• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

DeAngelo Clears Waivers Following Fight with Georgiev; Won't Play for Rangers Again

Blue Heaven

I'm sure there was an incident as much as I am that they already had one foot out the door on Tony. This was obviously the final straw in their mind. That's a pretty unique talent to flush the toilet on.

You have to be a unique kind of asshole for a team to want to give you away for nothing.

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big Picture-this franchise had a defense that had McDonagh and Pionk, and was inexplicably sitting on a solid D guy in Ryan Graves, whom they never gave a chance and got nothing for when he left. To the soon departed Dangelo and his huge ass salary, the engima that is Trouba and his big ass contract coupled with a NMC, and Libor Hajek, who cannot beat out the dehydrated husk that is Jack Johnson.

Wow.

Big Picture-this franchise had a defense that had McDonagh and Pionk, and was inexplicably sitting on a solid D guy in Ryan Graves, whom they never gave a chance and got nothing for when he left. To the soon departed Dangelo and his huge ass salary, the engima that is Trouba and his big ass contract coupled with a NMC, and Libor Hajek, who cannot beat out the dehydrated husk that is Jack Johnson.

Wow.

Graves required the extra development that he got from playing with the Eagles, Colorado's AHL team. The player the Rangers traded and the player he became are not the same. Graves started the season supplanted by Devon Toews after riding shotgun with Makar last season. Even got a healthy scratch. He's not that special.

Graves required the extra development that he got from playing with the Eagles, Colorado's AHL team. The player the Rangers traded and the player he became are not the same. Graves started the season supplanted by Devon Toews after riding shotgun with Makar last season. Even got a healthy scratch. He's not that special.

Who needs special when the current collection of D outside Fox and Miller are not even competent, including the ridiculously overpaid Trouba. I'd settle for competent and professional like Graves is.

This morning is like a 4 alarm fire in the Grucci factory.

You have to be a unique kind of asshole for a team to want to give you away for nothing.

Not to mention for it to override the talent he exhibited last year.

The board has gone back and forth about DeAngelo and rumored attitude issues for a long time. I personally did not give them much weight other than it being driven by some folks who didn't like his Twitter. But having the team waiving him after a 60 point season AND re-signing him to a 2 yr/9 million dollar deal? If that doesn't prove out the attitude issues stem out further than an opinionated Twitter, I'm not sure what does.

It is what it is. Sucks to probably lose the talent for nothing, but not going to lose sleep about it if it was deserved.

The Rangers have clearly found a way to strike oil on scouting defensemen. I'm not miffed that one of them didn't work out. There are smallish puck movers who aren't assholes in our system.
Yeah? Who? Minimizing his skills a little bit, no? I think this whole situation sucks. We're getting nothing for a guy that put up 53 points in 68 games last year. He's looked a bit lost at times this season (as have many) but i don't see the guy that makes the rangers better than we were with Tony D.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Like 1

Three sources have confirmed to The Athletic that there was indeed an altercation involving DeAngelo and goalie Alexandar Georgiev in the tunnel that leads to the Rangers’ locker room. Incidentally, Georgiev was held out of practice for “maintenance” on Sunday. The altercation was quickly broken up.

The Rangers did not confirm or deny the incident occurred.

This is clearly more than DeAngelo’s on-ice performance. The Rangers certainly scoured the market for a trade partner for DeAngelo, even after signing him to a two-year contract with a $4.8 million annual cap hit to avoid arbitration in October.

It is fair to say there was barely a market, if any, for DeAngelo in a trade. Certainly his baggage weighs heavily into that, because teams would normally line up for a 25-year-old right-handed offensive defenseman under cost control.

https://theathletic.com/2357152/2021/01/31/tony-deangelo-waivers-new-york-rangers/

This confirms everything I've been told about what happened here. In effect, the Rangers are putting him on waivers in the hopes someone thinks they can fix him and claims him. Barring that, they'll likely look to mutual contract termination, and barring that (assuming he and his agent say no), they'll just sit him for the year and then buy him out this summer.

This confirms everything I've been told about what happened here. In effect, the Rangers are putting him on waivers in the hopes someone thinks they can fix him and claims him. Barring that, they'll likely look to mutual contract termination, and barring that (assuming he and his agent say no), they'll just sit him for the year and then buy him out this summer.

What a mess don?t see any good coming out of this

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Yeah? Who? Minimizing his skills a little bit, no? I think this whole situation sucks. We're getting nothing for a guy that put up 53 points in 68 games last year. He's looked a bit lost at times this season (as have many) but i don't see the guy that makes the rangers better than we were with Tony D.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I'm not minimizing his skills at all. He's a below average defender with a strong offensive bent that benefitted massively from having outsized time, specifically on the powerplay, with two talents having career years last year.

Nils Lundkvist and Zac Jones are of similar mold - actually, that's kind of untrue since both of them apparently actually know how to play defense in addition to being puck movers. Neither of them are assholes. Then we've got guys like Miller, Schneider, and Robertson who are all bigger bodies and can move the puck. They're probably not 50 point defenders, but again, not assholes and can play defense.

By all reports we tried moving on from DeAngelo. We tried trades. We didn't want to do arbitration because we'd artificially tank his value. Nobody wants this "amazing 53 point defender" because he's such an unrelenting shitdemon. He's replaceable in our system. It does suck that we're getting nothing for him, but it's not as if we didn't try.

I'm not minimizing his skills at all. He's a below average defender with a strong offensive bent that benefitted massively from having outsized time, specifically on the powerplay, with two talents having career years last year.

Nils Lundkvist and Zac Jones are of similar mold - actually, that's kind of untrue since both of them apparently actually know how to play defense in addition to being puck movers. Neither of them are assholes. Then we've got guys like Miller, Schneider, and Robertson who are all bigger bodies and can move the puck. They're probably not 50 point defenders, but again, not assholes and can play defense.

By all reports we tried moving on from DeAngelo. We tried trades. We didn't want to do arbitration because we'd artificially tank his value. Nobody wants this "amazing 53 point defender" because he's such an unrelenting shitdemon. He's replaceable in our system. It does suck that we're getting nothing for him, but it's not as if we didn't try.

Yeah sounds like they've been trying to move him for a long time and nobody was interested. If he's fighting the goalie on the way off the ice, it's addition by subtraction at this point.

NHL teams have frequently given a chance to worse apples than ADA, but that's usually as a UFA or in a trade. Even if another team were amenable to picking up ADA at his salary, I think they would resist taking him off waivers because they don't want to interfere with a team's discipline of a player.

Was it 15 years ago now that it seemed like Brendan Smith would never play for the Rangers again after he got in a fight with Vinnie Letierri?

• Like 1

Agreed -- should have dumped him years ago. Better yet, never taken him in the first place.

They totally should have traded him in the off-season when his value was high.

That said, he's on waivers today because of him. Not because the team did something to him or is making a bad decision.

They totally should have traded him in the off-season when his value was high.

That said, he's on waivers today because of him. Not because the team did something to him or is making a bad decision.

They tried.

https://theathletic.com/2357152/2021/01/31/tony-deangelo-waivers-new-york-rangers/?source=user_shared_article

Apparently no one wants him for reasons that are pretty transparent if you're not wearing MAGA-colored glasses. It's almost like being a career-long asshole is a bad thing.

He?s been benched. He?s created a burner account. And he got into a fight with a teammate in less than a month.

If you?re trying to have a positive team culture, this isn?t helping.

Look this bullshit about a burner account is infact bullshit. It hasn't been confirmed and is ridiculous to begin with.