• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021 Offseason Thread: Fuck Around & Find Out!

Phil

How would we feel about Ryan Getzlaf coming in as a 4th line center? Checks a lot of boxes that we need. Brings size, leadership, veteran with experience, can kill penalties. At this stage of his career, he’s obviously not the star he used to be, but the way he is now can be of use to a team on the rise like the Rangers. His numbers were super low this season, but as a 4th line center with size, he can be of use and not look like a waste. Price shouldn’t be that bad.

He's probably a third-line center still, but yes. The key is term. He's 36 and spent his entire career out West, so unless he is planning to travel a shit ton to see family and friends, he's going to want stability, which means multiple years with trade protection. I think there's a reason he was only willing to accept a trade to Vegas this past deadline, for example.

Yeah I heard the same thing too. But if you limit yourself to a certain region of teams, and those teams have no use for you, it’s time to branch out or hang ‘em up. For short term, I’d hope he may be willing to relocate East for a chance to help. I think he’d be a real nice fit.

He had 5 goals and 12 assists this past season. To me, those numbers are more along 4th line numbers. But, I’d have no problems having him here in either role. I think he’d benefit from more talent around him here than in Anaheim.

A full no-move is out of the question. A partial NTC I’d be okay with.

I’m hoping he limited his options down to VGK at the deadline because he didn’t want to be moved as a rental out East, for example, just to go elsewhere as a UFA.

We shall see. But if he is open to it, Getzlaf is someone Drury should have some interest in on a short term deal.

I do, too, I just think you're probably going to have to offer him two or three years with at least a partial NTC (if not full no-move).

That's not a lot, Phil. A couple of years with a solid, proven, tough, skilled veteran Center??? Where's the line form for this? LOL

I think we should learn from the Leafs' mistakes when they gave Marleau a NMC. It cost them a 1st to find someone to take him just for the purposes of buying him out.

Sure, but the Leafs also horrendously overpaid Marleau. The lesson there isn't "don't give him an NMC", it's "don't overpay someone AND give them an NMC".

Optimistically, what's Getzlaf really getting? 3m? 4 if he's lucky?

For two years, to secure him - I barely bat an eye at an NMC.

Sure, but the Leafs also horrendously overpaid Marleau. The lesson there isn't "don't give him an NMC", it's "don't overpay someone AND give them an NMC".

Optimistically, what's Getzlaf really getting? 3m? 4 if he's lucky?

For two years, to secure him - I barely bat an eye at an NMC.

Good thing the Rangers arent known for doing this.

I dunno fellas, maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way, but I just seem to keep coming back to the idea that we really don't need huge changes here;

I see us looking at a stretch of games where namely the Caps and Islanders shut us down. Ok, our star player got rag-dolled by a guy who's a known tough guy. But like Pete said, that shit really doesn't happen and it's rather uncommon. Now, I come from an era where every team had that enforcer to kinda "police" that kinda shit, but I'm not even sure a Reaves would've been on the ice to get into that. Would he prevent that crap by just being on the bench? I can't answer that for sure either.

Anyway, I'm thinking along the lines that we're 3 players away from making this thing click:

1. A sizable, gritty winger that can play up and down the lineup (Greenway "type")

2. A "tough to play against" (not exactly a fighter) 3C that can play 2 ways and win faceoffs (Getzlaf "type")

3. ...and I want a Reaves/Matt Martin type that can play and mix it up. That's just me though. I always kinda liked having an "insurance" guy like that around. (Joey Kocur is a decent example) I know that's kinda old school, but that's just my preference.

We also need a good guy behind the bench. I believe that's absolutely clutch. An experienced coach with a highly functional system, where everybody buys in. When these fucking guys jump over the boards, they gotta know exactly what their role is and how to perform it. Not this "sling it around 50 times along the fucking boards, and there's no shot or driving to the net in sight" perimeter piss.

I think that's really all we need for next season. The rest of the ingredients are here. All we need now is some salt & pepper and a dash of vinegar.

Fuck! Now I'm hungry! :rofl:

But the problem is that the top forwards ARE perimeter, no driving to the net guys. That's how they play and how they want to play. No coach is successfully going to change finesse players into hard nosed net crashers.

That style could work though, but the team will need massive upgrades to the bottom half of lineup. Gotta have a different look. Get the hard nosed players to fill out tge bottom six. That's the type of players that will be available anyway. So the Kadris, the Greenways, the Hymans, and so on are really all that's out there and they may come at a very fair price. It weird though. It's not like the Rangers NEED to shop in the bargain bin. I just think that's really all that's available as far as what the team needs.

There could also be a slight possibility that the players may be on the outs too. Quinn preached North/South and lots of shots. The players played as you described. Sometimes the coach AND the players pay the price when the coach loses the room. Maybe we see Zibanejad gone and Eichel in? Maybe there's a complete overhaul? They blew up management in a strange fashion. Maybe the roster is next?

Corey Perry would have been a nice fit this year. I suggested he could be a useful player to slot up and down the roster, especially if the Rangers couldn't get one of the kids to take Panarins opposite wing. Nobody took that gig again.. Perry could have been that leader with grit and playoff performance.. I think he signed for league minimum.

Where were you guys at the start of the season with these thoughts? LOL.

Corey Perry would have been a nice fit this year. I suggested he could be a useful player to slot up and down the roster, especially if the Rangers couldn't get one of the kids to take Panarins opposite wing. Nobody took that gig again.. Perry could have been that leader with grit and playoff performance.. I think he signed for league minimum.

Where were you guys at the start of the season with these thoughts? LOL.

I think people were hopeful Kakko would be the one to settle into that slot.

Getzlaf, Perry...these are washed up hasbeens pretty much. There is got to be better options out there

We’re not getting them for what they once were; we’re getting them for what they bring now.

In Getzlaf’s case, he brings size (we need), a veteran (needed) with leadership (also needed). He is an effective PK guy (needed) that can also win face offs (very needed). He would have been the only Ranger over 50% last season.

Add in that he still has a little bit of skill and quite a shot when he chooses to use it, and the fact it’d be a short term deal likely at little cost, and I see no harm. We need players like this to help the kids along. There’s been no real leadership in that locker room for a while now and they need it in the worst way. Getzlaf also checks a lot of boxes of needs we have.

Getzlaf, Perry...these are washed up hasbeens pretty much. There is got to be better options out there

Washed up has beens that fill holes that are not able to be filled within the organization. These guys are big game players who still prove they can make a difference and flip that switch come playoff time. While they are fractions of what they once were, they still provide attributes that cannot be taught. If younger BETTER players were available, we'd be talking about them. If you have better suggestions we would all love to hear them.

Washed up has beens that fill holes that are not able to be filled within the organization. These guys are big game players who still prove they can make a difference and flip that switch come playoff time. While they are fractions of what they once were, they still provide attributes that cannot be taught. If younger BETTER players were available, we'd be talking about them. If you have better suggestions we would all love to hear them.

The Ducks have played 4 playoff games in the last 4 seasons, none in the last 3. That switch is rusty and may not even be functional at this point. There's no way to tell who's available without being the GM and knowing what you're willing to give up and what you're looking for. They may not be looking for a guy who's shelf life is already on borrowed time. They may or may not be willing to give up more than some guys on here are and if that's true it opens up a whole bunch of additional options.

You ask the question (about loving to hear better suggestions) as if Getzlaf is a definite option, the guy may have zero interest in coming to the east coast and even if he does at terms that Drury would want.

Getzlaf has a Stanley Cup and numerous seasons of playoff experience. For a group as raw as the Rangers, that kind of veteran leadership is invaluable when you consider that no one in that locker room, besides Kreider and Trouba, has any type of significant playoff experience.

Like it or not, the Rangers definitely do need some veterans in that locker room. We are completely barren when it comes to having guys these kids could turn to for leadership. At some point, it can’t just be a room filled with kids with no direction; veterans are needed to help fill roles on the ice and in the locker room. If Getzlaf isn’t your cup of tea, that’s fine. But to discredit the guy because of his lack of experience lately when the guy has been in this league for years and has a Cup and many other years of experience come playoff time is a little shortsighted IMO.

I don't think you can win with what we have. My point is more that their going to have to make more changes than just on the fringes and or plugging in a 37 year old for a year or two who in this case has little left other than his resume which I agree has some value but we disagree on how much. To me that means being open to trading almost anybody sans very few with the understanding the guys with NTC aren't likely to be moved. I'm not saying to blow it up by any means. But I'm not one who says we need to keep Laf, Kakko, Krav no matter what. Outside of Panarin, Fox, and Igor you would listen on almost if not everyone else. I'm also not saying make 4-7 deals flipping it inside out. More about you will probably have to give up some pieces that hurt to get some key missing pieces. I think it's going to take way more than fishing in the UFA pool for ex-cup winners, captains etc. it's going to cost you valuable pieces imo.

Time will tell.

I’d definitely add Lafreniere to the no-no list. I know he started slow, but he finished very strong and will be a legitimate stud for this team.

I’m not saying to go out and add every veteran and nothing but veterans with experience and captains. But I think it’s safe to say that we definitely do need a little bit of help as far as guiding these kids goes. We haven’t had a captain in 3 years and that speaks volumes about a leadership-less locker room. These kids need direction.