• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Youth/Minor/Development Hockey

Puck Head

We had 5 players from our team attend the national camp process last week (my son not one of them).

Very interesting stuff to hear about how it went.

Obviously a ton of scouts there.

These are the top 200 American born Bantams in the nation.

A few interesting things.

- They said only 50% of this group will be invited next season as 15 year olds.

- And only 50% of that group will be invited the year after as 16 year olds.

I guess it's just the statistical development...that many fall off and that many take a step up.

As expected .... it gets harder and harder every year. Even for kids that are our son's age.

Alaska should be producing more NHL talent.

From 1986 to 1995 or so, we were producing solid players.

Our "comp" hockey got out of whack, and last 5 years or so we are getting it back into shape.

I've got former players signing NHL contracts, (another this summer and one next summer)....

But I'm measured how many kids end up in the NCAA.

Fact is we are working to get it back on track.

As expected .... it gets harder and harder every year. Even for kids that are our son's age.

Yes, they explained that's how the development is working

This evaluation camp I guess you could see the kids that hit "that" age, 14 year olds who are close to 6' and shaving :)

Well....next year other kids will hit that stage, etc..and other kids fall off etc.

I guess you could see around 25 kids or so that absolutely stood out on another level.

They said there are approx. 40 kids identified who will have a scout or coach at every single tourney they are in next season.

OHL, WHL, and Q represented.

WHL had every team represented there, so it falls into place of them being more open to Americans IMO

It's just surprising to me.. I can't even think of one guy right now outside of Dubinsky. Very Manitoba'ish.

Matt Carle is pretty good, (his younger brothers I thought would be better).

Joey Crabb nice role player

Ty Conklin

Nate Thompson I think is assistant captain in Tampa now.

A few others, typically we produce the same type player, (hard nosed).

Matt Carle is pretty good, (his younger brothers I thought would be better).

Joey Crabb nice role player

Ty Conklin

Nate Thompson I think is assistant captain in Tampa now.

A few others, typically we produce the same type player, (hard nosed).

You better step it up, or I'm not sending you Michael in 3 years.

• 1 month later...
Anybody else have tryouts coming up soon.

Tis the season, from age 6 to age 18 kids are hitting the ice trying to make an impression.

I've got one nervous little 13 year old on the couch next to me today :)

Tryouts over here are in April. They don't give you any time to be nervous. Good luck !!

Tryouts over here are in April. They don't give you any time to be nervous. Good luck !!

I'm not sure how I'd feel about tryouts this close to the beginning of the season or, for that matter, this long after the last season is over. I like having my son get away from hockey for a bit (not totally, but not like in season) and play some other sports (baseball really). I think we would both feel compelled to have him play more during the summer just so he can make the team he wants. I'm sure there are good reasons for a august tryout but I'm glad ours are in April.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about tryouts this close to the beginning of the season or, for that matter, this long after the last season is over. I like having my son get away from hockey for a bit (not totally, but not like in season) and play some other sports (baseball really). I think we would both feel compelled to have him play more during the summer just so he can make the team he wants. I'm sure there are good reasons for a august tryout but I'm glad ours are in April.

The reason is so people don't have time to bounce around and view their options. There is so much competition between club teams, that they can't wait until August. Alaska, Minnesota, etc, do it by district, so they're a lot more limited than we are. Michael plays 2-3 tournaments in the spring, along with 15 practices. Most of his training is private lessons. Goalies are different though. They don't need to be on the ice constantly. I embrace a break, and he travels a lot for baseball. August is relax mode up until training camp starts in late August. He'll get a few lessons, and train a little to stay in shape for camp.

david hasn't skated in over a month. he's in camp in poconos. going to bring him back next weekend and keep him on the ice for 6-8 hours a day until the season starts. if tryouts were today he'd probably not make any team. kids (and parents) need a break from hockey. but I'm starting to miss it and can't wait till the season starts. should be fun now that he's a squirt.

david hasn't skated in over a month. he's in camp in poconos. going to bring him back next weekend and keep him on the ice for 6-8 hours a day until the season starts. if tryouts were today he'd probably not make any team. kids (and parents) need a break from hockey. but I'm starting to miss it and can't wait till the season starts. should be fun now that he's a squirt.

Seems pretty extreme!!

The reason is so people don't have time to bounce around and view their options. There is so much competition between club teams, that they can't wait until August. Alaska, Minnesota, etc, do it by district, so they're a lot more limited than we are. Michael plays 2-3 tournaments in the spring, along with 15 practices. Most of his training is private lessons. Goalies are different though. They don't need to be on the ice constantly. I embrace a break, and he travels a lot for baseball. August is relax mode up until training camp starts in late August. He'll get a few lessons, and train a little to stay in shape for camp.

Yes, a little different here for us.

Tryouts this week for Bantams encompassed all players in northern 1/2 of Alaska. This is the first year when shit gets real for us.

Two birth years combined, (my son being the youngest on ice).

10 returners so knew it was going to be slim to none chance. 8 kids at tryouts were invited to USA national camp this summer, etc etc.

My son sucks at hockey.........but somehow was probably hardest worker all week.

Didn't make cut, but was invited to skate with team in every practice, (only player asked). So, going to go over pro's and con's with son this morning. :)

Would be a ton of quality ice this winter, (4 full ice practices each week), and amazing coaching.

Can't hurt to be amongst that level of talent

Yes, a little different here for us.

Tryouts this week for Bantams encompassed all players in northern 1/2 of Alaska. This is the first year when shit gets real for us.

Two birth years combined, (my son being the youngest on ice).

10 returners so knew it was going to be slim to none chance. 8 kids at tryouts were invited to USA national camp this summer, etc etc.

My son sucks at hockey.........but somehow was probably hardest worker all week.

Didn't make cut, but was invited to skate with team in every practice, (only player asked). So, going to go over pro's and con's with son this morning. :)

Would be a ton of quality ice this winter, (4 full ice practices each week), and amazing coaching.

Can't hurt to be amongst that level of talent

Similar move that Michael made for next season, as we discussed a few months ago.

Holy shit, I'm bored. Optional tune up camp next week. Training camp the week after. Let the season begin !!!!!

Still haven't decided what we are going to do.

Skating with this team 5 nights a week would be outstanding in regards to development.

First tryout he reminded me of a blind man driving a go cart in the middle of a Nascar race....by last tryout he looked pretty damn good.

But the idea of skating 5 nights a week with a team that you aren't "on" doesn't sit right with me. I still think that privilege should be earned.

I gave him little to no chance of making this team, but when he drops down on Tier (tryouts next week), I would rank him fairly high on depth.

So If he makes that team, he would be committed to skating 3-4 times per week with them, just not near the pace nor near the coaching of other ice.

I'm torn.

Still haven't decided what we are going to do.

Skating with this team 5 nights a week would be outstanding in regards to development.

First tryout he reminded me of a blind man driving a go cart in the middle of a Nascar race....by last tryout he looked pretty damn good.

But the idea of skating 5 nights a week with a team that you aren't "on" doesn't sit right with me. I still think that privilege should be earned.

I gave him little to no chance of making this team, but when he drops down on Tier (tryouts next week), I would rank him fairly high on depth.

So If he makes that team, he would be committed to skating 3-4 times per week with them, just not near the pace nor near the coaching of other ice.

I'm torn.

But didn't he "earn" that right with a good tryout, or is it being done as a favor for you?

But didn't he "earn" that right with a good tryout, or is it being done as a favor for you?

BINGO!!!!

I've spoken to 3-4 people on this subject, who know the situation, know the coaches, etc....all thought would be great opportunity for my son.

That being said, I've never heard of a coach adding a 7th defenseman for practices simply to develop them for next season. (I would never do it).

Amazing coaching staff, but at one time or another I've had 3 of 4 as asst coaches in the past or coached them directly.

They will loose one defenseman in October to varsity High School who returns at end of season for State/National tourney.

So they are looking at filling that 6th spot for practices.

Son had a hell of a tryout, hardest worker out there, and this coming from a dad who doesn't think much of his son's hockey skills.

But some lightbulb got turned on this summer in regards to training etc.

I'm leaning more towards the life lesson here, and that is you earn a spot on the team. And simply work harder next year.

Makes me wonder if they feel obligated to do this.

I was up front before tryouts, the head coach calls me weekly to discuss hockey in general.

Going over potential roster I said my son along with 5 others (equal) will all be fighting for 6th spot.

I gave my son 10% chance to make team.

The head coach actually called and we had 2 hour discussion about last 3 spots on team. When I asked what asst coached thought he mentioned he hadn't called them yet.

I gave input on last two forwards taken, and also last defenseman (not my son). I think the 6th defenseman taken came into tryouts out of shape, hadn't skated in months, but had more potential to improve.

Where as my son had been skating a ton, and was already in shape.