• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

New York Yankees Thread

Blue Heaven

11 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

It's actually managed to get even more boring. The quality of the game has dropped big time the last few years.

11 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

It hurts.

You guys ain't kidding!!  I used to look forward to watching baseball...it was even fun watching other team's games.  Now, it's like a job to watch a whole game.  A fucking 4 hour snooze fest.  They think a pitch clock is going to change that?  Maybe the length of games, but the "gripping drama" from years past.  I think there's some work to be done there.

Maybe it's me and I'm just getting bored with it, I dunno!

• Like 1

It's just a game full of mostly low averages and high strike out rates. That's not fun, and on top of that games seem to be even longer. A pitch clock and things like that will help, but there are bigger problems. I think a lot of people are ready for the robo umpires too. That's something that's gotten worse too.

• Like 2

Its just boring when compared to watching hockey or football.  The older I am getting the more unwatchable it is.  Too many other things to do than sit there watching this.  I used to be quite the die hard.  Just as much as the Rangers.  I just can't do it anymore.  I admit I have fallen to the ranks of fair weather.  I'll watch the playoffs, that's about it.  And even that is tough.  I will always root for them to win, I always want them to do well.  I just can't sit through it like I used to.  Let's Go Yanks lol

• Bullseye 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

8 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Its just boring when compared to watching hockey or football.  The older I am getting the more unwatchable it is.  Too many other things to do than sit there watching this.  I used to be quite the die hard.  Just as much as the Rangers.  I just can't do it anymore.  I admit I have fallen to the ranks of fair weather.  I'll watch the playoffs, that's about it.  And even that is tough.  I will always root for them to win, I always want them to do well.  I just can't sit through it like I used to.  Let's Go Yanks lol

That's where I'm at too, man.  It's becoming a job to be a fan of modern day baseball.  It's like the fundamental game has changed;  guys used to take pride in NOT striking out.  I remember players like Rod Carew, and even up to Frank Thomas who hardly ever struck out.  They also batted with amazing averages.

Judge was contending for the Triple Crown with an average of .312 or something like that.  Crazy to think Carew once batted .388 in 1977.

There's hardly ever any bunting, and it seems like stealing is a lost art.

Ehhh, I'm getting old and crotchety with baseball.  Nowadays it's just something to keep me busy until the Rangers are back in season. 

Not to say last night's exhibition of horrors was anything to write home about!!!  LOL

• Like 1

I echo both of your sentiments. I still like baseball, I just hate what's happening to it. It's a long season and a lot of games. It's a huge investment timewise, and if you're not enjoying it, why bother? Three or four hours almost every night for one game is a lot. You also have to consider nowadays there are more options for people other than the other sports. There's now just so much more to watch whether it's Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, etc., so much more to listen to, to read, and so many more video games available if you're a gamer. That's not to mention even the people that just do things on social media like Facebook, Instagram and Tiktok.

• Like 2

I used to watch baseball a ton in my early 20's.

Now it's the most manufactured, overproduced sport I've ever seen. They really did let the speadsheets take over with the overshifts of the infield, the specialized roles (once my starter goes 6, I'll bring in my lefty to face their lefty, then my righty who is only effective on 3 days rest after he throws 4 or less curveballs, otherwise he can go on 2 days).

It's fucking brutal. As a hockey fan, baseball is a sport with zero personality, charisma, or emotion.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

On 10/21/2022 at 12:44 PM, Pete said:

Now it's the most manufactured, overproduced sport I've ever seen. They really did let the speadsheets take over with the overshifts of the infield, the specialized roles (once my starter goes 6, I'll bring in my lefty to face their lefty, then my righty who is only effective on 3 days rest after he throws 4 or less curveballs, otherwise he can go on 2 days).

It's fucking brutal. As a hockey fan, baseball is a sport with zero personality, charisma, or emotion.

Baseball has always been at the bottom of my professional list.

1. NHL

2. NFL

3. NBA

4. MLB

Up until I hit 20 or so you could flip 2. and 3. on that list. Otherwise, NHL has always been far and away #1 and MLB #4.

How are Yankee fans feeling about game 3 today?  Think the offense explodes and Cole shuts down the Stros at home?

Baseball has tried a lot of good things.  Expanded playoffs, pitch clocks, starting extra innings with a man on second.  Challenging calls. Next  year the shift is illegal, so is playing on the grass as an infielder.
None of this can change the fact that the pace of the game in inherently slower then the other 3 major sports.  

I would shorten the season, start later and end sooner.  No more games if freezing cold.  It should be done when the NHL and NBA are starting.  
Then there is the complicated discussion of payroll and competitive balance.  You can't simply say have a salary cap.  They have  no real national TV money. Most of it comes from local markets.  So if lucrative teams must share that money with small market clubs there are 2 conditions that should be dealt with.  1.  A spending minimum. You can't take the Yankees' money and give it to the Reds so they can turn a profit and put out an inferior product.
2. Contract or move the  teams that are not drawing fans.  Don't throw a fit if you must close up shop in a city that's long had a team, or move them somewhere more productive.

Or leave it as it is...since I'm a Yankees fan.   

@Parsley explode?  I'd be happy with putting the ball in play

Edited by Bieser
  • LMFAO 1

On 10/21/2022 at 9:36 AM, Sharpshooter said:

It's just a game full of mostly low averages and high strike out rates. That's not fun, and on top of that games seem to be even longer. A pitch clock and things like that will help, but there are bigger problems. I think a lot of people are ready for the robo umpires too. That's something that's gotten worse too.

This is it. Part of it is so many pitchers all throw 100MPH now. If a pitcher touched 100 on a rare occasion 20 years ago it drew oos and aahs from the crowd.

• Keeps it 100 1

35 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Would a sweep threaten the Cashman/Boone jobs? About the only thing left to root for.

I was just thinking this same thought. I said “please get swept” since I have no illusions that they are part of an epic comeback. If so, I’ll gladly eat my word but I’ve seen this film before. Both need to go. It’s out of control. 

On 10/21/2022 at 12:44 PM, Pete said:

Idk... you say this but watch some of these Phillies games and they're electric. 

All Hal cares about is making a profit and the Yankees have done that every year. He sees they made the ALCS, that's all that matters now. This is basically a Wilpon situation. One of the worst owners, General Managers and managers in the game. Hooray.

Edited by Sharpshooter