• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021 Training Camp Thread

LindG1000

9 hours ago, shestYORKin said:

there’s so much bad take here that we’ll just have to see how well it ages. 

Miller’s already shown more amp, like the 2nd or 3rd game when Shesty got snowed and he immediately engaged—with Reaves at his side. 

last year was a total shitshow. hardly gonna blame a rookie for struggling some through a million distractions. and now a whole new coaching staff and system to adjust to. this is absolutely what it means to “be a pro” and not something that we need to hide him from.

and anyway, as far as his play, with all this dissecting it should be obvious that our AHL pair have also outplayed Trouba this preseason. and instead of overreacting he’s being sized up for captain. it’s almost like there’s a big picture here that’s kind of important. 

classic disconnect in perspective between fandom and inside the team. 

Geez. They make it sound like MILLER won the Norris. Nice fluff piece.  I'd have thought the coach would shit all over the 2nd year player (that's a joke btw).. 

The point you're missing is that I'm not saying Miller isn't going to be good. He's just not there yet and I think his assignments are a bit much for him at this time. His offensive game isn't really a strong point, nor his physicality. His skating and his stick work ARE. With Trouba admitting he himself is not going to be a guy putting up points (in this article) and Gallant saying stuff as if Miller CAN... Irks me. I don't see it and it's a lot to ask from him, especially with how not good he's played since mid last season. 

I expect better than what we've seen from that point till now. I think he will get there. I just don't think you should be expecting it out of him right this second.

Like I said I was thinking he'd come in to camp and be a monster. It's not there yet. Not sure why you take offense to anyone saying that either. I'm not saying trade him. I'm not saying waive him. I'm saying time to regain confidence and figure out what his game is can and should be done in Hartford.  It may only take a month! It can't hurt. 

Edited by The Dude

4 hours ago, siddious said:

By all accounts he is the Rangers top prospect. You saw him in 3 pre-season games. I think you are rushing to judgement here a bit. Let him get comfortable, he might not have lit it up but he didnt look out of place either. I think it would be irresponsible not to give him your top prospect a chance. 

I will grant you that he looks tiny. 

Shrug.. I may be blowing this whole thing out of proportion. I just think the Rangers are rushing and fast tracking players, when they really don't or didn't have to. 

I'm all for giving prospects a chance.  I've bitched about it for years. Some should be shoehorned in while others should need seasoning when there isn't any rush to fill a spot. They have so many young options that they should be doing a taxi squad and shuffling them all in or out. Lundkvist doesn't NEED to play bottom 6 minutes here. I don't think it will hurt him. But I do think he would benefit more by playing in the A, while the Rangers evaluate others who are more accustomed to the NA rink. 

Either way,  I think the Rangers have an ass wagon of talent that they seriously need evaluate over the next year and a half. Or less. Can't keep em all. And you can't  have 3 first pairing RH D men. 

• Applause 1

5 hours ago, The Dude said:

The point you're missing is that I'm not saying Miller isn't going to be good.

actually not missing that point at all or putting those words in anyone’s mouth. 

all I’m saying is I don’t get sending the kid down before the season even begins. not having a “monster” camp is not a reason. he had an impressive rookie year as a whole and it’s his job to lose. the coaching staff and his teammates clearly support him and he could use time being mentored further at the NHL level (hence Reaves, the team dad).  

and fwiw it would be really out of form for Gallant. everything we know about him is that he doesn’t shake lines up a lot at all. he’s about stability and developing chemistry. the kids in Hartford will get their chances with injuries, suspensions, international scandals, etc. sending Miller down right away would just be bizarre and seem outside the box for Gallant’s approach. it would actually much more of a Quinn-like move and tbh we’re trying to get past that. 

• Applause 1

12 hours ago, The Dude said:

Shrug.. I may be blowing this whole thing out of proportion. I just think the Rangers are rushing and fast tracking players, when they really don't or didn't have to. 

I'm all for giving prospects a chance.  I've bitched about it for years. Some should be shoehorned in while others should need seasoning when there isn't any rush to fill a spot. They have so many young options that they should be doing a taxi squad and shuffling them all in or out. Lundkvist doesn't NEED to play bottom 6 minutes here. I don't think it will hurt him. But I do think he would benefit more by playing in the A, while the Rangers evaluate others who are more accustomed to the NA rink. 

Either way,  I think the Rangers have an ass wagon of talent that they seriously need evaluate over the next year and a half. Or less. Can't keep em all. And you can't  have 3 first pairing RH D men. 

I actually don’t disagree at all. The next 12-18 months are vital for this franchise to see where some players are at. From the outside looking in, giving up on young, controllable assets is often times frowned upon. But with the drafts the Rangers have had, and the limited space they have on their blue line and in their top half of the forward lines, difficult decisions are going to have to be made. Especially if they’re going to be looking to take a step while Panarin and Zibanejad are at the height of their powers. You can’t spend all of Panarin and Zibanejads top years strictly developing young guys; at some point, if possible, they may need to make a difficult decision on a younger player that, while talented, may not necessarily have a role here because they’re blocked out by other players, and move them out for a veteran type that fills a role. 

I’m not trying to put the horse before the buggy here. Developing and contending is what we should be doing because we have the talent to do both at this point. But, why sign Mika to a monster deal where we know he will regress along it (not to mention waste Panarin at his best) if we’re not gonna at the very least take a couple of hacks at it while they’re still in their prime? I know the object right now is to develop these kids and that should be the key. But man, let’s not ignore the fact we have one of maybe the 2 best wingers in the sport and also a potential 40-50 goal first line center here.

9 hours ago, shestYORKin said:

actually not missing that point at all or putting those words in anyone’s mouth. 

all I’m saying is I don’t get sending the kid down before the season even begins. not having a “monster” camp is not a reason. he had an impressive rookie year as a whole and it’s his job to lose. the coaching staff and his teammates clearly support him and he could use time being mentored further at the NHL level (hence Reaves, the team dad).  

and fwiw it would be really out of form for Gallant. everything we know about him is that he doesn’t shake lines up a lot at all. he’s about stability and developing chemistry. the kids in Hartford will get their chances with injuries, suspensions, international scandals, etc. sending Miller down right away would just be bizarre and seem outside the box for Gallant’s approach. it would actually much more of a Quinn-like move and tbh we’re trying to get past that. 

This team is not in the business of developing players anymore if the mandate is to make the playoffs, the AHL is where players develop, learn, and grow.

Gallant should be dressing the guys who give him the best chance to win, if that's jones, so be it. There should be plenty of shuttling back and forth for Miller and Jones. There's no point in trotting out a second year player who's clearly struggling in the NHL every night.. go to the AHL and develop your craft. There's no shame in using a developmental League to develop players.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, shestYORKin said:

What don't you get about sending down a player that is struggling? He IS struggling.  Has been since last season.  If you think he played fine all last season,  then that's the disconnect here and we can't go further. 

IMO the pairing really doesn't work or make much sense in a traditional way. You want one stay at home type with and offensive type. In the article you shared, Trouba seems to be claiming he's not offensive material (!??! WTF did you get paid for and bitch about in Winnipeg???). I honestly don't see Miller as a gifted offensive D man.

The 2 together COULD form a sick "shut down " pairing,  where you don't care about any production.  If that's the plan and the way they want to go about it... ok fine. 8 mill for Trouba though? This is the captain material? 

I say the pairing needs to be broken up and an offensive type be put with Trouba. The pairing shouldn't have been a set in stone thing for Gallant to not want to change... it ended poorly last season.  The only definite pairing should have been Lindgren/Fox.

That's why I say Jones.  Trouba has yet to be paired with an actual offensive Dman (left handed). He's played with Skjei, Hajek,  DeAngelo for 5 minutes,  and now Miller.. 

And again I really don't get why you think Reaves would mentor a Dman. When infact the artwork showed says Miller looks up to TROUBA as a mentor. I ask again. Do you keep saying this because of the color of their skin?

15 minutes ago, The Dude said:

What don't you get about sending down a player that is struggling? He IS struggling.  Has been since last season.  If you think he played fine all last season,  then that's the disconnect here and we can't go further. 

IMO the pairing really doesn't work or make much sense in a traditional way. You want one stay at home type with and offensive type. In the article you shared, Trouba seems to be claiming he's not offensive material (!??! WTF did you get paid for and bitch about in Winnipeg???). I honestly don't see Miller as a gifted offensive D man.

The 2 together COULD form a sick "shut down " pairing,  where you don't care about any production.  If that's the plan and the way they want to go about it... ok fine. 8 mill for Trouba though? This is the captain material? 

I say the pairing needs to be broken up and an offensive type be put with Trouba. The pairing shouldn't have been a set in stone thing for Gallant to not want to change... it ended poorly last season.  The only definite pairing should have been Lindgren/Fox.

That's why I say Jones.  Trouba has yet to be paired with an actual offensive Dman (left handed). He's played with Skjei, Hajek,  DeAngelo for 5 minutes,  and now Miller.. 

And again I really don't get why you think Reaves would mentor a Dman. When infact the artwork showed says Miller looks up to TROUBA as a mentor. I ask again. Do you keep saying this because of the color of their skin?

No.  You're the only one mentioning that they're both black.  For fucks sake.  He said it when he first brought Revo up...the kids view him as the "team dad".

33 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

No.  You're the only one mentioning that they're both black.  For fucks sake.  He said it when he first brought Revo up...the kids view him as the "team dad".

Ummm no. Reaves called himself the teams dad..  Miller looks up to Trouba.  It's in the article posted.. but yeah..

Love the idea of a 34 year old goon winger "mentoring " a young non physical D man... Makes perfect fucking sense.  Very. VERY common that this happens throughout sports. Yeah. Totally..

Edited by The Dude
  • Like 1

• Phil unpinned this topic
29 minutes ago, josh said:

Did I miss something? Fi al rosters are submitted tomorrow. Rangers need to get rid of 3 bodies.

If they didn't waive anyone, that means McKegg (already waived), and 2 of Lundkvist, Barron, Miller Lafreniere or Kakko

Tinordi and Barron.

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, josh said:

Did I miss something? Fi al rosters are submitted tomorrow. Rangers need to get rid of 3 bodies.

If they didn't waive anyone, that means McKegg (already waived), and 2 of Lundkvist, Barron, Miller Lafreniere or Kakko

Hajek is still on the team. He'll be cut along with Barron, and McKegg.

2 hours ago, josh said:

Probably see Tinordi get sent down,  but needs to clear waivers. I think the Rangers played him a bit more last night to maybe showcase him for other teams,  so he can latch on elsewhere. 

Baron is getting sent down, so that's 23.. Unless...

Is Hunt a lock? I could see him not making the cut and clearing waivers. 

If they can't trade him,, I think they hold onto Hajek on the NHL roster instead of risking losing him on waivers. 

Maybe Reaves lands on IR, which clears a spot for a few days? 

51 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

I think Barron made the team in the short-term. I think if he were cut they probably would've included him in that McKegg tweet considering he doesn't need waivers. Anyone we see get cut will be put on waivers so Hajek and probably Hunt.

Yeah, I think Hartford has a pre season aswell (?), so I guess they would've sent him down by now if that was the plan.

Maybe he's in for Reaves if he misses the first few games?

4 hours ago, Drew a Penalty said:

I think Barron made the team in the short-term. I think if he were cut they probably would've included him in that McKegg tweet considering he doesn't need waivers. Anyone we see get cut will be put on waivers so Hajek and probably Hunt.

This didnt age well ?