• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Penguins Round One — General Series Thread

Phil

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/03/2022 at 04:00 PM

Rangers learning what real hockey looks like.

Centers being exposed. Ryan Strome and Fil Chyil are both way too soft to be counted on as playoff centers. 

Everyone else getting a rude awakening.

It'll be an interesting off-season. 

Edited by ThirtyONE
  • Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Just now, jsm7302 said:

Is Shesty a mental midget? Hank was always bigger than the game mentally; always focused. Shesty seems rattled and that is an understatement.

Last part of the season, he really fell apart after a bad goal against. Ever since the mvp convo started, really 

• Thanks 1

The Rangers sorely miss Ryan Lindgren. If that wasn't obvious to anyone yet...I don't know what to tell you. That's not a complaint about injuries. Look at what the Pens are dealing with. But I think some have underestimated what Lindgren brings to the squad.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 3

39 minutes ago, ThirtyONE said:

Rangers learning what real hockey looks like.

Centers being exposed. Ryan Strome and Fil Chyil are both way too soft to be counted on as playoff centers. 

Everyone else getting a rude awakening.

It'll be an interesting off-season. 

That’s good hopefully they do learn something it will be a good outcome

23 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

The Rangers sorely miss Ryan Lindgren. If that wasn't obvious to anyone yet...I don't know what to tell you. That's not a complaint about injuries. Look at what the Pens are dealing with. But I think some have underestimated what Lindgren brings to the squad.

Probably this, but also Goodrow. 

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 2

33 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

You think Lindgren would’ve prevented 14 goals against in 2 games?

• LOL 1

I’ve called this team dead when down 3-1 to Pittsburgh once before, so stranger shit has happened..

I just don’t see it with this room after Saturday. Being the recipient of the old mushroom tattoo on the forehead tonight is the worst of signs. 

Edited by Flynn

2 hours ago, CCCP said:

You think Lindgren would’ve prevented 14 goals against in 2 games?

I know that sounds ridiculous, but I don't think it's an obvious yes or no. The games are completely different if Lindgren is healthy, Braun pushed down to the 3rd pair, and Nemeth is in street clothes. It can't be overstated how pivotally bad Nemeth has been at crucial times in the game that completely flips momentum.

3 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

Is Shesty a mental midget? Hank was always bigger than the game mentally; always focused. Shesty seems rattled and that is an understatement.

I don't think so. He's had a fantastic season and there were multiple games where he was the team's best player. Let's face it. The rangers don't make playoffs without his vezina caliber season. He definitely played like shit today but he's one player I'm not concerned about bouncing back. It's the vets on this team that worry me. Zib, Panarin, Kreider, Trouba, Strome, Copp, Reaves all played soft. No one sets the tone. It's both bad and good watching the kid line be the most noticeable on the ice. It's great for their development, but embarrassing for the guys who are suppose to be leading this team right now.

I wouldn't worry about Shesterkin. He was bound to burn out (if that's even what tonight was.) This team needs to show up and play with some fucking heart. 

I mean, I'm not here to be a white knight for Igor Shesterkin. But I think the problems run far deeper than that. Sure Igor hasn't been the same as in the regular season. He certainly hasn't come close to stealing one, which you're going to need in the playoffs at some point. But the core players on this team are being taken to the NHL Playoff Academy by the Penguins. The Zibanejad and Strome line are being straight up schooled. The Rangers forecheck is almost entirely ineffective. In the other end of the rink, the Rangers cannot deal with the Penguins forecheck. Bar Miller-Trouba the D pairs look completely out of their depth, and our ability to break out cleanly has been complete eviscerated. It's been complete panic stations for 4 out of 6 periods over the last two games. 

I feel like my fears that this Rangers team is built to be good in the regular season are about to be proven to have some merit. Interestingly enough, it's Vatrano who looks like he belongs in the top six of a playoff contender. Zibanejad, Panarin, Strome and - to a lesser extent - Kreider and Copp, look they wish they were playing the Coyotes on a Wednesday night in October. 

I really want to #believe, but I'd be lying if I said I was confident in a comeback from here. 

Edited by Gravesy

Yesterday I really thought they would come back and win the series 4-2, but after last night’s game I lost all hope.

Igor looked rattled and the Pens got his number (whats up with his 5-hole this series???), Panarin and Mika total non-factors, Reaves stopped hitting people after period 1, game 1, the D look lost, galant getting brutaly out-coached

There’s no way this team comes back from 2 games down against this experienced Pens team. Hank, Marty and co managed it, but no way this group will.

will be an interesting off-season for sure. Before the playoffs we all wanted to keep both Strome and Copp, now I see a world where we re-sign neither.

I wouldn't let Strome come back for free.  You cannot discuss how soft this team is without understanding that the top 2 centers on this team are the problem.  Let both of them go.  They can both go put up their points elsewhere only to disappear when the game gets real.  The Rangers need actual centers who can play the position not Brian Boitano and Johnny Weir.  Enough already.  

• LOL 2
  • LMFAO 1

3 hours ago, Gravesy said:

I mean, I'm not here to be a white knight for Igor Shesterkin. But I think the problems run far deeper than that. Sure Igor hasn't been the same as in the regular season. He certainly hasn't come close to stealing one, which you're going to need in the playoffs at some point. But the core players on this team are being taken to the NHL Playoff Academy by the Penguins. The Zibanejad and Strome line are being straight up schooled. The Rangers forecheck is almost entirely ineffective. In the other end of the rink, the Rangers cannot deal with the Penguins forecheck. Bar Miller-Trouba the D pairs look completely out of their depth, and our ability to break out cleanly has been complete eviscerated. It's been complete panic stations for 4 out of 6 periods over the last two games. 

I feel like my fears that this Rangers team is built to be good in the regular season are about to be proven to have some merit. Interestingly enough, it's Vatrano who looks like he belongs in the top six of a playoff contender. Zibanejad, Panarin, Strome and - to a lesser extent - Kreider and Copp, look they wish they were playing the Coyotes on a Wednesday night in October. 

I really want to #believe, but I'd be lying if I said I was confident in a comeback from here. 

Braun, Nemeth and Miller had collectively ZERO hits. And the other D weren't dramatically better. I f o NYR's net is a free fire zone and the Pens are setting up camp right there without a care in the world. And a reminder; playoff hockey unlike the 82 games before it involves a lot more battles in front of the goalie. NYR are right now noncombatants. 

9 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Braun, Nemeth and Miller had collectively ZERO hits. And the other D weren't dramatically better. I f o NYR's net is a free fire zone and the Pens are setting up camp right there without a care in the world. And a reminder; playoff hockey unlike the 82 games before it involves a lot more battles in front of the goalie. NYR are right now noncombatants. 

Miller was tied with Trouba with the most hits on the team last night with 6

57 minutes ago, Capt said:

I wouldn't let Strome come back for free.  You cannot discuss how soft this team is without understanding that the top 2 centers on this team are the problem.  Let both of them go.  They can both go put up their points elsewhere only to disappear when the game gets real.  The Rangers need actual centers who can play the position not Brian Boitano and Johnny Weir.  Enough already.  

Yea, they're being outplayed by Crosby, who's notoriously rugged, gritty, and a real pain in the ass to play against. And Malkin, woof, how many hits did he have last night? :checks notes: 1 hit! Crosby had 0.

Zib hat 3 hits, and Strome had 4. Yes, Strome and Zib are the problems. You know who I noticed you didn't mention though? Some guys who are here because they dominate physically, or were brought in to do so...Like Kreider and Copp.