• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

DeAngelo Clears Waivers Following Fight with Georgiev; Won't Play for Rangers Again

Blue Heaven

They tried.

https://theathletic.com/2357152/2021/01/31/tony-deangelo-waivers-new-york-rangers/?source=user_shared_article

Apparently no one wants him for reasons that are pretty transparent if you're not wearing MAGA-colored glasses. It's almost like being a career-long asshole is a bad thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

This doesn't say they tried to trade him in the off season...:confused:

And yea, I guess it's easier for fans to make it about his politics...more grievance.

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are you standing up for him? Lol. He stinks at defense and he?s a known locker room cancer. Seems like the only person who repeatedly makes this political is you and yet you?re constantly crying about it being about politics. Makes no sense.

When has it been said his teammates don't like him. From what I hear they actually LOVE the guy. A lot of liberal leaning fans are seriously slanting the negativity full blast on a guy they hate because of his political alliance. Enough please.

DeAngelo is on regular waivers as opposed to unconditional waivers, The Post has learned. According to the CBA, being placed on and clearing unconditional waivers are necessary for a team to be able to terminate a player’s contract.

There does appear to be an exception, according Section 14 of the Standard Players’ Contract that states: “The Club may also terminate this SPC [standard Player’s Contract] upon written notice to the Player (but only after obtaining Waivers from all other Clubs) if the Player shall at any time: a) fail, neglect or refuse to obey the Club’s rules governing training and conduct of Players if such failure, refusal or neglect should constitute a material breach of this SPC.”

It is unclear whether the Rangers will claim that Saturday night’s incident rises to the level of a material breach. If so, one would expect the NHLPA and DeAngelo’s camp to contest that charge. The defenseman is represented by Pat Brisson.

It seems impossible though that the Rangers would keep DeAngelo around the team by sending him to the taxi squad. For cap purposes, the Rangers would gain relief of only $1.075 million if DeAngelo is off the NHL roster. It also seems unlikely that they would want him skating with and playing for the Wolf Pack.

Sum and substance, all signs are pointing to DeAngelo’s time in New York having expired in a blaze of controversy even if the details of finalizing the divorce are murky. Maybe this is always the way it was meant to end. This seems like a situation from which there is no coming back.

In addition to the questionable body language from DeAngelo on Saturday, there had been indications that DeAngelo had not reacted to being scratched from the season’s second and third games with an especially constructive or positive attitude. It probably didn’t help that he was removed from the first power play unit for a few games until he was restored to the remodeled PP1 on Thursday in Buffalo.

https://nypost.com/2021/01/31/tony-deangelo-alex-georgiev-got-physical-after-rangers-loss/

This doesn't say they tried to trade him in the off season...:confused:

And yea, I guess it's easier for fans to make it about his politics...more grievance.

Yes it does:

The Rangers certainly scoured the market for a trade partner for DeAngelo, even after signing him to a two-year contract with a $4.8 million annual cap hit to avoid arbitration in October.

It is fair to say there was barely a market, if any, for DeAngelo in a trade. Certainly his baggage weighs heavily into that, because teams would normally line up for a 25-year-old right-handed offensive defenseman under cost control.

When you add all the behavior up, he's a headache no one wants to deal with.

I guess the question could be framed as, if he's a big enough asshole for smart hockey people to give him away for nothing, why is anyone defending him?

Better yet. Why did the NYR sign him to a 2 yr. deal in the first place, if he is such a problem? Oh, the threat of arbitration.

In addition to the questionable body language from DeAngelo on Saturday, there had been indications that DeAngelo had not reacted to being scratched from the season’s second and third games with an especially constructive or positive attitude. It probably didn’t help that he was removed from the first power play unit for a few games until he was restored to the remodeled PP1 on Thursday in Buffalo.
So glad this guy is off the team. Anything he brought to one end of the ice is not worth what he brings off the ice.

They tried.

https://theathletic.com/2357152/2021/01/31/tony-deangelo-waivers-new-york-rangers/?source=user_shared_article

Apparently no one wants him for reasons that are pretty transparent if you're not wearing MAGA-colored glasses. It's almost like being a career-long asshole is a bad thing.

Well I don't care about hid or anyones politics. What we accomplished last year was in part due to his offense. What we are wicking st this year is also partly due to his lack of offense. To say we are better without him though seems far off to me personally.

Sorry, you're right. But I've been told they explored deals in the summer/off-season, too. For whatever that's worth.

Yea, I don't doubt it, they probably just didn't fine one they thought was fair value, so they signed him. In hindsight, getting anything at all for him would have been a win.

Well I don't care about hid or anyones politics. What we accomplished last year was in part due to his offense. What we are wicking st this year is also partly due to his lack of offense. To say we are better without him though seems far off to me personally.

They're not bailing on him because of his politics. It's a cop out to suggest as much. If they didn't want MAGA supporters in the room they'd be running Lemieux out of town, too. And likely others. The NHL, by and large, is a very pro-Trump league.

They're bailing on him because he's a toxic, shit heel of a person who just fought a team mate, and pouted, again, when he was scratched, again. It's a collection of bad radios and behaviors that's simply not outweighed by whatever offense he brings -- especially when that offense is nonexistent this season.

They're not bailing on him because of his politics. It's a cop out to suggest as much. If they didn't want MAGA supporters in the room they'd be running Lemieux out of town, too. And likely others. The NHL, by and large, is a very pro-Trump league.

They're bailing on him because he's a toxic, shit heel of a person who just fought a team mate, and pouted, again, when he was scratched, again. It's a collection of bad radios and behaviors that's simply not outweighed by whatever offense he brings -- especially when that offense is nonexistent this season.

Don't care how emotional he was after a bad goal ending the game. YOU CANNOT ATTACK YOUR TEAMMATE. It's totally unacceptable. Shows a complete lack of self control. And at this point hope they try to void his contract for cause.

No that’s not what in saying. You implied anyone that might not agree with this is due to Maga colored glasses.

They have enough offensive D. they need D who play D.

Cool, I?m never on top of the roster to know these things. That said is it time they name a captain? They got rid of a headache so seems to be the next step. I?m not a Quinn fan but firing a coach now will not be productive even though I want it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I appreciate Tony's offensive abilities but he's clearly a player who isn't interested in improving himself. This is a guy whose career has been plagued with conduct-related issues and he has yet to mature. He's 25, he really shouldn't be having the same issues that he had as a teenager. His offensive tools, while elite, aren't worth the immaturity he's displayed. That coupled with how putrid his defense has been really doesn't make him an option. He has an on-ice save % of 75% per NaturalStatTrick. 1/4 of all shots against are going in when he's on the ice. He's second-worst in the league by that metric, as most of the players ahead of him have one game played. Fox, Lindgren, Miller, and Trouba are all above 90%. He's practically a guaranteed goal against.

Fox will somehow be ok handling the point on the PP while not being completely inept in his own end which is an added bonus. Kid carried the earned reputation as an immature bad apple for years and just couldn't overcome his own propensity to mess things up for himself. Mission accomplished. I don't doubt they tried to move him and the fact nobody was interested even though he was locked down this year and next says a lot.

If indeed somebody stepped up to him last night I'm going to go with Kreider, not because I think he's some hero, more based on his appearance post game and complete level of frustration which was at another level. His play contributing to that obviously terrible outcome.

They don’t have any offensive Defense as good offensively as deangelo. And they have about 8 dmen just as bad as deangelo.

This is a fire Gorton issue.

Adam Fox is better than DeAngelo. He runs the PP now (even with DeAngelo in the lineup) and can also play defense. Miller and Trouba are both 2-way dmen. They really don't need another forward playing defense. DeAngelo's replacement should be someone who can keep the puck out of the net.

Adam Fox is better than DeAngelo. He runs the PP now (even with DeAngelo in the lineup) and can also play defense. Miller and Trouba are both 2-way dmen. They really don't need another forward playing defense. DeAngelo's replacement should be someone who can keep the puck out of the net.

Fox carried the pp so well that they put deangelo out there with him

Okay, well then he still got benched for 2 games and fought a teammate 8 games into the season... not a glowing review.

The guy has one less point than the teams top center... their +/- is similar. In two less games.

The guy gets punched for a remark and HE gets waived? Wasn't there a fight within the team LAST season as well, besides Smith and Vinny?

I don't know man. Sounds like an out of control locker room, with players who can't get their shit together to start games. By all accounts DeAngelo was a favorite in the locker room. So, the fucking BACK UP goalie gets bent over a comment and punches the guy, and HES not the one on waivers? Like everything else with this franchise, they do it backwards.