• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Youth/Minor/Development Hockey

Puck Head

Puckhead, or anyone else ... They've been talking about making a rule that PW players won't be able to play up at the bantam level. Is that a rule that USA can insert immediately? They've been talking about it for 5 years already, but now it seems that they're going to enforce it. Someone had mentioned that a rule like that would take a year to go into effect, but they weren't 100% sure in this case.

Puckhead, or anyone else ... They've been talking about making a rule that PW players won't be able to play up at the bantam level. Is that a rule that USA can insert immediately? They've been talking about it for 5 years already, but now it seems that they're going to enforce it. Someone had mentioned that a rule like that would take a year to go into effect, but they weren't 100% sure in this case.

Our Pacific district voted, and then implemented that summer, (within weeks).

It's a good rule.

Our association added to that....

No player may move up without consent of the board, (which I sit on), and also that player must be in the top 25% of the team he's moving up to.

(Any player moving up better be good enough to be a top line player on older team).

This applies to everybody up to bantams. Then we stop for all cases.

I remember the huge debates on the new checking rules, I remember when he shifted birthdates to birth "years", etc.

But when it came to the rule of not moving up early to Bantams there wasn't much debate. Pretty much everyone involved with the game thought it was a good rule.

Our Pacific district voted, and then implemented that summer, (within weeks).

It's a good rule.

Our association added to that....

No player may move up without consent of the board, (which I sit on), and also that player must be in the top 25% of the team he's moving up to.

(Any player moving up better be good enough to be a top line player on older team).

This applies to everybody up to bantams. Then we stop for all cases.

I remember the huge debates on the new checking rules, I remember when he shifted birthdates to birth "years", etc.

But when it came to the rule of not moving up early to Bantams there wasn't much debate. Pretty much everyone involved with the game thought it was a good rule.

So it's voted in in your district, but not here yet? I thought USA rules were USA rules. How long have you had that implemented?

I thought that rule was already in effect? I know this upcoming year USA hockey is not allowing Mite level kids to play up in squirts anymore. Basically they are saying if the kids are too good for Mite create a Mite AA team. I'm not sure how this is going to work out but I know there are people complaining about it at my rink.

I thought that rule was already in effect? I know this upcoming year USA hockey is not allowing Mite level kids to play up in squirts anymore. Basically they are saying if the kids are too good for Mite create a Mite AA team. I'm not sure how this is going to work out but I know there are people complaining about it at my rink.

Yeah, but the next concern is having kids that may not be developed yet, getting hit in bantams. My son's age group ( 02's ), were the last ones to play up before they implemented the cross ice stuff. Our whole team were mites playing in a squirt division.

I agree with the no Peewees playing up just for that reason. I know your son is a goalie and may not apply as much but I don't think 12 y.o's should be checking or, more likely, receiving checks.

Yeah, Michael is a big boy, though. He has a bad hockey bday too ... December 13th. But he's 5'2, 100lbs, and not much baby fat, solid.

I don't think many places are actually doing cross-ice like USA hockey wants. I have seen only half-ice with either bumpers or temporary boards put up on the red line.

Right, right, but there's no score kept, no standings, etc .. The parents don't like it, but they aren't playing, so they should just deal with it. lol. What team is your kid on? How old is he?

He is an '05 playing up in Squirt. He had a great start to the year, then he went through a period of time where he was a little intimidated, but now he's back to playing real well again. He'll be 9 in June and some of the kids he's playing against are turning 11 already. Big size difference but he is quick, shifty, and has some real hockey sense already.

He is an '05 playing up in Squirt. He had a great start to the year, then he went through a period of time where he was a little intimidated, but now he's back to playing real well again. He'll be 9 in June and some of the kids he's playing against are turning 11 already. Big size difference but he is quick, shifty, and has some real hockey sense already.

I have a few friends whose kids do the same as you. 2 are on the Colonials, and 1 is on the Avalanche. Did you play them? Yeah, same here with the age thing. Michael just turned 11, playing against kids that are 13.

I have a few friends whose kids do the same as you. 2 are on the Colonials, and 1 is on the Avalanche. Did you play them? Yeah, same here with the age thing. Michael just turned 11, playing against kids that are 13.

We get slotted in the South group so we didn't play them this season and we didn't have either of them scheduled for NL games either. Those late b-days are tough. We have a couple of real late 04's and they are over-matched right now. We are wrapping up the season real soon. One more NL game on Sunday and then heading to Laurel, MD next weekend for a tourny and that's it.

We get slotted in the South group so we didn't play them this season and we didn't have either of them scheduled for NL games either. Those late b-days are tough. We have a couple of real late 04's and they are over-matched right now. We are wrapping up the season real soon. One more NL game on Sunday and then heading to Laurel, MD next weekend for a tourny and that's it.

Yeah, we have 2 games this weekend, 2 practices next week, and then we're playing in a tourny at the Ice House. Michael returning to his old home, looking to beat his old team !!

Yeah, we have 2 games this weekend, 2 practices next week, and then we're playing in a tourny at the Ice House. Michael returning to his old home, looking to beat his old team !!

It's always sad when a season comes to a close but I'm sure Michael is pumped to get some revenge. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Are to sure that's going to be a USA hockey rule?

USA hockey has stayed clear of that one (except for moving Into bantams now)

Are to sure that's going to be a USA hockey rule?

USA hockey has stayed clear of that one (except for moving Into bantams now)

I don't know where it started but that information was going around our rink that it was a USA Hockey rule. Also, Matt Herr, from USA Hockey, came to our rink and gave a presentation stressing the cross-ice/small area development style that USA Hockey has been promoting. He was adamant about Mites playing Mites level b/c of the size of the ice surface for young kids. I can't imagine that our program would just make it up the rule either.

I don't know where it started but that information was going around our rink that it was a USA Hockey rule. Also' date=' Matt Herr, from USA Hockey, came to our rink and gave a presentation stressing the cross-ice/small area development style that USA Hockey has been promoting. He was adamant about Mites playing Mites level b/c of the size of the ice surface for young kids. I can't imagine that our program would just make it up the rule either.[/quote']

No rule yet

Like I said, that rule isn't going to be handed down by USA hockey

Try leave that to leagues and organizations (districts won't even pursue it)

No rule yet

Like I said, that rule isn't going to be handed down by USA hockey

Try leave that to leagues and organizations (districts won't even pursue it)

Interesting...I'll be at the rink in a little while so I'll see if I can find out where this rule rumor started.

It's been talked about for 3+ years. The parents don't like it, but it's better for the kids. More touches in tighter space. If you get 1 really good kid, he's going to skate through the whole team, and won't be able to make passes because no one can keep up with him.

Interesting...I'll be at the rink in a little while so I'll see if I can find out where this rule rumor started.

Rumor about cross ice development or rumor about kids playing up?

USA had a long drawn out reasoning about as to why kids should play within their age group and not move up. It's spelled out during out ADM presentations. That being said, USA hockey will not rule upon it, and nether will the districts. Reason being there are still rural communities that need to blend levels to field a team.

Our state organization handed down the NO moving into bantams early.

As far as the cross ice mite development. As mikey explained, multiple reasons for it. Time and space, creativity, spacial awareness. All the things my generation learned skating outside on ponds.

Our team won the Championship for the AYHL this past weekend, 16U American. Beat the LI Royals 4-1 and NJ Colonials 6-1 in the 2 games.. Next year should be more difficult, Pops and I are moving up to the National level. Pretty cool being at the rink though and seeing a lot of old Flyers (Even though I hate them) and their kids. We have LeClairs son on our team, Hatcher coached one team, Primeau coached another and had 2 kids out there, Brieres kid was there, and Timonen as well (Just assuming it was his son, all others I know for sure). Best part about all these guys is they are just normal Dad's doing their part with their kids.

Mikey I looked to see if your son was playing, always mix up what Age group he is, hope he does well this weekend against his old team!

Our team won the Championship for the AYHL this past weekend, 16U American. Beat the LI Royals 4-1 and NJ Colonials 6-1 in the 2 games.. Next year should be more difficult, Pops and I are moving up to the National level. Pretty cool being at the rink though and seeing a lot of old Flyers (Even though I hate them) and their kids. We have LeClairs son on our team, Hatcher coached one team, Primeau coached another and had 2 kids out there, Brieres kid was there, and Timonen as well (Just assuming it was his son, all others I know for sure). Best part about all these guys is they are just normal Dad's doing their part with their kids.

Mikey I looked to see if your son was playing, always mix up what Age group he is, hope he does well this weekend against his old team!

I think I walked in when your game was over. Were you in rink 3? Briere's oldest kid is an 01, right? I think he has 2. Yes, the Primeau brothers coach at Comcast .. holy shit are they big fuckin boys or what? I've encountered the same experiences as you have with former/current players, coaches, and yes ... announcers. Pierre's kid plays for the MidFairfield Blues. Michael played against him a bunch of times. Played against Lagenbrunner's kid a few times too. Tonelli coaches the Westchester Express. Also played with Biron and Kovalev's kids a couple of years ago in a tournament as a fill in. Some guys are a little more intense than others, but a few of them are actually crazy as fuck. John Madden is a nut job, he's had multiple incidents in some rinks.

02 PWAA - Michael's old team isn't on their preliminary game schedule, so the only way we play them is if it's in the playoffs. I also know what games he's playing already, so we'd have to meet them in the semi's for him to get a crack at them.

I think I walked in when your game was over. Were you in rink 3? Briere's oldest kid is an 01, right? I think he has 2. Yes, the Primeau brothers coach at Comcast .. holy shit are they big fuckin boys or what? I've encountered the same experiences as you have with former/current players, coaches, and yes ... announcers. Pierre's kid plays for the MidFairfield Blues. Michael played against him a bunch of times. Played against Lagenbrunner's kid a few times too. Tonelli coaches the Westchester Express. Also played with Biron and Kovalev's kids a couple of years ago in a tournament as a fill in. Some guys are a little more intense than others, but a few of them are actually crazy as fuck. John Madden is a nut job, he's had multiple incidents in some rinks.

02 PWAA - Michael's old team isn't on their preliminary game schedule, so the only way we play them is if it's in the playoffs. I also know what games he's playing already, so we'd have to meet them in the semi's for him to get a crack at them.

Yup, Rink 3 it was.. I swear Briere's kids are bigger than him, the one plays against us, 16 years old, and is a little tank.. So he must have an 01 and a 98. Primeau has some big boys, I know one is a Goalie, and apparently he is playing up for his age to play with his Dad. Heard this is the last year he is coaching though. Good luck to Michael, if anything, let's hope he makes it further than his old mates!

Yup, Rink 3 it was.. I swear Briere's kids are bigger than him, the one plays against us, 16 years old, and is a little tank.. So he must have an 01 and a 98. Primeau has some big boys, I know one is a Goalie, and apparently he is playing up for his age to play with his Dad. Heard this is the last year he is coaching though. Good luck to Michael, if anything, let's hope he makes it further than his old mates!

Ahhhhh ok. I thought the 01 was the oldest. He's a big boy too. Yes, I saw Primeau's kid play goal. We had a game right after his in Pennsauken one day. I remember being in the bathroom when he walked in and a shadow was cast over my urinal.

Briere's son at our level doesn't wear his last name on his jersey... But his younger son does. Always found that a little weird.

He's the only one out there with a blank jersey? I'm guessing at that level, kids wanna prove something by running a NHLers kid. That's probably why it's blank. Same reason why former players don't like skating in pick up games, or men's league.