• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021-22 Reports From the Rink

Drew a Penalty

30 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Who cares at this point? Chytil, Gauthier, Hunt, McKegg.. They all suck, but someone has to play

Pretty much. It just amazes me how this has turned out. Hunt was supposed to be extra forward, possibly in Hartford. McKegg was supposed to be in Hartford. Gauthier was supposed to be taken for free by Seattle. Now all three of them are playing big minutes every night. I mean it's no wonder the 5v5 stats are horrific. The 5v5 players are horrific. 

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 1

5 hours ago, ThirtyONE said:

Pretty much. It just amazes me how this has turned out. Hunt was supposed to be extra forward, possibly in Hartford. McKegg was supposed to be in Hartford. Gauthier was supposed to be taken for free by Seattle. Now all three of them are playing big minutes every night. I mean it's no wonder the 5v5 stats are horrific. The 5v5 players are horrific. 

One of the most popular measures of even strength play is xGF%.

Ironically, Gauthier is 4th amongst forwards on the team in that category. Chytil is 5th. Both are over 50% xGF%. Both also have terrible “real stats”. They are bottom 5 amongst forwards in actual GF%.

McKegg and Reaves are horrendous at both. No other way to slice it. Hunt is mixed.

Not directed at you, but I’m really trying to understand why we can use even strength analytics to say the team sucks and only relies on Igor, but seemingly disregard it on an individual basis. Most of the fan base would nuke Goat and Chytil from the roster in the false name of bad even strength play.

Edited by rmc51
  • Applause 1

5 hours ago, ThirtyONE said:

Kakko is hurt, Blais got hurt, and VK left. It's really the only reason you're seeing Gauthier and McKegg. We're down to the 14th and 15th forwards because 2 are hurt physically and one got his feelings hurt. 

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1
  • VINNY! 1

37 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

One of the most popular measures of even strength play is xGF%.

Ironically, Gauthier is 4th amongst forwards on the team in that category. Chytil is 5th. Both are over 50% xGF%. Both also have terrible “real stats”. They are bottom 5 amongst forwards in actual GF%.

McKegg and Reaves are horrendous at both. No other way to slice it. Hunt is mixed.

Not directed at you, but I’m really trying to understand why we can use even strength analytics to say the team sucks and only relies on Igor, but seemingly disregard it on an individual basis. Most of the fan base would nuke Goat and Chytil from the roster in the false name of bad even strength play.

When Lafreniere was with them, that line was one of the best in those random stats. But as Pete repeated, they didn’t fucking score. Ever, after the first 2 games they were together. 

most of the time, their invisible except one shift - which is exactly the problem. This is why we complain the team doesn’t put together a 60-minute effort. 

8 hours ago, josh said:

Gauthier shouldn't be in the lineup 

spacer.png

One of these guys has played mostly in the top six. The other hasn't and gets half the amount of icetime, with the dregs of the roster in Chytil and Lafreniere. 

IDK man. I think you got the wrong guy. 

Edited: He doesn't get half the icetime. It's closer than I thought. Still... Hunt is doodies. 

Edited by The Dude
  • VINNY! 1

I guess because the game isn't played on paper, so whatever stats that show some of these guys as productive yet they actually produce nothing on the ice  isn't helpful towards the bottom line of making this team better.

I mean Reaves was brought here to hit people. For the most part he does that most night, I don't think anybody else expected anything else. Rooney does ok for a 4C. The rest of the turds, whether their 4th, 5th, 1st or last in some stat doesn't change the fact they've contributed virtually nothing. The third line is garbage. Now if the GF% indicates each one of them can individually can stand there in the same circle with the others and point at them and say see my GF% is fine so it must be you that's great.

I guess.

That's why I think there's basically a stat for everything meaning it depends on what you're (not anyone here personally) is trying to say you can find something to fit the narrative.

I'll stick with my naivety and say they (the handful pointed out before) are proven junk.  Hunt, Chytil, McKegg, Gauthier and combined with Kakko and Yukon not doing much of anything leaves us woefully short up front.

Thank you Igor.

Edited by jsrangers

15 minutes ago, The Dude said:

spacer.png

One of these guys has played mostly in the top six. The other hasn't and gets half the amount of icetime, with the dregs of the roster in Chytil and Lafreniere. 

IDK man. I think you got the wrong guy. 

Hunt is Rudy. They need that attitude. He’s involved in almost every scrum. He goes up and down the line up, both wings, plays hard, shoots the puck. Gauthier Carrie’s the puck down the right boards, cuts to the net and misses… once every three months and then we never see him again. 

i was the second behind Dunny on my desire to get Gauthier, but he’s been disappointing. Really disappointing. Doesn’t use his size, doesn’t use his speed, a giant pussy, not physical while being an absolute physical beast, doesn’t shoot when he’s got a great shot. He’s just a placeholder. 

i pick hunt over Gauthier because he tries. It’s that simple. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

15 minutes ago, josh said:

Hunt is Rudy. They need that attitude. He’s involved in almost every scrum. He goes up and down the line up, both wings, plays hard, shoots the puck. Gauthier Carrie’s the puck down the right boards, cuts to the net and misses… once every three months and then we never see him again. 

i was the second behind Dunny on my desire to get Gauthier, but he’s been disappointing. Really disappointing. Doesn’t use his size, doesn’t use his speed, a giant pussy, not physical while being an absolute physical beast, doesn’t shoot when he’s got a great shot. He’s just a placeholder. 

i pick hunt over Gauthier because he tries. It’s that simple. 

Nah. Hunt really kinda hides in the background during scrums and is 14th on the team in shots while mainly being played in the top 6. 

Gauthier only by default deserves a shot in the top 6 for an extended amount of time.  Hrs never been afforded the opportunity.  Hunt has done nothing with his extended look and magnifies the need for 1 or 2 top 6 RWs. Someone else deserves that chance. Time to try something else. Anything else. 

Gallant is known for finding the correct role for the guys on his roster. Using Hunt in the top 6 and wasting the talents of Gauthier and Chytil in spots that haven't worked most of the season, isn't doing that.

His formula for the top 6 RWs and the 3rd line is failing and he's being hard headed about using certain players in odd ways. Hunt and Goodrow in the top 6 for long runs, shouldn't happen over long runs of trying Chytil or Gauthier in those spots .

Really puzzled in the fact that he will not use Goodrow as a center. Especially for that 3rd line. A line that's needed a major shuffle most of the year. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

I guess because the game isn't played on paper, so whatever stats that show some of these guys as productive yet they actually produce nothing on the ice  isn't helpful towards the bottom line of making this team better.

I mean Reaves was brought here to hit people. For the most part he does that most night, I don't think anybody else expected anything else. Rooney does ok for a 4C. The rest of the turds, whether their 4th, 5th, 1st or last in some stat doesn't change the fact they've contributed virtually nothing. The third line is garbage. Now if the GF% indicates each one of them can individually can stand there in the same circle with the others and point at them and say see my GF% is fine so it must be you that's great.

I guess.

That's why I think there's basically a stat for everything meaning it depends on what you're (not anyone here personally) is trying to say you can find something to fit the narrative.

I'll stick with my naivety and say they (the handful pointed out before) are proven junk.  Hunt, Chytil, McKegg, Gauthier and combined with Kakko and Yukon not doing much of anything leaves us woefully short up front.

Thank you Igor.

Well that’s pretty much what I’m trying to say. I take the advanced stats with a grain of salt. Saying the team sucks cause analytics, while saying certain players suck despite their analytics. I don’t know. It seems contradictory.

I personally don’t care that much that the 2nd line doesn’t have the best analytics this year, when they generally produce in numbers that matter. And I don’t care if the players who generally make up the 3rd line have good analytics in comparison to the rest of the team, if they aren’t turning it into tangible results.

Not saying advanced analytics are useless, not at all. It just gets to be pretty sketchy if we use them to support one thing and disregard them so as not to support another.

In the end, for me, real production will always remain king. Players are paid based on it, and players like Goat will be in the Swiss league if they don’t start converting their chances, regardless of what the xGF story says.

• VINNY! 2
  • Applause 1

14 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Well that’s pretty much what I’m trying to say. I take the advanced stats with a grain of salt. Saying the team sucks cause analytics, while saying certain players suck despite their analytics. I don’t know. It seems contradictory.

I personally don’t care that much that the 2nd line doesn’t have the best analytics this year, when they generally produce in numbers that matter. And I don’t care if the players who generally make up the 3rd line have good analytics in comparison to the rest of the team, if they aren’t turning it into tangible results.

Not saying advanced analytics are useless, not at all. It just gets to be pretty sketchy if we use them to support one thing and disregard them so as not to support another.

In the end, for me, real production will always remain king. Players are paid based on it, and players like Goat will be in the Swiss league if they don’t start converting their chances, regardless of what the xGF story says.

At 5v5 the Rangers are 18th in goal differential and 23rd in goals for.

That's not advanced stats. 

That's the Rangers having a great PP and sucking at 5v5 and everything else is Igor. 

44 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Nah. Hunt really kinda hides in the background during scrums and is 14th on the team in shots while mainly being played in the top 6. 

Gauthier only by default deserves a shot in the top 6 for an extended amount of time.  Hrs never been afforded the opportunity.  Hunt has done nothing with his extended look and magnifies the need for 1 or 2 top 6 RWs. Someone else deserves that chance. Time to try something else. Anything else. 

Gallant is known for finding the correct role for the guys on his roster. Using Hunt in the top 6 and wasting the talents of Gauthier and Chytil in spots that haven't worked most of the season, isn't doing that.

His formula for the top 6 RWs and the 3rd line is failing and he's being hard headed about using certain players in odd ways. Hunt and Goodrow in the top 6 for long runs, shouldn't happen over long runs of trying Chytil or Gauthier in those spots .

Really puzzled in the fact that he will not use Goodrow as a center. Especially for that 3rd line. A line that's needed a major shuffle most of the year. 

You just like the tall guys, size queen 😂