• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021 Offseason Thread: Fuck Around & Find Out!

Phil

Give Trouba the C and Kreids the A. It is the only way this team starts to make progress. Give them a definitive guy to follow. This lead by committee shit doesn't work.....anywhere in anything. They must also buy a vet who can don an A; a guy who has been there before.

OK, so Trouba and Kreider are over paid and you would like them gone. That doesn't nullify their NMCs. All of these guys with NMCs in the past have been bought out, not traded. Staal had a limited no trade at the tail end of his contract and did not have Detroit on his no-trade list. When guys with NMCs consent to trades, they are usually near the end of their contract and are moved from a bad team to a contender, usually near the deadline. That just isn't the situation with Trouba and Kreider and won't be for a long time. They are not bad enough to be bought out and they are not going to be traded. So chill. They are going to be around for years. Get used to it.

I didn't say I want them gone. I just said that this is the exact place for people to come and complain about all things Rangers. No need to chill for me. I actually think both are important pieces to this team, Trouba especially.

You have 1 post saying to include Trouba in a trade for a star defenseman in return. You then have 8 posts complaining about the complaining here. Trouba's reality here isn't changing. He's a good player they overpaid for. That reality will effect all player moves going forward just like any contract effects the cap. It seems silly that you wouldn't expect Ranger fans on a Ranger forum not to talk about the reality of Trouba and Kreider's effect on the teams salary cap situation. Just as silly not to expect compelling about every coach they ever have. This is a Ranger forum I thought. Complaining, bragging, hypothesizing, etc. about the Rangers is exactly what should happen here, no? Why complain about that?

What's funny about the people complaining about complaining, come here year after year to complain about Kreider lol

And I agree with the sentiment here. There's no reason to have a message board if you can't critique the team, moves made, etc.

It was just a case of one thing after another, when you think about it. First he got signed for too much, and we kinda shrug it off. Then Fox comes along in year 1, and you raise your eyebrows. Then Fox may win a Norris, and you have Schneider who plays that same style, Jones, Lundqvist in the pipeline...And now a flat cap. What started as a slight overpayment that was OK with a rising cap...Quickly became a bad contract for a very good 2nd pair D, who may be on our third pair in 2 years, who is paid like a very good 1st pair D.

It's a recipe for complaining. And to be honest on a board that complains about DQ daily and still is hung up on ADA...Are you surprised?

No, of course not, but I also see a lot of what we're worried about here as not an actual issue until it's an actual issue. We've no idea if Lundkvist will even be a Ranger, have no idea how close Schneider actually is, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I mean, all just for slamming the penalty box door...

*runs back to the beer cooler*

They still need Trouba now, bad contract and all. He hasn’t been replicated, nor has their been a player that makes Trouba unnecessary or irrelevant. Until then...

Right. Schneider, maybe, but until then, no. And even then, there's three years of ELC to figure it out.

Incredible how Tampa has a team with Vasilevsky (Top 3 goalie in the league), Hedman (Top 3 D), Kucherov (Top 3 winger) and Stamkos/Point and not have anyone on that list.

Yepp Steve Y did an amazing job with contracts. Something I wish the Rangers could do. Of course no state income tax in Florida helps.

Really a shame that NYC is a premier market and they still have to over pay.

Yepp Steve Y did an amazing job with contracts. Something I wish the Rangers could do. Of course no state income tax in Florida helps.

Really a shame that NYC is a premier market and they still have to over pay.

That always mystified me as well, although NYC is an expensive place to live, especially with their lifestyle. But, yeah, sometimes it seems like they are begging people to come here still by overpaying.

or do they trade for Seth Jones to solidify their D corps.

Also IMO losing Tavares really hurt them vs. MTL.

Tavares is a loser. I just can't accept that excuse. Their top three players did nothing, and therefore they lost.

I do wonder how the Rangers avoid becoming the Leafs though.... going out and just randomly signing vets clearly isn't a successful strategy. They've gotta be the right guys. Hopefully Drury can put the puzzle together.

...just looking for the right mix. Not too much vodka, not too much cranberry, and just the right amount of club soda. Just has to be the right amount for it to taste perfectly.

Wait, are we talking about the same thing here?? ;)

Nah really....I think we're a lot closer to where we wanna go than a lot of us think. I also think the coaching staff coming in will help out greatly in taking us where we need to be. For some reason or another, I feel like I have a lot of faith in Drury. Any guy that was THAT sought after by quite a number of teams, has to have a little magic in him.

I'll roll with that

Tavares is a loser. I just can't accept that excuse. Their top three players did nothing, and therefore they lost.

I do wonder how the Rangers avoid becoming the Leafs though.... going out and just randomly signing vets clearly isn't a successful strategy. They've gotta be the right guys.Hopefully Drury can put the puzzle together.

Certainly didn't prevent one of the biggest collapses and in this case and they had a couple of those guys brought in for their experience. It's crazy to me to see the Isles being so driven by three guys on their 4th line who the average hockey fan outside of this area probably couldn't name on a good day while their captain hasn't played in how long?

So because it didn’t work with the Leafs the strategy makes no sense?

Keep in mind the GWG was scored by Corey Perry, who MTL bought in for the exact reasons why some here want the Rangers to bring in some vets.

Using Toronto as an example is a little...off. It’s clear that that whole team is missing a whole lot when it comes to being competitive in the playoffs.

Keep in mind the GWG was scored by Corey Perry, who MTL bought in for the exact reasons why some here want the Rangers to bring in some vets.

Using Toronto as an example is a little...off. It’s clear that that whole team is missing a whole lot when it comes to being competitive in the playoffs.

Sounds familiar.

Sounds familiar.

Certainly does. This team needs way more than rolling in Thornton/Getlzaf types. I believe we fall into the missing a whole lot (at this time) and it would be a mistake to assume otherwise imo. I'm not against veteran guys but I don't believe they can be tokens and there's no guarantee their leadership is going to make even some of the leagues best players perform when the intensity ratchets up nor stop them from disappearing altogether. I believe we need a bigger facelift.

Certainly does. This team needs way more than rolling in Thornton/Getlzaf types. I believe we fall into the missing a whole lot (at this time) and it would be a mistake to assume otherwise imo. I'm not against veteran guys but I don't believe they can be tokens and there's no guarantee their leadership is going to make even some of the leagues best players perform when the intensity ratchets up nor stop them from disappearing altogether. I believe we need a bigger facelift.

Agreed.

Don't forget. "Joe Thornton is probably one of the best players in the league to never win anything." - jt

They brought him in and he did what he always does. Perry, on the other hand, knows how to win. He was arguably their most effective player on offense. Picking the right vets is important.

Incredible how Tampa has a team with Vasilevsky (Top 3 goalie in the league), Hedman (Top 3 D), Kucherov (Top 3 winger) and Stamkos/Point and not have anyone on that list.

That's because they stopped the counting right before they got to the Tampa players.

That tweet is inaccurate though. Kucherov, Stone, and Vasilevsky are all tied for 16th @ $9.5 million a year. Also Tampa was only cap compliant because Kucherov was on LTIR all year, they're $5 million over the cap next year with only 19 players under contract.