• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

New York Yankees Thread

Blue Heaven

On 12/7/2023 at 10:02 PM, Br4d said:

It's the curse of being the Yankees.  No cap, huge revenues and a small handful of teams that will spend alongside you.

Soto doesn't look like he's worth the #1 deal in history but he's also one of 5 guys to have 140+ OPS in 5 seasons thru age 24.  The other guys?

Mike Trout, Mickey Mantle, Jimmie Foxx and Ty Cobb.

Think about it.

The range is in.

$40 million per year floor

$70 million per year ceiling

Neither are happening. Split the difference and call it a day. $55 million a year. 12 years =  $660 million.

• Bullseye 1

Scott Boras says not so fast imo. He's the guy who's going to eliminate any chance of an extension without taking the guy to FA and milking every possible dime out of it. If Cohen decides he wants in on Soto he'll outspend the Yankees on him when he becomes a FA and after one season I'm not sure how much of an sentimental allegiance Soto would have toward the Yankees. Maybe a $10 discount if they luck into a WS win?

Hard not to like this move as a Yankees fan until the end of this season especially if they come up short. Then what we look back and go more of the same.

As for Maybin and the no beard comment, guy is salty after getting bounced out of the tv booth in the blink of an eye because the majority of people thought he was just awful and had nothing to add. 

I think the Yankees will sign Soto to an extension at the earliest possible opportunity.  Hopefully that's before the season this year at $55M a year.  If he gets to free agency things will get expensive.

I can't believe I just said the latter.   But it's true.

• 3 months later...

I thought Verdugo had one at the end!  Stroman looked great, but it's a LONG season. 

Last time Yanks were shutout on opening day was my actual birthday: April 14th 1967! 

That's old, man!!!!   LOL

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

I thought Verdugo had one at the end!  Stroman looked great, but it's a LONG season. 

Last time Yanks were shutout on opening day was my actual birthday: April 14th 1967! 

That's old, man!!!!   LOL

Man I thought I spoke too soon....so close

5 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Man I thought I spoke too soon....so close

I like the excitement around the team.  I think it should be a fun season with Soto, Judge and Verdugo out in the outfield!

The vibes were different with this group almost immediately. I think Soto's approach may have rubbed off on some of the team. Stanton has looked better so far. I like how there's that patience back and they're working walks and long at-bats. I just really hope the pitching can hold it together until Cole comes back. Loisaiga out for the year is brutal, and their bullpen feels like the land of misfit toys otherwise. The Marlins are bad, but last night was big for Cortes' confidence and he was able to go deep into the ballgame, which really helped no matter the opponent. These consistent four or five inning starts from the rotation need to not be a regular thing or else this questionable bullpen will be gassed by July.

Edited by Sharpshooter
  • Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Going in I thought this would be a year where the offense would be good, but the pitching wouldn't be as good as it has been. So far that hasn't been the case. I also think Gil being healthy and a regular part of the staff is huge. He's looked quite good so far coming back from Tommy John. Hold the fort until Cole comes back, and they're in great shape. They're also going to get DJ and Dominguez back at some point as well. How great as Volpe looked, though? I was hyped on his progress from last season coming into this one, but damn has he been ridiculous.

5 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Going in I thought this would be a year where the offense would be good, but the pitching wouldn't be as good as it has been. So far that hasn't been the case. I also think Gil being healthy and a regular part of the staff is huge. He's looked quite good so far coming back from Tommy John. Hold the fort until Cole comes back, and they're in great shape. They're also going to get DJ and Dominguez back at some point as well. How great as Volpe looked, though? I was hyped on his progress from last season coming into this one, but damn has he been ridiculous.

Kahnle is also going to make his way back, Sharpy.  He should help out in the pen as well.

They've been really good, and I like seeing that Volpe doesn't swing and miss very often at all anymore.  He's a pretty good hit and run threat.

Just now, Ozzy said:

Kahnle is also going to make his way back, Sharpy.  He should help out in the pen as well.

They've been really good, and I like seeing that Volpe doesn't swing and miss very often at all anymore.  He's a pretty good hit and run threat.

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting about him. lol Effross, too.

Volpe really flattened out his swing late last year and it's really paying dividends now.

• Like 1

It's nice to see some success early, but there's even more reason for optimism in upcoming years. Volpe is a stud. Domingues looked like a stud last year before his injury. Can't wait for him to be back.Two guys in their early 20s who can be cornerstone pieces in the middle of the lineup. If the Yankes can re-sign Soto, who is only 25 years old, they potentially have the meat of the order solved for the next 8-10 years with Volpe/Domingues/Soto. Include Judge for the next 3-4 he should still be good for.

• JIMMY! 1

4 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting about him. lol Effross, too.

Volpe really flattened out his swing late last year and it's really paying dividends now.

Oh shit...Effross...Damn!  LOL  I forgot about him too!!!  I guess we do have some help on the way!

Just now, BrooksBurner said:

It's nice to see some success early, but there's even more reason for optimism in upcoming years. Volpe is a stud. Domingues looked like a stud last year before his injury. Can't wait for him to be back.Two guys in their early 20s who can be cornerstone pieces in the middle of the lineup. If the Yankes can re-sign Soto, who is only 25 years old, they potentially have the meat of the order solved for the next 8-10 years with Volpe/Domingues/Soto. Include Judge for the next 3-4 he should still be good for.

Re-signing Soto is priority. If they don't, it's a colossal fuck up and I won't be nearly as excited about the team's future. It is paramount they get it done. He's a generational type talent that can be a core piece for the next decade with Dominguez and others.

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

Re-signing Soto is priority. If they don't, it's a colossal fuck up and I won't be nearly as excited about the team's future. It is paramount they get it done. He's a generational type talent that can be a core piece for the next decade with Dominguez and others.

Soto ain't goin' nowhere!  If they let him walk, the fans will string up Cashman by the balls!!

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Soto ain't goin' nowhere!  If they let him walk, the fans will string up Cashman by the balls!!

And Hal. He’s been the penny pincher, big George would roll over in his grave at some of the cheap miscues and decisions that have been made over the years!

• Keeps it 100 1

14 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

And Hal. He’s been the penny pincher, big George would roll over in his grave at some of the cheap miscues and decisions that have been made over the years!

I really love the way he's become a fan favorite already.  He's a natural fit in NY.  That doesn't happen very much...at least not this quick!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

Yeah, the bullpen is a flaw, but their starting pitching has been pretty good to start - Nestor was nasty last night. Plus, if they can keep hitting, they can hit their way out of most problems.

The bullpen has actually been very good, as has the rotation. Relievers 2.59 ERA, 6th in league. Starters 2.78 ERA, 5th in league. I'm concerned about the rotation depth and quality as the season wears on though (as long as Cole is out, and I kind of think his injury is more serious than they let on and they are hoping for a bit of a miracle in avoiding the inevitable).