• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021 Offseason Thread: Fuck Around & Find Out!

Phil

Same. I see why everyone compares him to Fox in terms of style but he's so fucking small.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

He doesn't have any of the electricity that Fox has with the puck. I think if the Rangers are seriously trying to open their cup window next year, Jones can't be on the opening night roster. I'm willing to look at Lundkvist because he's so highly touted, but Jones to me should either be traded or start in Hartford.

Lundkvist and Jones are the same kind of player to me. If either are making it, it's likely only one of them.

Agreed. I see Lundqvist having a better camp but that’s just my opinion. Jones looked like he needed some ahl time

I don't think there's any chance both of Lundqvist and Jones are even Ranger property in September.
Yup. Always thought it's either/or. I want 4 defensive bigs and two offensive smalls rather than 3 and 3. Both Schneider and Robertson bring some offense, so there's no need to sacrifice the beef. Maybe, once those guys are up keep Jones or Lundqvist as a 7th, but either one has too much trade value to waste it there. One is def gone.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I guess you're right. I assumed because he said he's not coming back to Columbus that he was done. You know what they say about assuming... being an ass and all that.

It's weird even in the SI article the wording is confusing. I think Jones maybe putting it out there now that he has no interest in reupping with CBJ so maybe he forces their hand into moving him even earlier than they might normally under the circumstances (TDL for example). Sounds like he's hoping to have played his last game for the BJs.

That track record doesn't seem likely to improve any time soon, either. Elliotte Friedman reported on the Saturday Edition of Sportsnet's Headlines that star defenceman Seth Jones has reportedly informed the Blue Jackets that he will test the free-agent market this summer and will not be re-signing with the club for now.

Jones, 26, has one year remaining on his current contract at $5.4 million.

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/blue-jackets-jones-intends-to-test-free-agency?fbclid=IwAR1VHzsVLj_SsVFymtpk7o7PUQTk0LZGKFq1JAS5RX3WALRAbm3tVVcyumU

Why do people talk about trading players with NMCs as if they don't have them or would happily waive them to go to... Columbus?

I don't know why anyone talks about trading Trouba, ever. It was an ordeal to get him here. He only wants to be here. He's got a huge contract. And he has a NMC. Yet I see it all the time.

I don't know why anyone talks about trading Trouba, ever. It was an ordeal to get him here. He only wants to be here. He's got a huge contract. And he has a NMC. Yet I see it all the time.

Because he's overpaid by about $2 million per year. We'll be hearing it every day, every week, every month, every year, until he's gone.

Because he's overpaid by about $2 million per year. We'll be hearing it every day, every week, every month, every year, until he's gone.
That's kinda reductive and you know it. He's overpaid by $2 and will quickly become a third pairing D, if not blocking someone who'll give you more at a cheaper price.

It's a recipe for disaster exacerbated by a ~5 year flat cap.

It's not JUST the overpayment.

That's kinda reductive and you know it. He's overpaid by $2 and will quickly become a third pairing D, if not blocking someone who'll give you more at a cheaper price.

It's a recipe for disaster exacerbated by a ~5 year flat cap.

It's not JUST the overpayment.

If I'm reductive, what is this if not hyperbolic?

It's the same thing with Kreider. Who are either of them blocking right now, today? What makes you think it'll hold true a year from now or two years from now? Who has the org been afraid to buyout or trade (even at a loss) to make room for someone who clearly deserves it and/or to remove a player too disproportionately paid relative to their impact on the game? They've moved on from Girardi, Richards, Staal, Lundqvist, Shattenkirk, etc. in the last decade. They've twice traded their own captain. I'm pretty sure if push comes to shove, they'll have no problem doing the same to Trouba or Kreider.

It's not just the overpayment, but it's mostly the overpayment, until it isn't, and we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. Right now, today, he's fine. He's just more expensive than he should be.

If I'm reductive, what is this if not hyperbolic?

It's the same thing with Kreider. Who are either of them blocking right now, today? What makes you think it'll hold true a year from now or two years from now? Who has the org been afraid to buyout or trade (even at a loss) to make room for someone who clearly deserves it and/or to remove a player too disproportionately paid relative to their impact on the game? They've moved on from Girardi, Richards, Staal, Lundqvist, Shattenkirk, etc. in the last decade. They've twice traded their own captain. I'm pretty sure if push comes to shove, they'll have no problem doing the same to Trouba or Kreider.

It's not just the overpayment, but it's mostly the overpayment, until it isn't, and we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. Right now, today, he's fine. He's just more expensive than he should be.

You gonna buy guys out in a flat cap? Doesn't seem smart.

That's what I mean about the combination of all of it. Is some of it unfair to Trouba the player? Sure, not his fault COVID hit. But here we are.

I mean, if they have to? Yes. I don't think they'll need to though. I think they'll retain and trade him to a contender who will love to add him for playoff runs. Same with Kreider. I just don't think they'll need to retain on him.

The way I see it, they both live out half their deals here. And all the rookies barring insane Y2-3 seasons are getting bridge deals.

I mean, if they have to? Yes. I don't think they'll need to though. I think they'll retain and trade him to a contender who will love to add him for playoff runs. Same with Kreider. I just don't think they'll need to retain on him.

The way I see it, they both live out half their deals here. And all the rookies barring insane Y2-3 seasons are getting bridge deals.

It was just a case of one thing after another, when you think about it. First he got signed for too much, and we kinda shrug it off. Then Fox comes along in year 1, and you raise your eyebrows. Then Fox may win a Norris, and you have Schneider who plays that same style, Jones, Lundqvist in the pipeline...And now a flat cap. What started as a slight overpayment that was OK with a rising cap...Quickly became a bad contract for a very good 2nd pair D, who may be on our third pair in 2 years, who is paid like a very good 1st pair D.

It's a recipe for complaining. And to be honest on a board that complains about DQ daily and still is hung up on ADA...Are you surprised?

I mean, all just for slamming the penalty box door...

*runs back to the beer cooler*

They still need Trouba now, bad contract and all. He hasn’t been replicated, nor has their been a player that makes Trouba unnecessary or irrelevant. Until then...

• Like 1

You have 1 post saying to include Trouba in a trade for a star defenseman in return. You then have 8 posts complaining about the complaining here. Trouba's reality here isn't changing. He's a good player they overpaid for. That reality will effect all player moves going forward just like any contract effects the cap. It seems silly that you wouldn't expect Ranger fans on a Ranger forum not to talk about the reality of Trouba and Kreider's effect on the teams salary cap situation. Just as silly not to expect compelling about every coach they ever have. This is a Ranger forum I thought. Complaining, bragging, hypothesizing, etc. about the Rangers is exactly what should happen here, no? Why complain about that?

OK, so Trouba and Kreider are over paid and you would like them gone. That doesn't nullify their NMCs. All of these guys with NMCs in the past have been bought out, not traded. Staal had a limited no trade at the tail end of his contract and did not have Detroit on his no-trade list. When guys with NMCs consent to trades, they are usually near the end of their contract and are moved from a bad team to a contender, usually near the deadline. That just isn't the situation with Trouba and Kreider and won't be for a long time. They are not bad enough to be bought out and they are not going to be traded. So chill. They are going to be around for years. Get used to it.