• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Youth/Minor/Development Hockey

Puck Head

Welp, first practice of the year and wife is already in tears, screaming at me over the phone. These are 5 year olds.

Makes it easy to remember why I can't give a shit about hockey anymore.

My wife comes to games only when Michael is playing. She's never at a practice. Outside of being friends with some of the moms, she doesn't get involved. == Success.

My wife comes to games only when Michael is playing. She's never at a practice. Outside of being friends with some of the moms, she doesn't get involved. == Success.

Son's mother watches hockey with the same intensity as I would watch mathematic competitions.

She supports, but really has no zest at all for the game.

Oh the way they are splitting the teams up just isn't fair ya know. He's not holding his stick right. He's not skating right. He's skating to good for his group should be in other group. He should be with his friends. He should be in the right group for his skills. Tbe other moms are bitches.

If I was there I would have slapped her I swear to god.

Oh the way they are splitting the teams up just isn't fair ya know. He's not holding his stick right. He's not skating right. He's skating to good for his group should be in other group. He should be with his friends. He should be in the right group for his skills. Tbe other moms are bitches.

If I was there I would have slapped her I swear to god.

Dunny Rice

• 2 weeks later...

What age is squirt?

My son is 5 and now on the ice 3 times a week plus the odd away game, so will likely be 4 tines a week by November. Believe it or not, he has an relatively tame schedule compared to other kids his age here. Wonder why they get burned out?

What age is squirt?

My son is 5 and now on the ice 3 times a week plus the odd away game, so will likely be 4 tines a week by November. Believe it or not, he has an relatively tame schedule compared to other kids his age here. Wonder why they get burned out?

In my opinion, age 5-6 should be only skating twice a week.

And one of those skates should simply be small area scrimmaging, (we used soccer balls etc also that day).

Dunny, our USA hockey breakdown of ages

Mites- 8 and under

Squirt- 10 and under

Pee Wee- 12 and under

Bantam- 14 and under

Midget- U16

Midget- U18

Ages 4 through 7 can be mixed and matched depending on the youth hockey program.

They have simply development stuff, and some organizations even field "comp" travel teams in that age group. (they are going straight from mites to NHL you know)

In my opinion, age 5-6 should be only skating twice a week.

And one of those skates should simply be small area scrimmaging, (we used soccer balls etc also that day).

Dunny, our USA hockey breakdown of ages

Mites- 8 and under

Squirt- 10 and under

Pee Wee- 12 and under

Bantam- 14 and under

Midget- U16

Midget- U18

Ages 4 through 7 can be mixed and matched depending on the youth hockey program.

They have simply development stuff, and some organizations even field "comp" travel teams in that age group. (they are going straight from mites to NHL you know)

Some areas have Atoms 6U. All small area games

• 4 weeks later...

So how are the kids doing?

We just had a major happening, due to a numbers issue they pulled 5 or 6 kids up to Tyke, and despite the political horseshit that goes in to such a decision, I was initially miffed my son didn't get the call, or butthurt you might say, but after talking to some in the know I'm pretty sure they made the right call. A couple weaker kids went up but it only made sense due to logistical nightmares (twins, coaches kids etc etc). My wife, in pure Canadian hockeymom style wants to see blood and heads role, but she's obviously insane. But now he's far and away the strongest skater on the ice out of about 30 kids, and he loves it.

My kid can't shoot or stickhandle but it's not his fault as I rarely even let him use a stick at this point and I refuse to get him one with a curve of any kind. My strategy so far has been to focus 95% of his efforts on skating. So I guess my question to anyone with some coaching experience or knowledge is what the fuck kind of drills should I be doing at his age to get him handling the puck? I was a goalie, and I would really really really like him to avoid that awful existence.

It's honestly best to be a goalie on a shittier team. I played on some shitastic teams and 50-60 shots in a game is about as much fun as you can have as a goalie.

We've had our share of shitastic teams. We're good, just not as good as last year. 50-60 sog come in middle school leagues, and spring hockey teams that aren't constructed with mercs.