maybe, but let's recognize what actually happened here. They abused the Penguins up 1-0 after one and thought this would be a cakewalk. It wasn't. They subsequently lost the game in the second giving up multiple goals and something like 18 shots against in 12 minutes.

The problem with blaming refs is it's always seen as whining to excuse shitty play, and I'm afraid that's exactly what it looks like this morning, too.

The Rangers blew this game. The Rangers. Not the refs. 18+ shots in 12 minutes.

Crosby + Guentzel on the ice at 5v5:

2-0 in goals
24-9 in shots
43-17 in attempted shots
30-3 in scoring chances
16-2 in "high-danger" scoring chances

That's the reason. Right there. Not the refs.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 3

1 hour ago, Bieser said:

No conspiracy theory here.  But it's possible the Rangers stunk up the building and the refs were bad at the same time.  I think a few hits resulted in power plays that in my mind looked clean.  It also seemed to take them away from the hitting that was so affective in the first period.  Not completely.  The Penguins probably created their own space too.  It just seemed like it was being called a little tight.  

I was going to say, these aren't mutually exclusive concepts..  Rangers play and finishing left much to be desired, but the Penguins surely did seem to get the benefit over every fucking call (or no call) 

9 minutes ago, Phil said:

Agreed. The icings, fine, maybe, but let's recognize what actually happened here. They abused the Penguins up 1-0 after one and thought this would be a cakewalk. It wasn't. They subsequently lost the game in the second giving up multiple goals and something like 18 shots against in 12 minutes.

The problem with blaming refs is it's always seen as whining to excuse shitty play, and I'm afraid that's exactly what it looks like this morning, too.

2-0 in goals
24-9 in shots
43-17 in attempted shots
30-3 in scoring chances

The Crosby line is a PROBLEM.

13 minutes ago, Morphinity said:

The Crosby line is a PROBLEM.

It's the problem. Crosby-Guentzel is the Pens top line. They're going to play the glut of 5v5 minutes. You have to improve those margins, even if you lose them. This level of imbalance is a recipe for a lost series.

I'm shaking this game off surprisingly well- Despite the extra 2 1/2 periods resulting in 4 more beers I didn't need on a Tuesday night. A little foggy, but not debilitating.

Glass half full:

• Kid line played with some great energy- need to finish, but I loved the juice they had.
  • Igor- 4 allowed, but none of them were really shit goals. 
  • Miller was awesome.. He was imposing. 
  • Lots of hitting- Reaves was great.

Glass half empty:

• Defense was really uneven. Lindgren got hurt 14 times. Nemeth was absolute dog shit- awful angles and just shit penalties.. Schneider looked like a rookie. 
  • Panarin... He's a problem- the bad kind of problem. 
  • Too fucking cute with the puck again. SHOOT IT.. SHOOT THE FUCKING PUCK!
  • Letting Crosby's line run roughshod.. Need to match up more efficiently and not just let every line have a shot when they are on the ice. 

Shake it off and attack on Thursday night. 

Edited by Flynn

24 minutes ago, Phil said:

2-0 in goals
24-9 in shots
43-17 in attempted shots
30-3 in scoring chances

I think both things can be true at the same time. The Rangers needed to keep playing like they did in the 1st if they wanted to win this game. They ceded the game in the 2nd - partly due to some piss-poor reffing, but mostly due to lack of effort. 

We don't get that chances disparity without the 3OT marathon, though, and the GI call was at the very least inconsistent with the way it's understood to be called and at the very worst a massive fuckup by the situation room. It's worth calling that out. It's worth calling out that the refs simply stopped calling the game after it was tied 3-3. It's worth calling out that the Rangers did not create enough danger to seriously threaten a shaky goalie and then a very shaky backup. 

Great. Refs usually stop calling games in the playoffs when the game is tied and in overtime. Get used to it, or better yet, don't let it get there in the first place by thinking you have the game won after the first 20 minutes.

• Bullseye 1

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

The Rangers never should have allowed the Pens to tie it. True.

The Rangers won that game 4-3 on a good goal, despite the above. Also true.

The end.

Bring on Game 2.

Despite the questionable call, the Rangers had just as much time as the Pitts in two plus OT periods. They could have won the game, if Shesty scored, but he can only keep them in the game. at least so far...😉

But I agree, the Rangers need to learn from this and bring on game 2. And yes, I believe that they will...

Edited by Cr00zng
Spelling mainly...

A team that relies on their PP and gets 1 PP all game is going to struggle. We need to start driving play 5v5. 

In 2OT and 3OT, the Rangers were gassed. All they did was throw the puck up the ice, or dump it but nobody had the energy to chase. The Penguins were making crisp passes and gaining the zone. I don't think we really had a shot in hell once the game kept going later and later. 

Say what you will about the shift where they gave up the goal, I think Schneider had an awesome game for 20 years old and having 43 games of NHL experience. 

The kids also played really well. I thought Kakko even made some great plays, though I wish Lafreniere was a bit more active on the puck. Loved his physicality, but need to use that skill more too kid. It hurts because all three kind of seem like puck hogs.

I think Panarin overthought his game a bit and the Penguins closed him down. If that continues to happen, hopefully it'll open up some space for Strome and Copp. Panarin still made some great passes in the offensive zone to create chances.

KZV were slow to start, but got better as the game went on. I thought Kreider looked pretty lackadaisical in the first period and grew into the game. 

Igor...no words. Mind blowing how good he is. 

Edited by Cash or Czech

That play by Kakko:

Guy finally goes to the net hard, and then makes a FABULOUS pass to Chytil while on his belly and Chytil buries it!

I love ya Dunny, but I just disagree on that one, my brutha.  That goal should stand.

I agree with the Rangers players' assessments that it was a 50/50 call. It wasn't clearly, super blatant goaltender interference. I think Kakko tried to avoid, but he inevitably made contact and they call that goaltender interference every time. It's just infuriating to see a defenseman get a free pass for pushing a player into his goalie though, negating a goal. 

• Applause 1