• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

New York Yankees Thread

Blue Heaven

• 2 weeks later...

This whole thing with Cashman reminds me a bit of the Sather situation here. Basically a job for life for such an incompetent person. Even if they fire Boone, they're only going to bring in another puppet anyway, but I'm just sick of seeing him anyway. lol Hal is also a stooge and I have no faith in him to find a suitable GM replacement even if he actually fired Cashman. At this point, I'm hoping for a last place finish as well as a losing season. At the very least, I think Boone is gone if that happens, maybe. Top to bottom, they're just in a really sad state. I haven't been this down about the team since the early 90's.

• Keeps it 100 1

On 8/14/2023 at 10:34 AM, Sharpshooter said:

This whole thing with Cashman reminds me a bit of the Sather situation here. Basically a job for life for such an incompetent person. Even if they fire Boone, they're only going to bring in another puppet anyway, but I'm just sick of seeing him anyway. lol Hal is also a stooge and I have no faith in him to find a suitable GM replacement even if he actually fired Cashman. At this point, I'm hoping for a last place finish as well as a losing season. At the very least, I think Boone is gone if that happens, maybe. Top to bottom, they're just in a really sad state. I haven't been this down about the team since the early 90's.

I'm with you in that firing Boone is pointless. I have zero ties to Boone, but anyone who looks at this Yankees team and thinks the coach is the root of the problem needs to get their head examined

2 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

I'm with you in that firing Boone is pointless. I have zero ties to Boone, but anyone who looks at this Yankees team and thinks the coach is the root of the problem needs to get their head examined

Yeah, he's gotten his Yankees teams to a couple of ALCS appearances and nearly a World Series. I think the players generally like and respect him. Cashman is problem numero uno. The last three years especially he's totally wrecked this franchise, inside and out. They are a laughing stock and a complete joke. I don't think it's really an attractive destination anymore for players. Depending on health,  it's possible they will be worse next season. As I said to myself before the season, Judge should have signed with San Francisco.

I don't fault Boone.  I like Boone...he's fiery, and he's got a passion to win.

The players eat drippy, wet, soggy moose balls!  Too much dead wood, starting with Stanton, and Donaldson....fucking unload them already!!

I'm neutral towards Boone, but it's the same song and dance as always - the coach/manager is the lowest hanging fruit and the easiest thing to change. So I am certainly under no delusions that firing Boone is going to make a giant difference, but on the other hand, something has to give after this season. I'd do fucking backflips if there was some actual front office turnover, but at this point I'll take a Boone firing as a victory. 

4 hours ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

I'm neutral towards Boone, but it's the same song and dance as always - the coach/manager is the lowest hanging fruit and the easiest thing to change. So I am certainly under no delusions that firing Boone is going to make a giant difference, but on the other hand, something has to give after this season. I'd do fucking backflips if there was some actual front office turnover, but at this point I'll take a Boone firing as a victory. 

There is no sport where a coach matters less than baseball. 

Their contract situation is not as bad as I thought it was.

You could probably turn it around pretty quick. The candidates to get the boot are pretty obvious.

On the down side, the division has two other teams that will spend as much as the Yankees, in TO and Boston, another team who is absolutely stacked with young talent, and the best farm in baseball in Baltimore, and another team, Tampa Bay, who has the secret sauce, as long as their pitching arms don't fall off, and their SS can stop banging 8th graders.

It's tough being in the wilderness in this division, I would know, but it doesn't look as bad as I hoped.

They are absolutely going to waste Cole and Judge, however, over the next 3 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations to Volpe on becoming the first Yankees rookie ever with a 20/20 season! One bright spot from this year. I love how they are calling up all of these other guys only because the fans are demanding it and only because they have to. lol

I will miss Harrison Bader very much, also. Good luck to him.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Time for some optimism boys. Get Soto signed to an extension and we are finally cooking with some gas

He turned down 15 years and $440M which is why he was dealt.  Obviously NYC has some appeal to a player from the DR but the taxes are worse also.

The Yankees have deep pockets but he might turn them against themselves by trying for a historic contract.  What do the Yankees do if he asks for 15 years and $750M?

11 minutes ago, Br4d said:

He turned down 15 years and $440M which is why he was dealt.  Obviously NYC has some appeal to a player from the DR but the taxes are worse also.

The Yankees have deep pockets but he might turn them against themselves by trying for a historic contract.  What do the Yankees do if he asks for 15 years and $750M?

15 years for $440M is only $29 million a year. It was a low ball offer with a lot of years to drive up the total price number to make it look better than it was. Combine that with maybe he just didn't want to be in Washington for his entire career.

15 years and 750 is unrealistic. I think the Yankees will use Judge as the barometer from their side of things (40 a year). Boras/Soto would use Ohtani from their side of things (TBD). It will be somewhere in the middle. My early guess would be 12 years at a 45 AAV (540 total) keeps him off the market.

15 years for $440M is only $29 million a year. It was a low ball offer with a lot of years to drive up the total price number to make it look better than it was. Combine that with maybe he just didn't want to be in Washington for his entire career.

15 years and 750 is unrealistic. I think the Yankees will use Judge as the barometer from their side of things (40 a year). Boras/Soto would use Ohtani from their side of things (TBD). It will be somewhere in the middle. My early guess would be 12 years at a 45 AAV (540 total) keeps him off the market.

40 a year is the last meta.  My guess is that Ohtani and Soto will set the next meta and it is going to be an insane meta.

Think the Alex Rodriguez contract compared to the standard at the time ARod signed his big deal with the Yankees.

3 hours ago, Br4d said:

40 a year is the last meta.  My guess is that Ohtani and Soto will set the next meta and it is going to be an insane meta.

Think the Alex Rodriguez contract compared to the standard at the time ARod signed his big deal with the Yankees.

Fully agree on Ohtani. Soto isn’t Ohtani and if he turns down big money from the Yankees because he thinks he deserves whatever Ohtani is about to get, he’ll be sitting on the market for a while.

3 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Fully agree on Ohtani. Soto isn’t Ohtani and if he turns down big money from the Yankees because he thinks he deserves whatever Ohtani is about to get, he’ll be sitting on the market for a while.

It's the curse of being the Yankees.  No cap, huge revenues and a small handful of teams that will spend alongside you.

Soto doesn't look like he's worth the #1 deal in history but he's also one of 5 guys to have 140+ OPS in 5 seasons thru age 24.  The other guys?

Mike Trout, Mickey Mantle, Jimmie Foxx and Ty Cobb.

Think about it.

Edited by Br4d