• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021 Training Camp Thread

LindG1000

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

Not at all? ?

I mean punting him into the Hudson isn't an option. But it seems like through special teams use he's no longer the PP guy. He might not even be the main PK guy given how that's supposed to be Nemeth's big thing.

I haven't found Trouba's usage to be the issue. Trouba is.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

40 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

And 4 righties on the PP1 have already been exposed. Especially when the guy up top (Fox) don't have a good shot. It's really just Panarin from the left thats a threat with this setup.

Exposed as one of the top PP units in the league?  They'd likely be 2nd if Zib didn't lose his one timer for 2 months.

• Applause 1

38 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Exposed as one of the top PP units in the league?  They'd likely be 2nd if Zib didn't lose his one timer for 2 months.

Were they really that tho? I mean having Fox (arguably top 3 PPQB), Panarin (arguably the best passer in the league) and Zib (top 5 goal scorer) should result in a top 10 PP atleast.

If Im not mistanken, the PP was not really good at the end of last season. It looked like teams started to understand what Rangers wanted to do on the PP. Block of the left side (Panarin) and let Strome have the puck as much as he wants on the right side. I also think they scored like 10 PP goals in 2 games against the flyers last season, but struggled against better teams.

The unit works fine, I just think it can really improve with a lefty on the right side. And they have the talent to do it.

10 minutes ago, Pete said:

That's the 5th line, dawg!

I know he’s just trying out today. 4th line on opening night roster.

(Gallant said he just wants an even # of d for practice)

Just now, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Were they really that tho? I mean having Fox (arguably top 3 PPQB), Panarin (arguably the best passer in the league) and Zib (top 5 goal scorer) should result in a top 10 PP atleast.

If Im not mistanken, the PP was not really good at the end of last season. It looked like teams started to understand what Rangers wanted to do on the PP. Block of the left side (Panarin) and let Strome have the puck as much as he wants on the right side. I also think they scored like 10 PP goals in 2 games against the flyers last season, but struggled against better teams.

The unit works fine, I just think it can really improve with a lefty on the right side. And they have the talent to do it.

I agree it needs work but I don’t think they’re far off. Assuming zibanajad doesn’t have COVID or tuberculosis or something to start the season I can see that PP being top 10.

I don't really even think Strome should be on PP 1 and the only reason I can think of is that it's a much easier pass for Kreider to make from from behind the net to a RH shot because that's safety valve pass and it keeps the puck away from the middle of the ice.

But that's really specific and pure speculation. I'd have Jones or Kakko there, let Lafreniere own PP2. He'd be too deferential on PP1.

9 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

lol, click the link...7th over the last two years

They were 4th over the last 2 months of the season...

http://www.nhl.com/stats/teams?report=powerplay&reportType=game&dateFrom=2021-03-13&dateTo=2021-05-15&gameType=2&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=powerPlayPct&page=0&pageSize=50

• Like 1

1 minute ago, siddious said:

Im torn because I have been dying to see Lundqvist on this team since we drafted him but Jones has really looked good this pre-season.

Not so bold prediction: Both will be on the team by the end of the season.

It's an awfully good problem to have. It's just unfortunate that they're both on the small side. 

Jones seems like he has a pretty good outlook if he doesn't make it. 

• Like 1

Just now, Drew a Penalty said:

It's an awfully good problem to have. It's just unfortunate that they're both on the small side. 

Jones seems like he has a pretty good outlook if he doesn't make it. 

Yes it is. If "playoffs or die" wasnt a motto this season I'd even suggest they send Miller down and play two rookies on D.

And yea sucks that both are on the smaller side, especially when you factor in Fox and Lindgren are too.

18 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

The idea of having Panarin, Fox, and Jones all on the ice at the same time feeding each other is wet dream level. 

I too, want a powerplay where Tony up in the 400s screams SHOOOOOOOOOOOT the second they win the draw.

Just now, Pete said:

Not out of the realm of possibility considering he was drafted based mostly on athleticism. He still has a lot to learn. 

Right. I think we saw some of his deficiencies on his display when he was out for five goals the other night. He's a talented athlete but his decision-making and lack of refined skating and puck skills could hinder him. You can see that with him spilling out because he overstretched on a poke that he's still even figuring out how to use his size. He has some skill and physical limitations to figure out.

"Team building exercises" in Providence. Was this all booked when Quinn, a RI guy, was still here ?

Stayed a few years back in Providence for a fall weekend. All the locals without exception said "YOu should have gone to Newport". Having been to both, they're not wrong. 

8 minutes ago, Bugg said:

"Team building exercises" in Providence. Was this all booked when Quinn, a RI guy, was still here ?

Stayed a few years back in Providence for a fall weekend. All the locals without exception said "YOu should have gone to Newport". Having been to both, they're not wrong. 

Was supposed to be only Quinn and Howden but reservations were non-refundable so now the whole team is going.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1