• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Youth/Minor/Development Hockey

Puck Head

10 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

There are some outdoor public rinks but not like when I was growing up that had actual leagues.  There is a rink behind the Smithtown library on Portion road.  Its west of Lake Ave.  Its right next to that random gazebo on the south side of the road.  
Maple Ave in Smithtown there is an outdoor rink.  There is another outdoor rink at another park somewhere in Smithtown as well but I forgot which park it was.  My son is playing deck hockey at The Sports Arena in St James on Middle Country road.  The non-ice youth hockey scene definitely isn't what it was when I was growing up.  

I’ll take the open rinks with no league just to even shoot the puck around and skate for exercise. These are all roller rinks? I’ll have to check these out 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/26/2023 at 12:28 PM, Puck Head said:

That’s a serious invite. Let us know how it goes 

The camp was actually this past week. The talent was amazing. My guy didn’t make it but I was impressed that he was able to hang.  I was checking Elite prospects regularly during the camp and just about every kid that was standing out already were D1 commits. 

The experience of playing against those types of players, all grinding for a spot, is going to be very helpful to him moving forward. He left pumped up that he knows he can hang. Next step is being able to take over against the same type of talent. 

He’s got the Maryland Black Bears (NAHL) camp up next and I think he’s really going to kill it there. 

• The Chyt! 1
  • Applause 1

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

The camp was actually this past week. The talent was amazing. My guy didn’t make it but I was impressed that he was able to hang.  I was checking Elite prospects regularly during the camp and just about every kid that was standing out already were D1 commits. 

The experience of playing against those types of players, all grinding for a spot, is going to be very helpful to him moving forward. He left pumped up that he knows he can hang. Next step is being able to take over against the same type of talent. 

He’s got the Maryland Black Bears (NAHL) camp up next and I think he’s really going to kill it there. 

The NAHL is a serious league that produces the most Div1 scholarships outside of the USHL.

How old is he?

• 1 month later...

So I know this technically isn't considered youth hockey, its closer to beer league but whatever.  I figured posting here is better than posting a new topic.  

I play on the Long Island Warriors hockey team.  We're a 501c3 organization made up entirely of Veterans. We are sponsored by the Islanders(I know, I know...it kills me but the Rangers don't have a team lol), as other Warrior teams are sponsored by some other NHL clubs.  In August we are hosting our 3rd annual Warrior Summer Shootout tournament.  We're selling raffle tickets for $20 each and prizes are as follows:

1st: $2,000
2nd: $1,000
3rd: $500

Winners do not have to be present at the rink to collect their prizes.  If anyone is interested please let me know.

spacer.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I apologize but I have nowhere to vent/rant.

Where's @Mike anyways, I have a goalie on my hands... not good.

Anyways, today's post is more of a mea culpa. I used to think I was above all the nonsense, but I've come to realize I actually love it. All the political BS. All the people who think their opinion matters, but who aren't in the local old Boys club who we just laugh at. I admit, I love it. I love it all.

I'm attempting to pull my 7 year old from his team on September the 17th because I feel both the program and the coach are hopeless, and it feels awesome. Like a total fuck you, you're clueless and eat shit. Why does this feel so good? Both very disappointed in myself and exhilarated at the same time.

• Like 1
  • LMFAO 1
  • JIMMY! 1

• 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, Dunny said:

@Pete, how is it going?

Pretty well, my kid's playing defense, he looks like Karlsson out there. All offense, but an adventure sometimes in his own zone. He'll have to learn when the time is right to move up.

Coaching mites is just...I just change the lines and don't say too much during games. During practices, I just try to get the kids to shut up, take a knee, and listen to coaches.

How about you?

38 minutes ago, Dunny said:

What age is Mites? Are those '16's?

I was on a U8 bench an hour ago, and it's painful.

2015. He's u-10. 

They're a bunch of kids on his team who, when you try to coach them, look at you and project understanding of the concept while at the same time project telling me to go fuck myself as I explain the concept. 

It's like they understand that they should be doing what I am explaining, but for some unforeseen reason they're just not going to do it, even though they know they should be doing it.

It's kind of like explaining hockey to folks here. 

Edited by Pete
  • LOL 1
  • LMFAO 1

It's too bad they don't quite line up. Had things broke a little differently we could have had a potential Pete/Dunny proxy war on the ice.

We have 3 kids with AA/AAA spring hockey experience lined up with kids who are playing for the 1st time. It's a shitshow. We're very restricted to where we can play here, and the rules that govern this age are... bizarre, at best. 

26 minutes ago, Dunny said:

It's too bad they don't quite line up. Had things broke a little differently we could have had a potential Pete/Dunny proxy war on the ice.

We have 3 kids with AA/AAA spring hockey experience lined up with kids who are playing for the 1st time. It's a shitshow. We're very restricted to where we can play here, and the rules that govern this age are... bizarre, at best. 

Your kid would completely submarine my kid and take out his knees, and my kid would reply "sick hip check homie".

Yeah, I had a taste of how political local hockey can be, but now that I'm involved and coaching and talking to a bunch of other parents, this shit is ridiculous and I wouldn't care if my kid decided he just wanted to do some clinics and house leagues. 

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Your kid would completely submarine my kid and take out his knees, and my kid would reply "sick hip check homie".

Yeah, I had a taste of how political local hockey can be, but now that I'm involved and coaching and talking to a bunch of other parents, this shit is ridiculous and I wouldn't care if my kid decided he just wanted to do some clinics and house leagues. 

Which organization he’s playing at?

14 hours ago, Pete said:

Do house leagues even exist anymore?

1 minute ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

If you find one, let me know. I looked in my area and it's all feeder programs for the travel teams that own the rinks.

Will do.

I also am pretty sure I don't want him hitting either, so that'll be part of finding a rec situation as he gets older.