• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021 Training Camp Thread

LindG1000

40 minutes ago, TwoMinutesForNothing said:

Hunt's advanced stats are very good.  Better than Goodrow's and Reaves weren't terrible until last season, which is likely why he'll be a bad signing as he is clearly on a steep decline.  

Better than Goodrow's? No.

Goodrow.pngHunt.png

Goodrow v Hunt.png

There are some analytics that prove that isn't true. I put them in quotes so they can be collapsed. Hunt might be "close" but he played less than half of what Goodrow played. He played no time on the penalty kill whereas Goodrow was 5th in the league among forwards in penalty kill minutes. So he's clearly trusted there.

I'm gonna admit, I haven't watched much Hunt. I'm gonna wager you haven't either because why would you be watching the Coyotes? And why would you be watching Dryden Hunt of all people on that roster? I have seen enough Goodrow, though. I also know who Goodrow matches up against and that's the best in the league. He does that job so well that he's been on the ice for the waning seconds of the last two Stanley Cup championships. Dryden Hunt has barely been able to stick on an NHL roster. I'm not going to count him as better than a very sought after player like Goodrow because the analytics say he's close, not even better.

Adam Clendening was supposed to be on the verge of something if he ever got any more time. All of the graphs said so! What excatly became of him?

• Applause 1

19 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Better than Goodrow's? No.

There are some analytics that prove that isn't true. I put them in quotes so they can be collapsed. Hunt might be "close" but he played less than half of what Goodrow played. He played no time on the penalty kill whereas Goodrow was 5th in the league among forwards in penalty kill minutes. So he's clearly trusted there.

I'm gonna admit, I haven't watched much Hunt. I'm gonna wager you haven't either because why would you be watching the Coyotes? And why would you be watching Dryden Hunt of all people on that roster? I have seen enough Goodrow, though. I also know who Goodrow matches up against and that's the best in the league. He does that job so well that he's been on the ice for the waning seconds of the last two Stanley Cup championships. Dryden Hunt has barely been able to stick on an NHL roster. I'm not going to count him as better than a very sought after player like Goodrow because the analytics say he's close, not even better.

Adam Clendening was supposed to be on the verge of something if he ever got any more time. All of the graphs said so! What excatly became of him?

Yeah, I'm being slightly hyperbolic, but they are close and that's my issue.  Goodrow is not worth the money when he brings the same type of game that a much cheaper player can bring if you discover that player on your own rather than overpay a guy that has already emerged. Hunt could be Goodrow in a year or even this year and I'd much rather take my chances with that then be saddled with that terrible Goodrow contract.  

1 minute ago, TwoMinutesForNothing said:

Yeah, I'm being slightly hyperbolic, but they are close and that's my issue.  Goodrow is not worth the money when he brings the same type of game that a much cheaper player can bring if you discover that player on your own rather than overpay a guy that has already emerged. Hunt could be Goodrow in a year or even this year and I'd much rather take my chances with that then be saddled with that terrible Goodrow contract.  

That's the key word. Could. Adam Clendening could've been good too. 

Again, Hunt has none of the exposure to situations that Goodrow has faced. Goodrow is definitively a top penalty killer in the game. There are almost no players in the league who played more than him and faced tougher competition as a result. You can look at the bar and say "Oh, but then why is his bar in the red?" Because do you think Barclay Goodrow is the type of player to turn chances the other way on the PK? No. He's just gonna clear the other puck. He won't generate shots for his team to increase his GAR.

He was also an excellent performer at even strength as clearly visible. He was so trusted that his ice time increased from 15:07 in the regular season to 17:05 in the postseason. His shorthanded time decreased from 2:26 to 2:02 so it wasn't as though Tampa started magically taking more penalties thus increasing his time. He was just trusted along with his line in absolute shutdown capacities.

Dryden Hunt doesn't play on the penalty kill. So that's something he can't provide that Goodrow can. Now, Pavel Buchnevich did very well on the PK after never having played there before. So you can say that someone can learn and be effective. Sure. Buchnevich also had played roughly 250 games by that point so you can say he was considerably more experience than Hunt. 

Is Goodrow overpaid? Just a smidgeon. Is there a reason for it? Yes. Just listen to his Stanley Cup winning coach:

Hunt could be a Goodrow. But he isn't. So why don't we hope that he can eventually become one, and then we have two, instead of digging straight into fiction.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Brooks on faceoffs

The idea, we’re told, was born in 2005-06, when Chris Drury was co-captain in Buffalo, and the Sabres brought a retired referee to training camp to work with the team on the rules changes that arose out of the Shanahan Summit during Owners’ Lockout II.

Sixteen years later and now the general manager of the Rangers, Drury reached into his past and then out to retired NHL linesman Pierre Racicot to work with his team on faceoffs during the opening days of training camp.

Racicot, a 54-year-old veteran of 1,880 regular season games and 254 playoff contests, who dropped the puck tens of thousands of times, worked with the club’s faceoff men following each of Friday’s training camp sessions, imparting his wisdom regarding rules at the dots and advice on positioning and stance.

This represents an innovative approach to confront a historically serious deficiency that has undermined the Rangers for years. Last season, the Rangers won just 44.5 percent of their faceoffs, which was not only last in the league, but also ranked 273rd of the 274 NHL individual team-seasons since 2012-13. The previous season’s 45.9 percent ranked 30th in the NHL and 260th since 2012-13. The 2018-19 club’s 46.9 percent also ranked 30th in the league while placing 252nd over the last nine years.

The idea, we’re told, was born in 2005-06, when Chris Drury was co-captain in Buffalo, and the Sabres brought a retired referee to training camp to work with the team on the rules changes that arose out of the Shanahan Summit during Owners’ Lockout II.

Sixteen years later and now the general manager of the Rangers, Drury reached into his past and then out to retired NHL linesman Pierre Racicot to work with his team on faceoffs during the opening days of training camp.

Racicot, a 54-year-old veteran of 1,880 regular season games and 254 playoff contests, who dropped the puck tens of thousands of times, worked with the club’s faceoff men following each of Friday’s training camp sessions, imparting his wisdom regarding rules at the dots and advice on positioning and stance.

This represents an innovative approach to confront a historically serious deficiency that has undermined the Rangers for years. Last season, the Rangers won just 44.5 percent of their faceoffs, which was not only last in the league, but also ranked 273rd of the 274 NHL individual team-seasons since 2012-13. The previous season’s 45.9 percent ranked 30th in the NHL and 260th since 2012-13. The 2018-19 club’s 46.9 percent also ranked 30th in the league while placing 252nd over the last nine years.

Link: https://nypost.com/2021/09/24/rangers-using-innovative-approach-to-help-end-faceoff-woes/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

Fair. Henriksson probably could've handled the AHL this year. No harm in getting another year in the SHL considering he hasn't shown much offensively there.

Rempe had no purpose beyond hitting last night. He seemed more concern with making contact than anything else. He's not even really fast enough to make contact because he's easy to sidestep. I think he hit the boards more than he hit Islanders.