• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Youth/Minor/Development Hockey

Puck Head

Great photos of both teams always getting together after game and posing on ice.

Opposing teams are getting kick out of playing team from so far away

Yeah, more mutual respect when you play teams you never get a chance to play. There's no rivalry, bad blood, etc ...

http://www.admkids.com/page/show/1058178-h

Hockey sense or hockey instincts are what give players the ability to read and anticipate the play. The best players are the ones with the best hockey sense and just like any other skill, it can be taught. The key is to place kids in live action situations and small area games in practice. The reason the 5v5 full ice game is not a great teacher for young kids is due to a lack of timely repetition and feedback.

http://www.admkids.com/news_article/show/321535?referrer_id=940598

Playing more games doesn’t make you a better player. In fact, it could inhibit development, especially at the youth levels. Just ask Don Lucia, head men’s ice hockey coach at the University of Minnesota. Lucia recalls watching his son grow up playing youth hockey, current Notre Dame standout Mario Lucia.

The lack of puck touches and opportunities for 12U players didn't make sense to Lucia, who is now in his 27th season coaching NCAA Division I hockey. This age group is still in a critical skill-development stage, and that's what should take priority.

Maintaining a 3:1 practice-to-game ratio is the best course for player development.

I skated for Don :)

Also sat in a room where is talked about player development years later, and perhaps one of the best points of view I've heard.

Small area- huge reason I went this direction 6 years ago. After coaching high school and U16 and u18 I had NO idea what "development" turkey meant.

Coaching- his first thing he said...YOU are not going to jump from Alaska comp squirts to a NHL coaching job...so stop worrying about your win/loss so much.

Bench- keep it fun, roll your lines evenly, and out every kid in every situation (power play, penalty kill, end of game situations, etc). Kids will be better log term for it.

Practice/game ratio- Hockey Canada and USA studies believe it takes 8 games to get the individual skill acquisition you get from one excellent well run practice. So my focus last 3 or 4 years has been 95% practice...not even caring about the next game.

He's a smart dude

This sucky part of the game ... especially when it it's close to home.

Michael Nichols, a senior forward on the Monroe ice hockey team, was listed in stable condition after undergoing surgery for a broken neck sustained in a game against Vernon on Saturday.

Nichols went into surgery Sunday at 12:30 p.m. at Morristown Medical Center after being airlifted from the game at Skylands Ice World in Stockholm, where he sustained the injury when he went headfirst into the boards.

A hospital spokesperson verified the condition of Nichols, who reportedly was "resting and breathing on his own," according to the Monroe ice hockey web site, MonroeFalconsHockey.com. Hospital officials would not provide further details on Nichols' condition.

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/6370652073451133369/ice-hockey-overwhelming-community-support-for-monroes-mike-nichols/#incart_m-rpt-1

Heard about this today at the office. The kid is an associate at our store in Spotswood. Terrible shame, and we are trying to see if there is anything we can do for his family.

Heard about this today at the office. The kid is an associate at our store in Spotswood. Terrible shame, and we are trying to see if there is anything we can do for his family.

Great ... I'm sure I'll hear updates, but they're not really close to us in the sense that it's HS, and it's in NY. If you get any info, please share. We're all praying for him.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got this in my email

Stores #106 & 163 will be fundraising for Mike Nichols, Spotswood Associate and Monroe Township Senior, who was severely injured in a sports accident as follows:

STORES: Store #106 - Spotswood & Store #163 - Clark

WHEN: Sunday, January 26 - Saturday, February 1, 2014

HOW: PLU 1015 - Donations of any amount

yxfm.png

Awesome stuff Mikey. Those two stores generate a lot of weekly revenue so I am sure a lot of money will be raised for him and his family.

I heard he's had a lot of visitors. Eric LeGrand went to see him, among some NHLers. He's getting so much support, and everyone is pulling for him.

From a FB page set up for him:

Good Morning. Yesterday Mikey left his room and it wasn't for some kind of test. His nurse took him for a short tour of the hospital hallways. It may not sound like much, but after three weeks of looking at the same walls for Mike, it was huge. He also had the best night of sleep he has had, he is even acting like a teenager and is sleeping in this AM. This morning he has no fever and is still breathing without difficulty. Might seem like baby steps but these a giant baby steps for Mikey.

https://www.facebook.com/prayformikey23

Heart breaking, but well played tournament hosted by the Rochester Americans. They finished the 3 preliminary games 2-1, with 10 gf and 4 ga.

Lost 3-2 to Brampton 45's

Won 4-1 vs Amherst Knights

Won 4-0 vs Rideau St. Lawrence (Michael with the shut out)

They finished 7th among 26 teams, and were placed in the gold bracket where they ended up playing Brampton again and losing 3-2 in OT in the first playoff game. Great effort all weekend hanging with some top teams from Cleveland, KC, Pitt, Philly, MD, Wash DC, NJ, Western NY, and Canada.

It's that time of the year ... Everyone is trying to figure out what to do next year. Are you staying? If not, where are you going? Who is coaching there? Who is coaching here? Who is happy? Who is unhappy? Who needs more ice time? What teams are imploding? What teams are picked already? ... etc

Then you have possible rule changes that everyone is worrying about. Possibly new divisions - Can't play at bantam if you're not old enough (no playing up) - More league games - More travel - Pre season games to determine strength of teams -

You guys aren't done with this season....why start worrying about next season

Tell me about it. It's fuckin nuts.

Most districts don't allow players to move up into bantams of they are still per wee age

Squirt and pee wee jumps ok, but not bantams

It's allowed here, but they're looking to change it.