• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Penguins Round One — General Series Thread

Phil

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/03/2022 at 04:00 PM

21 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Domingue has a .903 SV% and a 4.03 GAA.  The forwards scoring on him isn't the issue.  

Think you missed the point where I said the forwards needing to score enough goals to compensate for the shoddy defense. Scoring 3-4 goals on Dominique doesn't appear to be enough to win against this PIT team with how leaky our defense has been. 

1 hour ago, rmc51 said:

Interested Saturday Night Live GIF by HULU

Just to make things clear. Flynn was asking to get weird at the very beginning. I'm just piggybacking the idea, due to the complete failure Ted Lasso has been. Probably would have had better results with Ted Donato gifs. 

happy world cup GIF by Celcom

• Bullseye 1

6 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I feel we’re scoring enough goals in bunches, but need to be more consistent. I’m terrified for Igor, to be honest. I thought moving on the road would be a good move to calm the team down; I was wrong. Igor seemed overwhelmed. I hope he’s able to bounce back.

6 hours ago, Karan said:

Think you missed the point where I said the forwards needing to score enough goals to compensate for the shoddy defense. Scoring 3-4 goals on Dominique doesn't appear to be enough to win against this PIT team with how leaky our defense has been. 

Igor lost his game when they allowed the first goal which shouldn't have counted. He totally unraveled after that. 

He needs to do a better job keeping the game in front of him and not losing focus. 

But as I said earlier, for all the stellar saves he's making, the goals have been soft and he's getting bear cleanly on a good amount of shots. Posts don't count as SOG and Pittsburgh easily has 8-9 posts this series where Shesty was beat outright. 

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Igor lost his game when they allowed the first goal which shouldn't have counted. He totally unraveled after that. 

He needs to do a better job keeping the game in front of him and not losing focus. 

But as I said earlier, for all the stellar saves he's making, the goals have been soft and he's getting bear cleanly on a good amount of shots. Posts don't count as SOG and Pittsburgh easily has 8-9 posts this series where Shesty was beat outright. 

And yet as you said earlier, we have more to give and they don't.  We could run out of time but a win tonight and I'm feeling pretty good.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Pete said:

I think he looks a little nervous, Pete.  Once he settles in, I think we'll get a great run from him, but to me he just seems like he's fighting it a little.  He's made a few good saves but you're right, the post has saved us more than a few times.

His first NHL playoff, so I can understand, but I think he needs to just settle in and let the game come to him, like you said.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I think he looks a little nervous, Pete.  Once he settles in, I think we'll get a great run from him, but to me he just seems like he's fighting it a little.  He's made a few good saves but you're right, the post has saved us more than a few times.

His first NHL playoff, so I can understand, but I think he needs to just settle in and let the game come to him, like you said.

I hate to say it but that sarcastic "Igor Igor" chant from the Penguins fans looks like it might have worked.  I would certainly feel that way if I were them.

3 minutes ago, Kick save and a beauty said:

I hate to say it but that sarcastic "Igor Igor" chant from the Penguins fans looks like it might have worked.  I would certainly feel that way if I were them.

I think Pete hit the nail on the head.  That goal that caromed in off Nemeth fucked him up a little I think.  It even fucked me up.  I was so pissed, it took even me out of my element of watching the game.  I could only imagine what it would do for a guy playing in his first road playoff game ever.

As a player, that shit from especially THAT crowd shouldn't bother a pro.  One goal against and that crowd goes as silent as a Church. 

Just a side note for anyone not watching the other games around the league:  The officiating in those games is just as horrendous!   I mean FUCKING TERRIBLE!  Missed Icings...many!  Calling phantom penalties, like Braun's.   I watched Hedman take a penalty last night for sliding to break up a 2 on 1 pass, and get called for tripping as the opposing winger fell over him!!  What in the actual fucking hell is that!!?!?!?!

The NHL better get their shit together...Put the fucking whistle away and just call the obvious shit!  This is the playoffs.  They should let the players decide the outcome!

Ok, so let's take them off their game.  Start putting bodies on them hard whenever there's a chance.  Remember when Trouba was steamrolling guys? Bring that back.  Reaves? Get back to railing guys (yes, including Sydney).  Make them think twice about going into a corner hard.  Malkin is totally disengaged at this point partially due to being knocked around a bit.  One hard shot on Guentzel and the same will happen.  Igor will be fine, every goalie lays a turd once in a while and Saturday he dropped one, he knows what he needs to do and he'll bounce back.  Not worried about scoring because that scrub lets them in in bunches, hammer him with shots from all over, crash the net and make him flop.

Woke up pretty happy with the series so far. It's three close games, one triple OT, with a little bit of everything packed in. It's perfect first series for this team to learn how to play in the playoffs, win or lose, and ultimately we're competitive and probably deserve to be ahead. Can't really ask for more of the team this year and just enjoy the hockey

• Cheers 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

54 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I think Pete hit the nail on the head.  That goal that caromed in off Nemeth fucked him up a little I think.  It even fucked me up.  I was so pissed, it took even me out of my element of watching the game.  I could only imagine what it would do for a guy playing in his first road playoff game ever.

As a player, that shit from especially THAT crowd shouldn't bother a pro.  One goal against and that crowd goes as silent as a Church. 

Just a side note for anyone not watching the other games around the league:  The officiating in those games is just as horrendous!   I mean FUCKING TERRIBLE!  Missed Icings...many!  Calling phantom penalties, like Braun's.   I watched Hedman take a penalty last night for sliding to break up a 2 on 1 pass, and get called for tripping as the opposing winger fell over him!!  What in the actual fucking hell is that!!?!?!?!

The NHL better get their shit together...Put the fucking whistle away and just call the obvious shit!  This is the playoffs.  They should let the players decide the outcome!

Fair enough but one thing is certain.  Penguins fans may feel like to tactic worked so regardless of the merits of the case we should all be willing to listen to more of the same.  I remember feeling that the "Hextall Hextall" chants from Rangers fans back in the day were at least partially effective. 

I remember watching Opening Night in DC back in October and feeling like the team was almost playing at too high of a pace. I felt like they were flying through the zones, taking themselves out of position defensively and trying to hit every Capital through the boards. Eventually, they found some structure and became what they became over the course of the season.

The first 3 games of this series, to me, have seemed like they’re playing at a similar pace. They need to slow down, just a little, and get back to what made them successful all season long. Way too many Grade-A chances given up, Igor needs to come alive and we need to stop making every single game a sprint.

• Bullseye 1

38 minutes ago, Kick save and a beauty said:

Fair enough but one thing is certain.  Penguins fans may feel like to tactic worked so regardless of the merits of the case we should all be willing to listen to more of the same.  I remember feeling that the "Hextall Hextall" chants from Rangers fans back in the day were at least partially effective. 

We're a different crowd than those peckerheads, Kix!!  LOL 

The Rangers crowd is seemingly the "6th skater on the ice".  I compare Pittsburgh "fans" similarly to Isles fans;  For example, take a look at the 2 jack offs that jumped in our GDT last game....Jack offs!!!  😉

Either way, we're taking this game tonight! 

Edited by Ozzy

2 hours ago, Valriera said:

Woke up pretty happy with the series so far. It's three close games, one triple OT, with a little bit of everything packed in. It's perfect first series for this team to learn how to play in the playoffs, win or lose, and ultimately we're competitive and probably deserve to be ahead. Can't really ask for more of the team this year and just enjoy the hockey

Expectations should be reserved.  However everyone saying that the rangers are learning this playoff how to win is a little overblown if they are bounced in 5 or 6 games in the first round to a third string goalie.  I don't expect much this time around but once Domingue entered the series this series became a must win.  Adversity is a good thing for the growth of this team.  A hard fought first round series is probably a good thing as well especially if it ends in a win.  Expectations to me haver to be to win this series and put up a fight in the next round.  Anything more would be gravy anything less would be very disappointing. (Only because of the Pens goalie situation)

If the Rangers were playing these games with Kincaid would it not be embarrassing for the Pens to lose a 7 game series in that circumstance?

• VINNY! 1

I think the narrative around Igor is being massively over cooked personally.

They were 4 freak goals and I honestly doubt I've ever seen a team have that amount of puck luck in a single playoff period. 

The first ones on Nemeth, the one where his catching glove hits Carters fat ass is a complete coincidence, the third (iirc) is just a couple of weird bounces that could've gone anywhere. Maybe he could've done better with the goal where Schneids coughed it up but imo the idea that he's losing his cool seems completely premature. 

• VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

26 minutes ago, Gravesy said:

I think the narrative around Igor is being massively over cooked personally.

They were 4 freak goals and I honestly doubt I've ever seen a team have that amount of puck luck in a single playoff period. 

The first ones on Nemeth, the one where his catching glove hits Carters fat ass is a complete coincidence, the third (iirc) is just a couple of weird bounces that could've gone anywhere. Maybe he could've done better with the goal where Schneids coughed it up but imo the idea that he's losing his cool seems completely premature. 

Couple flukey goals,I think he did get off his game after that first one, and on top go that I think he was probably more tired after those 2 first games and a Little rusty. 

I expect and pray for a focused ,pissed Shesty tonight.

Bounces and fluke goals should be a reminder; SHOOT THE PUCK. The chaos a shot creates makes for scoring chances. Zib and Panarin playing for that wind up off wing slapper that usually misses needs to stop and simply take a hard accurate shot instead. 

• Like 2