• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021 Training Camp Thread

LindG1000

9 hours ago, josh said:

Shit forgot that

"Explain your system" you know it's a system, they're all the same 

I dont like that answer because it almost seems like he hasnt thought about it or something. I am hoping there are some significant changes from what Quinn was trying to do.

With that said, the rest of the intervies is meh but in all fairness he hasnt even been on the ice with them yet so I guess its expected. He's no Torts thats for sure.

I think maybe cut the guy a little slack since he hasn't even gotten a chance to coach these guys yet lol

I also don't think there was anything wrong with the "system" the Rangers played last year or the last few years per se. They probably relied a bit too much on the cross-ice pass and were super stubborn about changing it when it was taken away. They had a great PK and a deadly PP. 

So maybe his goal will to be a little more flexible and get more out of key, young players (Kakko, Laf). That's all you could have really knocked Quinn for and if Gallant can achieve that, great. Success relies on getting Kakko and Laf going anyway, all else held equal. 

This already gives us an idea of some possible line combinations they have in mind based on the groups.

Kreider - Zibanejad - Lafreniere (Team 1)

Panarin - Strome - Kakko (Team 2)

Goodrow - Chytil - Kravtsov (Team 3)

Blais - Rooney - Reaves (Team 3)

Lindgren -  Fox (Team 3)

Miller - Trouba (Team 2)

Nemeth - Lundkvist (Team 1)

Hajek - Jones (Team 3)

These lines are obviously bound to change throughout the season but I'm sure this is what we'll likely see in the first two preseason games in some form. 

• Applause 1

2 hours ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Hunt, Gauthier and Barron getting some defensive action at 5v4. They're all in the running for the 12/13 spot. Playing well on the PK will definitely be a difference maker for whoever makes it.

Whenever I see NHL guys filmed from this angle I always think that they need to be playing on a bigger surface.  There's literally no room for them to maneuver.  

9 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Whenever I see NHL guys filmed from this angle I always think that they need to be playing on a bigger surface.  There's literally no room for them to maneuver.  

Thats what i think about the current NHL standard rink. Just not much room with most players being over 6 feet

4 hours ago, Drew a Penalty said:

This already gives us an idea of some possible line combinations they have in mind based on the groups.

Kreider - Zibanejad - Lafreniere (Team 1)

Panarin - Strome - Kakko (Team 2)

Goodrow - Chytil - Kravtsov (Team 3)

Blais - Rooney - Reaves (Team 3)

Lindgren -  Fox (Team 3)

Miller - Trouba (Team 2)

Nemeth - Lundkvist (Team 1)

Hajek - Jones (Team 3)

These lines are obviously bound to change throughout the season but I'm sure this is what we'll likely see in the first two preseason games in some form. 

Spot on.

6 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

Really wanted Barron to grab a spot on that 4th line.....

He certainly got fucked over more than anyone else with the off-season moves. 

I don't want him to get stuck with 4th line potential. I'd rather have him go down to Hartford for a bit tha stunt his development forcing him into being a "4th liner".

12 minutes ago, siddious said:

That Mika interview was hard to get through. Love the player but dude is not a good interview. I really don’t see captain from him. 

Yeah, between Kreider and Zib I thought they offered a lot of similar responses — Emphasis on one-on-one interaction, lead via example, not explicitly being the cheerleader type. I did prefer Kreider's phrasing and how he eventually spoke about Lafreniere.

Despite my dislike for Kreider and his inconsistency, I can totally see a leader there. I wonder what's stopped him from taking charge before, though. He says the right things and can get others to follow suit, however that hasn't consistently translated in game. 

I'd also like to hear from Trouba just to know if his approach is at all different. Kreider and Zib seem more focused on the interpersonal aspects which are absolutely needed. I'm just curious if Trouba is more of a type to hop on a pedestal and rally the troops.