• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021 Offseason Thread: Fuck Around & Find Out!

Phil

Being one of the best face-off guys in the league was the point of wanting him. The toughness needs to be addressed on the wing in that scenario.

The toughness needs to be added in the middle of the ice.

Trade Chytil Buch 1st and D prospect for Matt Tkchuck and Lucic (% retained)

Sign Getzlaf to play 3C

Sign Vet D that's not Jack Johnson.

"come get the Stanley Cup."

(note: I'd love to bring in some actual 4th liners but all that plus a whole new 4th line is a lot to ask for, so maybe the new coach can get something out of the guys who don't go to Seattle.)

That's not what I'm asking for -- I'm asking for aggressive forechecking, and bullish attempts at the net. Ozzy posted up a phenomenal shift (that ends in a fight) from Greenway. That's what I want.

Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to not have the puck to hit people either. Forsberg made a career of it. He'd routinely chip the puck into a defenders skates and then run him over and immediately recover it.

But what I really want more of is guys getting the fuck off the wall and not passing sixty seven times looking for a perfect shot that never comes. Get into the zone and make simpler plays. Shot on net, crash the net.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

That's totally what we want, but you have to wonder if these players want that. Hiw many pressers had Quinn saying he wants them to shoot more?

Quinn not reaching these players may have been half the problem. Didn't Strome say something about how thevteam isn't going to have a shoot first mentality?

Maybe an overhaul of Zibanejad and Strome IS needed and the plan? You can't make these guys into something they're not and it looks like they pushed the coach out the door by refusing to listen to his game plan. Do you think a stricter more well respected coach can change the mindset of a bunch of guys who only want to play a certain way? I'm not sure how long such a relationship would last. Seems like a waste of time. Might have to tear down the top 6 in order to achieve the desired style of play.

http://www.blueshirtsbrotherhood.com/showthread.php?24078-2021-Offseason-Thread-New-Year-Same-Problems&p=1071063&viewfull=1#post1071063

Looks like we'll go around in circles, because you keep shifting the goalposts of the argument.

My point still stands. Chytil has outproduced and proven more than Kakko and Kravtsov. He is more ready to move up the lineup than the other two, even if he isn't "ready". And, again, I wouldn't want to move any of them up in responsibility when the goal is playoffs next year, but even so, Chytil has proven the most of the three that he could possibly produce at a reasonable clip at 2C playing with a superstar more than Kakko and Kravtsov can handle 1 and 2 RW.

Between Buch and Strome, if you are keeping one longish term, Buchnevich over Strome is the better decision. I don't see the team winning a thing with both Zib and Strome down the middle in the top 6. It's soft. They suck at faceoffs. They shrink in physical games. Redundant. A different 3C doesn't really fix that. I mentioned it before, if you really want to keep Strome, I could see an argument to keep Strome @ 6.5-7 before Zibanejad @ 9-10 if those are the prices. I don't keep both though. Strome is younger. Good rapport with our best player. No concern with injury history.

Imo Chytil on that vacant RW opposite Panarin is a really good spot for him. Of course this takes a spot away from Kakko or Kravstov, but if we are talking about Chytil deserving to move up, that's the only scenario that makes sense. Can't say he's played good enough to supplant Strome, because he just hasn't. Him deserving more icetime over Kakko and Kravtsov, doesn't mean he automatically bumps Strome..

I'm a Chytil fan boy. I want to see every opportunity for him to succeed happen. I worry more about him becoming a solid player elsewhere more so than Kravstov.

Trade Chytil, Buch 1st and D prospect for Matt Tkchuck and Lucic (% retained)

Sign Getzlaf to play 3C

Sign Vet D that's not Jack Johnson.

"come get the Stanley Cup."

(note: I'd love to bring in some actual 4th liners but all that plus a whole new 4th line is a lot to ask for, so maybe the new coach can get something out of the guys who don't go to Seattle.)

I think 31 is on to the right idea here; I also think we're a lot closer than we think, as far as the toughness goes. We have some tough players, they simply just haven't played that way.

Kreider is a tough player. I KNOW he can play a lot tougher.

Trouba is a tough player and he can also play tougher

Laffy has it in him to play tougher and I believe he will as he matures

Can we add some toughness and benefit? I think so, and I don't think it should cost a lot.

I'd like to see Getzlaf here...question is, does he leave the west coast?

I've already beat the Greenway drum enough already, but I think he'd fit perfectly in to what I wanna see in the lineup

I'd also like to see a bruiser on the 4th line as well. Gimme Reaves, Matt Martin, or someone like that who can play and mix it up.

I'm thinking along the lines of Chytil, Buchnevich and that #1 for this year's draft could go a ways to obtain some of these pieces....I don't think we need to tear down too much to get where we need to go.....but then again, I got a lot of sun this weekend! :rofl:

Trouba at market would have been fine. We paid about a million, million and a half a year too much. Heck, even in a normal cap world...probably fine. Especially with the escalator from the new TV deal that would have pushed the cap into something like the 90m+ range.

Panarin got offered more money by Florida, Columbus, and the Islanders. I believe the Islanders offered him 7 years, 91m, the Jackets offered 8 years, 96m. So yeah, he turned down nearly 15 million to play for the Rangers.

Also, Sunrise blows, but there's some cool shit nearby. Tons of good breweries.

Yeah

I didn’t forget about the Islanders and Columbus, but I don’t recall seeing those numbers actually confirmed. Not saying they didn’t. Just don’t recall actually seeing them.

Trouba’s contract is less than 1 million over market.

There’s no way he goes to market and gets less than north of $7 million per.

No way.

There's like 5 guys on that list I'd consider to "play big".

It's coaching. they buy into the system.

trotz outcoached the shit out of the rangers, agreed. took away there time and space. quinn had no answers, probably cause he didnt have those type of arrows in the quiver.

I think 31 is on to the right idea here; I also think we're a lot closer than we think, as far as the toughness goes. We have some tough players, they simply just haven't played that way.

Kreider is a tough player. I KNOW he can play a lot tougher.

Trouba is a tough player and he can also play tougher

Laffy has it in him to play tougher and I believe he will as he matures

Can we add some toughness and benefit? I think so, and I don't think it should cost a lot.

I'd like to see Getzlaf here...question is, does he leave the west coast?

I've already beat the Greenway drum enough already, but I think he'd fit perfectly in to what I wanna see in the lineup

I'd also like to see a bruiser on the 4th line as well. Gimme Reaves, Matt Martin, or someone like that who can play and mix it up.

I'm thinking along the lines of Chytil, Buchnevich and that #1 for this year's draft could go a ways to obtain some of these pieces....I don't think we need to tear down too much to get where we need to go.....but then again, I got a lot of sun this weekend! :rofl:

not sure about getzlaf but your in the right direction ozzy

not sure about getzlaf but your in the right direction ozzy

Hey Slobby!!! Where you been, man!! Good to see you back on the board!! :thumbs:

Yeah, I don't think we have to make a lot of changes here. We just need a little injection of what I like to call "Vitamin Ozzy" LOL

I really hope Drury goes after Greenway hard. That guy is a skilled "bull in a china shop"....he could be our "Unicorn".

I'm not going to pretend McDavid is available yet, but I think there could be a chance that Draisaitl will be available. I'd go for him. Great contract. One of the top 5-7 players in the league. The question is what's the trade cost...don't care much. I'd trade anyone on the team. Legit #1 center.

I dunno fellas, maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way, but I just seem to keep coming back to the idea that we really don't need huge changes here;

I see us looking at a stretch of games where namely the Caps and Islanders shut us down. Ok, our star player got rag-dolled by a guy who's a known tough guy. But like Pete said, that shit really doesn't happen and it's rather uncommon. Now, I come from an era where every team had that enforcer to kinda "police" that kinda shit, but I'm not even sure a Reaves would've been on the ice to get into that. Would he prevent that crap by just being on the bench? I can't answer that for sure either.

Anyway, I'm thinking along the lines that we're 3 players away from making this thing click:

1. A sizable, gritty winger that can play up and down the lineup (Greenway "type")

2. A "tough to play against" (not exactly a fighter) 3C that can play 2 ways and win faceoffs (Getzlaf "type")

3. ...and I want a Reaves/Matt Martin type that can play and mix it up. That's just me though. I always kinda liked having an "insurance" guy like that around. (Joey Kocur is a decent example) I know that's kinda old school, but that's just my preference.

We also need a good guy behind the bench. I believe that's absolutely clutch. An experienced coach with a highly functional system, where everybody buys in. When these fucking guys jump over the boards, they gotta know exactly what their role is and how to perform it. Not this "sling it around 50 times along the fucking boards, and there's no shot or driving to the net in sight" perimeter piss.

I think that's really all we need for next season. The rest of the ingredients are here. All we need now is some salt & pepper and a dash of vinegar.

Fuck! Now I'm hungry! :rofl:

I dunno fellas, maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way, but I just seem to keep coming back to the idea that we really don't need huge changes here;

I see us looking at a stretch of games where namely the Caps and Islanders shut us down. Ok, our star player got rag-dolled by a guy who's a known tough guy. But like Pete said, that shit really doesn't happen and it's rather uncommon. Now, I come from an era where every team had that enforcer to kinda "police" that kinda shit, but I'm not even sure a Reaves would've been on the ice to get into that. Would he prevent that crap by just being on the bench? I can't answer that for sure either.

Anyway, I'm thinking along the lines that we're 3 players away from making this thing click:

1. A sizable, gritty winger that can play up and down the lineup (Greenway "type")

2. A "tough to play against" (not exactly a fighter) 3C that can play 2 ways and win faceoffs (Getzlaf "type")

3. ...and I want a Reaves/Matt Martin type that can play and mix it up. That's just me though. I always kinda liked having an "insurance" guy like that around. (Joey Kocur is a decent example) I know that's kinda old school, but that's just my preference.

We also need a good guy behind the bench. I believe that's absolutely clutch. An experienced coach with a highly functional system, where everybody buys in. When these fucking guys jump over the boards, they gotta know exactly what their role is and how to perform it. Not this "sling it around 50 times along the fucking boards, and there's no shot or driving to the net in sight" perimeter piss.

I think that's really all we need for next season. The rest of the ingredients are here. All we need now is some salt & pepper and a dash of vinegar.

2 is my #1. Tough to play against C. I want this guy to bring leadership. If this guy brings the right personality and character, plus there's a good coach, a big, young wingers can fill your #1. Kakko, Kreider, Kravtsov are all big guys. Lafreniere has an edge to him (so I've heard), Cuylle is coming soon, Zib & Chytil both have size... you get the right influences, these guys will start playing a little more physical, using size. If Buch stays around, he's on the right path to doing this.

I think there's a better chance for that than over-spending on a free agent of trade for a guy that comes to NY and flops, now we're stuck with a huge contract.

3.) Probably my number 2. I want a face puncher. Doesnt need to be an every day player. And, although I like Reaves, Deslauriers... they've old, can't really play. Would love to find the next guy. Someone named a bunch of young fighters in a different thread, I might be more interested going that route.

And a good coach.

Aside from getting you a proper Italian Deli Sub - I agree to an extent, but I don't see a world where we're not dealing bigger than this.

We have a few assets worth discussing that are unknowns and I think represent key questions for this off-season:

How much is an expansion draft protection spot worth - we've got one (or two if we're particularly bearish on that last forward spot)? There are a number of teams risking solid to very good players for nothing in the expansion draft - Bruins with Craig Smith and Ondrej Kase, Flames and Tanev, Canes and a lot of former Rangers, Minnesota and Matt Dumba, half of the Nashville roster - as examples. What's it cost to give any of these teams more than Seattle would to pick these guys?

Why on earth do we need to use our 1st this year? - Even if we by some statistical anomaly/miracle/one last fuck you to Steve Whinezerman win the lottery AGAIN, we'd have to explore trading that pick in a raw, defense-heavy, lightly-scouted draft. Or, at least change the calculus around guys like K'Andre Miller.

Knowing we can't win the lottery - why wouldn't we be more aggressive with our 2022 1st? Barring catastrophic injuries, we're simply not a bottom-10 team.

How can we weaponize 10M of cap space that's unaccounted for assuming expected contract renewals?

All of these things have serious value that we absolutely have to explore.

• Like 1

2 is my #1. Tough to play against C. I want this guy to bring leadership. If this guy brings the right personality and character, plus there's a good coach, a big, young wingers can fill your #1. Kakko, Kreider, Kravtsov are all big guys. Lafreniere has an edge to him (so I've heard), Cuylle is coming soon, Zib & Chytil both have size... you get the right influences, these guys will start playing a little more physical, using size. If Buch stays around, he's on the right path to doing this.

I think there's a better chance for that than over-spending on a free agent of trade for a guy that comes to NY and flops, now we're stuck with a huge contract.

3.) Probably my number 2. I want a face puncher. Doesnt need to be an every day player. And, although I like Reaves, Deslauriers... they've old, can't really play. Would love to find the next guy. Someone named a bunch of young fighters in a different thread, I might be more interested going that route.

And a good coach.

Mine are in no particular order, Josh...just as they come to my old ass brain!! LOL But yeah man, I think we're on the same page! :thumbs:

I don’t think major changes are needed either. Am I 100% convinced that big changes aren’t going to happen? Maybe not 100% on that. But, I personally don’t believe we’re so far off that we need to go out and fish for big changes.

I agree on our first round pick. It will likely wind up being right in the middle of a weak first round, and at this stage of the process, it can and should be used to bring in some outside help in our areas of weakness.

We don’t need goons, we need edge. We need size. We need veterans who can help the direction of these young kids and compliment them. And we need all of this because we’re too easy to game plan for. The Islander games showed that. It wasn’t even a playoff series, but the way they keyed in on us and we’re prepared to take us on in that little 3-game series across a week or so showed how much help we need in that department. We’re too one dimensional. And to be honest, I’d rather be this way one dimensional (all skill, no grizzle) than vice versa (no skill, all grizzle). We’ve been down that road before when we had guys like Callahan, Dubinsky, etc. coming up the pipe line, and we saw how difficult (and costly) it is to “buy” skill. With guys like Zibanejad and Panarin in here, we have guys we know can produce in big ways in this organization, and with guys like Lafreniere, Kakko, Kravtsov, etc. here and ready to grow, we have an abundance of young talent under cost control. It’s a lot more cost efficient to build this way and go out and try and find the right veteran (or veterans) you need to fill some holes in your bottom-6 then it is to key in and wait for other teams young superstars to become available via trade for a haul or hit UFA for a retirement contract.

We need to be smart and calculated for sure. But with the assets we have to trade and the potential free agents available, we should be able to find what we need this summer to start making our push next year, provided our in-house talent both produce and take their next steps forward.