• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021 Offseason Thread: Fuck Around & Find Out!

Phil

Washed up has beens that fill holes that are not able to be filled within the organization. These guys are big game players who still prove they can make a difference and flip that switch come playoff time. While they are fractions of what they once were, they still provide attributes that cannot be taught. If younger BETTER players were available, we'd be talking about them. If you have better suggestions we would all love to hear them.

Not are...but were. That cup was 14 years ago. Getzlaf was 22!! Like I said, if you going to deprive a youngster of ice time and development, it better be with someone who has any kind of future and can give more than washed up Getzlaf

• Like 1

Ryan Getzlaf to the Rangers is the equivalent of Joe Thornton to Toronto. Filling a hole for intangibles and experience in a limited role. IMO, why would he come here in the twilight of his career? I dont hate the idea, I just don't see it happening.

I'd imagine Getzlaf wants to go somewhere that's ready to win next year.

While playoffs are a nice goal, there's a difference between a playoff team and a Cup contender.

This makes the most sense, actually. I didn't even look at it that way, Pete. Probably more like the Chara situation last year with Boston.

But it's not so much Getzlaf himself, it's more the type of player he represents....I know you already know that though! You know where I'm going here... LOL ;)

I'd imagine Getzlaf wants to go somewhere that's ready to win next year.

While playoffs are a nice goal, there's a difference between a playoff team and a Cup contender.

Yup. If he's coming East, it's probably to join the Islanders or Bruins (assuming they lose Krejci).

Do you guys think players around the league dont see the Rangers as a team that could potentially contend in the next year or 2?

Getting rid of Quinn and Dolan indicating he wants to win sooner than later is definitely going to get older guys more interested.

Do you guys think players around the league dont see the Rangers as a team that could potentially contend in the next year or 2?

Getting rid of Quinn and Dolan indicating he wants to win sooner than later is definitely going to get older guys more interested.

next year or two--no. maybe in the 3rd year. Next year everyone will be happy if they make the playoffs. The following year hopefully everyone will be looking for them to win a round or two. After that there's a chance to compete seriously.

and i'll be 50, which is very depressing

next year or two--no. maybe in the 3rd year. Next year everyone will be happy if they make the playoffs. The following year hopefully everyone will be looking for them to win a round or two. After that there's a chance to compete seriously.

I'll take 50, Simon!!! I'm so old now I remember when the Dead Sea was only sick!! :rofl:

I got what I expected out of the Rangers this year and in this division. And I felt everything that happened was a fantastic learning experience.

I fully expect this team to be very competitive next season. This year they only got to feast on Buffalo and NJ, but there are plenty of other teams ripe for the picking. And I do believe they learned how to play and what to expect against these bigger teams. And hopefully next year, with some outside help, we’ll be able to better combat that.

I expect the team to contend next year, because I think necessary moves will be made. It's time to stop selling short the talent on the team. I can picture a vet or two feeling the same way.

They have stars in their prime with Panarin and Zibanejad

They have your core players with Trouba and Kreider

You have a star defenseman with Fox

You have solid, young goaltending with Shesterkin. (Hes 1 year younger than Vasi, for comparison)

They have your high achievers with Strome and Buchnevich

You have your future stars with Lafreniere and Kakko

You have youngbloods in Miller and Kravtsov

You have an owner that just committed to winning now, and, pretty much signaled they will add [what we've pretty much come to a consensus on] what the team needs.

Line up of people I named:

Kreider Zibanejad Buchnevich

Panarin Strome Kakko

Lafreniere ________ Kravtsov

_______ - _______ - _______

____ Fox

Miller - Trouba

______ - _______

Shesterkin

Lundqvist

Imagine being Getzlaf, and you have to come play with shit players like Lafreniere and Kravtsov going against a 3rd pair D. And your biggest expectation is being a leader.

They have stars in their prime with Panarin and Zibanejad

They have your core players with Trouba and Kreider

You have a star defenseman with Fox

You have solid, young goaltending with Shesterkin. (Hes 1 year younger than Vasi, for comparison)

They have your high achievers with Strome and Buchnevich

You have your future stars with Lafreniere and Kakko

You have youngbloods in Miller and Kravtsov

You have an owner that just committed to winning now, and, pretty much signaled they will add [what we've pretty much come to a consensus on] what the team needs.

Line up of people I named:

Kreider Zibanejad Buchnevich

Panarin Strome Kakko

Lafreniere ________ Kravtsov

_______ - _______ - _______

____ Fox

Miller - Trouba

______ - _______

Shesterkin

Lundqvist

Imagine being Getzlaf, and you have to come play with shit players like Lafreniere and Kravtsov going against a 3rd pair D. And your biggest expectation is being a leader.

exactly!! everything and everyone you mentioned and we didnt make the playoffs. you think Getzlaf will get you over the hump? or make you a cup contender next season? you think Getzlaf looks at the rangers and says they have a shot at the cup? i dont get what you're saying

FWIW, I’m officially off of the 1st line Kreider train.

Next season, I hope to see him on the 3rd line. He can still be used on the 1st PP, that’s where he gets his cookies. But I think it’d be better off having him drop to a third line role; his inconsistencies are too much for a consistent first line winger.

• Like 1

Next season, I hope to see him on the 3rd line. He can still be used on the 1st PP, that’s where he gets his cookies. But I think it’d be better off having him drop to a third line role; his inconsistencies are too much for a consistent first line winger.

agreed. His disappearing act would be much more bearable if he's on the 3rd line instead of 1st. but i guess we'll see what the new coach does

So are the Rangers, in all likelihood.

Lafreniere / Zibanejad / Buchnevich

Panarin / Strome / Kakko

Kreider / X / Kravtsov

X / X / X

exactly!! everything and everyone you mentioned and we didnt make the playoffs. you think Getzlaf will get you over the hump? or make you a cup contender next season? you think Getzlaf looks at the rangers and says they have a shot at the cup? i dont get what you're saying

No, I think it's more of an addition by subtraction.

The team isnt far off. A few minor (but major) adds will make a big difference - especially when you are talking about young kids, their development and their impact.

I'm not sure there is a roster in the league that has this much talent. They lack the complementary role players. Thankfully, they are entering a time when grizzly vets are willing to take cheap deals on good teams to fill those roles. Now, they are very close to be an attractive destination for those players (no offense to Blackwell, Rooney and bittetoes)

No doubt, I was just trying to do some lines based on who compliments one another. I want depth. I'd much rather spread out the muscle than end up with some size throughout over Panarin-Stome-Blackwell + Kreider-Barron-Kassian

I said last summer, goal should be to have KZB the third line by the end of next season - with the progress of the kids.

So are the Rangers, in all likelihood.

Lafreniere / Zibanejad / Buchnevich

Panarin / Strome / Kakko

Kreider / X / Kravtsov

X / X / X

See, the problem being Lafreniere, Zibanejad and Buch all do better with the puck on their stick. Kreider and Kravtsov are both great off-the-puck players, and Panarin-Strome need a digger/retriever/net front guy that plays well off the puck getting open - and that's not really Kakko's style.

See, the problem being Lafreniere, Zibanejad and Buch all do better with the puck on their stick. Kreider and Kravtsov are both great off-the-puck players, and Panarin-Strome need a digger/retriever/net front guy that plays well off the puck getting open - and that's not really Kakko's style.

I don't think Buch is gonna be here so that will change the shape of things. As far as puck retrieval, that's exactly what Kakko's game is.

The next coach is not going to allow the same east west shit DQ did so I think it remains to be seen what they need as a complementary winger.

The Ducks have played 4 playoff games in the last 4 seasons, none in the last 3. That switch is rusty and may not even be functional at this point. There's no way to tell who's available without being the GM and knowing what you're willing to give up and what you're looking for. They may not be looking for a guy who's shelf life is already on borrowed time. They may or may not be willing to give up more than some guys on here are and if that's true it opens up a whole bunch of additional options.

You ask the question (about loving to hear better suggestions) as if Getzlaf is a definite option, the guy may have zero interest in coming to the east coast and even if he does at terms that Drury would want.

Guess you haven't been watching Perry this year and last. Guy has been kicking ass in the playoffs.

I think you missed the point in the reasons why people are suggesting these players. Leadership and experience along with their grit. They've been there. That is a really big attribute.

I didn't ask for better options to be a dick. I'm asking because we here haven't really gotten past a few names. It was an honest request. A little brainstorming can't hurt the discussion.