• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Youth/Minor/Development Hockey

Puck Head

1 minute ago, Albatrosss said:

tryouts in the spring never made sense to me.  What if the kid practices all summer, takes skating lessons, private lessons, etc?

Or just grow. 
Ages 15 and up, things change so quickly. The kid who got a summer job comes in 10x more mature and ready than the kid eating Pringles all summer and only activity is hockey camps 

• Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, Puck Head said:

Or just grow. 
Ages 15 and up, things change so quickly. The kid who got a summer job comes in 10x more mature and ready than the kid eating Pringles all summer and only activity is hockey camps 

yeah

9 minutes ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

Now that the crazy season(evaluations time) is over, everyone land on the team that they wanted to?

We're 1st year squirts, so I have no expectations. I wanted my kid to land on a team with a good coach, where he'll have fun. That's it. We got that, so I'm happy.

These people who jump program to program looking for "opportunity" make me laugh, TBH.

Edited by Pete

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

We're 1st year squirts, so I have no expectations. I wanted my kid to land on a team with a good coach, where he'll have fun. That's it. We got that, so I'm happy.

These people who jump program to program looking for "opportunity" make me laugh, TBH.

Pretty much about the right fit.

- schedule 

- and coach is a biggie 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

1000%! If you are on your 3rd program in 3 years you are either choosing where to play exceptionally badly or you/your kid are the issue.

We just left the program that we were in for the last 8 years as my son had an opportunity to play Tier 1, and he jumped at it.

About 3 years ago, I did find it helpful to start going to ID skates and other evaluations on nights/times that didn't conflict with our organization. Was always great to get that perspective.  

33 minutes ago, Puck Head said:

Pretty much about the right fit.

- schedule 

- and coach is a biggie 

I have found the coach to be the biggest factor. Your kid plays for the right coach, they get so much more out of it than just hockey.

Just finished Sunday, and signed today. We're playing for the '16 Bruce County Bucks of the KLEVR Super League, coached by former Oiler legend Theo Peckham. It's gonna be a blast, but we won't be very good. 

Played the (or a version of) Toronto Bulldogs on the weekend. I've seen the future of hockey, and it ain't any of the kids on our team. 

I will miss coaching this year. I'm  coaching baseball, but it's not the same. Maybe they'll let me on the ice with the goalies once in a while.

31 minutes ago, Dunny said:

I think we play the NJ Jr. Titans on Friday. Anybody familiar with that program? 

I'm not 100% sure it's them, but they're the only program I can find with that name.

Looks like they're a tier 1 team in the AAHA. 

30 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Is that good? lol

I hope it's them, I don't see who else it would be, but in Spring hockey it could be some dude named "Neil James' Titans" lol

For them to be traveling to Canada for spring hockey, I'd imagine they don't suck LOL.

14 hours ago, Dunny said:

I think we play the NJ Jr. Titans on Friday. Anybody familiar with that program? 

I'm not 100% sure it's them, but they're the only program I can find with that name.

My son played for NJ Titans. Im not sure who’s on the Jr team tho. 

On 4/23/2024 at 8:26 AM, Dunny said:

This is U9. There are some bigger clubs at this thing. I'll report back after we play them, or whoever it is.

I know their 14U crew as we played against them several times last season. Coaches and manager were great. Legitimate Tier 1 youth hockey.

Actually if it's their 9U AAA team it's the same coach as their 14U.