• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021 Training Camp Thread

LindG1000

1 hour ago, Drew a Penalty said:

I'm a little excited to see this fourth line get to work. I'm a big fan of Rooney's after last season. I think it'll benefit him to have competent linemates that actually complement him. Rooney and Blais both have fairly decent offensive skillsets so I wouldn't be shocked if they score more than we expect over the season.

That's the dream.

4 hours ago, torontonyr said:

Kakko's interview was interesting. He was joking, but he said that [fighting] wasn't his job. He's right, but does that resonate with this team?

I wonder what they think of that mentality.

I mean do we really want Kakko fighting?he'd get destroyed

Being in some scrums wouldn't hurt,some face washes but nothing more

Seemed like Reaves was teaching Krav how to protect himself more that actually fight anyone. Everyone should know how to do that. You don't want a Svchnikov situation happening to any of the young guys no matter how unlikely. 

As far as Kakko not fighting, I don't know why anyone would want him to.

• Applause 2

42 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I have a feeling Kakko is gonna be a beast....I haven't seen him yet this season, but he's a pretty big dude.  You get a guy like that in the gym, and he's gonna be jacked.

So Kakko went home to Finland in the offseason and put on roughly six pounds of muscle.

“I think guys over here, they are bigger and stronger,” he said Monday. “So I think I need to be [at the] same level as those guys.”

https://nypost.com/2021/09/27/rangers-kaapo-kakko-adds-muscle-in-hopes-of-breaking-out/

Fantasy Hard Work GIF by Earth, Wind & Fire

4 minutes ago, siddious said:

Yeah exactly, Nashty!  That's better ...6' 3" and 205 is definitely better than last season.  I'll bet this kid, when his man-body kicks in, gets to about 215 lbs and he's going to be a force on the puck.

At least he gets the idea of "I need to go to the net".  ..and if you're going to the net, you best not be a featherweight, kiddo!!!

The kid's gonna be a gamer....He's my Selke choice!!!  LOL

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Yeah exactly, Nashty!  That's better ...6' 3" and 205 is definitely better than last season.  I'll bet this kid, when his man-body kicks in, gets to about 215 lbs and he's going to be a force on the puck.

At least he gets the idea of "I need to go to the net".  ..and if you're going to the net, you best not be a featherweight, kiddo!!!

The kid's gonna be a gamer....He's my Selke choice!!!  LOL

I still think he needs to try and play like Jagr. He likes holding on to the puck and hes big. Just needs to learn how to do what he does at the NHL level. Not saying hes as good as jagr but style wise..

• Applause 1

9 minutes ago, siddious said:

I still think he needs to try and play like Jagr. He likes holding on to the puck and hes big. Just needs to learn how to do what he does at the NHL level. Not saying hes as good as jagr but style wise..

Jagr has such powerful leg strength...and his skating was impeccable (....kinda still is at age 83!!).  He'd be a great model for Kakko to copy.  I actually see Kakko becoming more like a Patrice Bergeron type....kind of a 2 way turnover machine in the neutral zone.

He has great ability to score and make plays in the offensive zone as well, and that's why I see this kid as a future star.  The only thing he needs is to get bigger, stronger, and play more NHL games. 

I think Gallant, with his NHL experience, can be a very valuable guide for these up and coming offensive players.  Yukon will definitely benefit from it as well.  But I'm really pumped to see these 2 guys come into their own over the next couple of seasons.

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Jagr has such powerful leg strength...and his skating was impeccable (....kinda still is at age 83!!).  He'd be a great model for Kakko to copy.  I actually see Kakko becoming more like a Patrice Bergeron type....kind of a 2 way turnover machine in the neutral zone.

He has great ability to score and make plays in the offensive zone as well, and that's why I see this kid as a future star.  The only thing he needs is to get bigger, stronger, and play more NHL games. 

I think Gallant, with his NHL experience, can be a very valuable guide for these up and coming offensive players.  Yukon will definitely benefit from it as well.  But I'm really pumped to see these 2 guys come into their own over the next couple of seasons.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CCCP said:

imagine these kids we have are hitting their prime, putting up points and basically ready to take over the world? but we cant sign everyone because we're still paying for Panarin, Zibby, and Kreider?  But i guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there

I mean, the chances of this happening are really low. Not even the Leafs or Pens ran into this problem where they effectively batted 1,000.

Even now, Kakko projects as a complementary top-six player, not the next Rick Nash he was billed as. I seriously doubt he's going to be making like $8 million a year any time soon. Kravtsov and Lafreniere both have a lot to prove, too.

But, yeah, cross that bridge when we get there, for sure.

• Applause 1

52 minutes ago, Phil said:

I mean, the chances of this happening are really low. Not even the Leafs or Pens ran into this problem where they effectively batted 1,000.

Even now, Kakko projects as a complementary top-six player, not the next Rick Nash he was billed as. I seriously doubt he's going to be making like $8 million a year any time soon. Kravtsov and Lafreniere both have a lot to prove, too.

it was an "imagine" scenario but i could see it definitely happening. 

53 minutes ago, Phil said:

Shut Your Mouth Reaction GIF

8 hours ago, siddious said:

This. Why overhaul his game? Let him do what he does best. Have the puck on his stick and go around or through people. 

It's great to want a complete player, but I never think it's a good idea to strip away a young players top attributes and force them to do something completely different.  

How often are one dimensional players ever converted into complete players? Especially at such a young age and after a dominant Jr career? 

I guess times can change,  but I feel like he never really got off the ground and running before they decided to "fix" him.. 

3 hours ago, TwoMinutesForNothing said:

I think Kakko is going to be a monster.  If he puts up 20-30 goals and 50-60 points and plays defensively like he did last season then he's worth at least $8 mil a season. 

Maybe, but he'll be bridged and have to prove it