• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021 Training Camp Thread

LindG1000

2 hours ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Disappointed for Richards here, but there really mustn't be a spot to be had. 13th must effectively be Hunt's.

I think we'll see Richards again soon. He had a strong performance and was 70% on FOs last night. This team needs anyone who can remotely win a FO.

Thought he looked good yesterday but yea a victim of numbers here. 

Good depth to have I suppose 

1 minute ago, siddious said:

Because there’s nothing special about him. He’s be a bottom 6 player if he made the team. Someone else said he’s basically Rooney and that’s spot on. 

actually i saw the opposite.  he was standing still in the defensive zone in the 3rd with the puck trying to stickhandle and got stripped, of course.  Defensively he was not impressive

18 hours ago, CCCP said:

actually i saw the opposite.  he was standing still in the defensive zone in the 3rd with the puck trying to stickhandle and got stripped, of course.  Defensively he was not impressive

Only time I noticed him was on some nice plays so I guess I cant speak to the other points. Guess the coach agreed with you.

In other news....

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2021/09/29/ny-rangers-projecting-special-teams-units-gerard-gallant/5898729001/

It's also a safe bet that Artemi Panarin, who posted three points (one goal and two assists) against the Bruins, and Mika Zibanejad will be on PP1. And it would be a surprise if Chris Kreider doesn't continue in his role as the net-front presence, which leaves only one opening.

No surprise there, guess that 5th spot is still open though

The past two seasons, that spot was mostly filled by Ryan Strome. The problem was, after finishing seventh in the league with a 22.9% success rate in 2019-20, they dropped to 14th last season at 20.7%.

Inconsistency and predictability were the main issues, particularly with four right-handed shots along the perimeter. The only lefty, Kreider, was inside and in a difficult position to fire off effective one-timers. Strome, who usually played in the right circle, often couldn't get his shot off due to poor angles.

Does Gallant want more lefty-righty balance than that?

The three righties he referred to are presumably Fox, Panarin and Zibanejad. He didn't mention a fourth, with the prevailing belief that Gallant will work in a second lefty to go along with Kreider.

The leading candidate is Alexis Lafrenière, who has been playing on the same line with Zibanejad and Kreider so far in camp. Kakko presents another option, especially if he can improve the efficiency his one-timer from the right circle.

Call me crazy but I wonder if Jones (who shoots left) wouldnt be a nice addition to that line as another offensive guy rather than a forward.

In terms of PK:

Look for Trouba, Ryan Lindgren and Patrik Nemeth to carry heavier PK loads, but Fox and Miller will certainly get used

I am sure Vince is just assuming here but sounds like he expects Nemeth to certainly be on the team.

"It takes a little bit of time, but I think you can turn Kakko and those type of players into good PK guys also."

Also sounds like Gallant is pretty set on getting Kakko to become a PK'r

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CCCP said:

I could definitely see Kakko be a good PKer. He played very well defensively last season

They need to train a few players to pick up the role, regardless, but I agree. He's one of the team's best defensive forwards, anyway. Hossa-like.

30 minutes ago, siddious said:

Call me crazy but I wonder if Jones (who shoots left) wouldnt be a nice addition to that line as another offensive guy rather than a forward.

I suggested this previously. There's no rule you have to play 4 forwards. Other teams just aren't blessed with the offensively inclined D we have. 

Would just run PP2 off the half wall with a true puck distributor/QB. Nice change of pace and a different look. 

1 minute ago, Pete said:

I suggested this previously. There's no rule you have to play 4 forwards. Other teams just aren't blessed with the offensively inclined D we have. 

Would just run PP2 off the half wall with a true puck distributor/QB. Nice change of pace and a different look. 

And this is coming from a guy who has been eager to see Lundqvist on this team for years now.

I like the PP2 idea too. You dont have to have the same strategy for both lines. Make it harder to PK for teams.

27 minutes ago, siddious said:

I think this is quite a telling bit of info 

Kinda puts to bed the notion of Quinn's system being "just skate fast and stop in a place."

This just tells me that no one understood it, in that room or on this forum.

I really hope we keep Strome, and sign him to a nice deal that works well for both.  He's done everything you can ask a #2 C to do.  I also have a sneaky suspicion he's going to score about 25 goals this season for about 70 points.

.....now where's that Ballsy Predictions thread!!!! 

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon