• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Youth/Minor/Development Hockey

Puck Head

Aren't 05's mites?

Yes, but they played up to circumvent the ADM. Then they join a tournament for 05's which is completely within the rules, but come on man .... know your competition. We're an AA team, and played in 4 AAA tournaments this year:

2nd out of 8 in the Philly Super Series

7th out of 26 (gold bracket) in Rochester American Invitational with an OT quarterfinal loss

2nd out of 8 in Boston EHF President's Day Tourny

1st out of 8 at the Spring Screamer at Ice House

So if we entered a weak AA / Strong A tourny, that would be ridiculous. Which is what that 05 team did in Simon's division.

We let our Mites play a couple of full ice scrimmages towards the end of the year.

But keep them away from full ice games.

30% of your time is wasted in teaching tactics on faceoffs, line changes, off sides, etc rather then development.

I totally agree but here parents want to see "real" hockey. Full ice. Coaches as we'll.

Yes, but they played up to circumvent the ADM. Then they join a tournament for 05's which is completely within the rules, but come on man .... know your competition. We're an AA team, and played in 4 AAA tournaments this year:

7th out of 26 (gold bracket) in Rochester American Invitational with an OT quarterfinal loss

So if we entered a weak AA / Strong A tourny, that would be ridiculous. Which is what that 05 team did in Simon's division.

We were at the boston tourney as we'll. I don't know why our manager registered us for the elite AAA tourney. Prolly because it was only one of the few full ice tourney's for mites. Obviously, we got blown out every game. Glad u guys came out second there but don't understand why u almost lost to our A team last weekend

We were at the boston tourney as we'll. I don't know why our manager registered us for the elite AAA tourney. Prolly because it was only one of the few full ice tourney's for mites. Obviously, we got blown out every game. Glad u guys came out second there but don't understand why u almost lost to our A team last weekend

Not to make excuses, because there shouldn't be, but we were missing 2 regular dman for that game. Also, when we get up 2-0, we don't have the killer instinct. They've been a 3rd period team all year, but against stronger competition we would have lost that game. It was 2-0 after 1, and they got cocky. And an idiot parent tells his kid that the Aviator lost 8-0 to the Vipers. We just beat the Vipers 9-2, so they thought they were going to win by 15 goals.

Replace coaches

Educate parents :)

Forget it bro ... lost cause here. And I would say most coaches don't want full ice. Maybe in some orgs, but not the majority. Majority of parents, yes. Not coaches. Parents pay all that money, travel, etc ... and there's no score kept, no standings, no playoffs, etc .. That's their line of thinking. Of course 98% of them can't even skate, but they know what's best.

From all of this it just sounds like some good ole fashion structure is needed. It's just seems like such a hodgepodge of singular organizations with seemingly no umbrella parent to operate under.

There's so many orgs, and so much competition, that they all cater to whatever the parents want.

This is on New York or New Jersey?

There's no "New York Minor Hockey Association" or something like that?

Nah, it's the tri state area, plus PA. The NJYHL is tier 2, the AYHL is tier 1. Those are the 2 big ones. Orgs have a million teams in both leagues. Some orgs don't have AAA charters, some play in the EHF (Mass). There's the GSYHL (Garden St. Youth Hockey League), but they're benders for the most part. Some orgs have teams in all 3 leagues if they feel one of their teams would be better off as far as competition, travel, etc .. Google AYHL, and NJYHL, and look at all of the teams. There's a ton. It's all about the money here, so you can't compare it to Canada, or Alaska. Parents get pissed, they leave. There's plenty of orgs in proximity to each other, and depending where you live it might not be that much worse of a commute.

Yeah' date=' I don't think something like that could be compared to the OMHA. Sounds like a GTHL kinda deal :)[/quote']

USA hockey

Pacific district

ASHA (Alaska State Hockey Association)

Pretty structured here. All decisions are made at the state level, each town or local teams have representation works out pretty well.

Case in point, no players in development do anything but 1/2 ice (not quite cross ice but close). Once that mandate was handed down everyone fell in line. That way you don't have some team trying to put together some mite super team.

We are lucky here, we don't have I travel. We have around 100 developmental kids, and around 90 mites. So no need to spend money.

Rest of state is within hour of anchorage, so no mess for them to travel either (5x the numbers).

My kid just turned 5 and they've had 3 tournaments. It's fucking retarded. He has more fun at practice or when we're outside on a rink playing freeze tag. He hates the games.

Parents just as dumb here. One dad already pointed out to me how my son is falling behind because he missed 6 weeks over Christmas/New Years. He was a house-leaguer that watched me play rep my whole life. He loves the revenge now. Or he wants to fuck my wife. Or both.

I like the coaches personally. They were very good players and I consider them friends but it's becoming obvious they have an agenda.

Next year if he says he doesn't want to play I wouldn't be heart broken.

Also, my hometown is about as good a hockey town as Little Rock. We've never produced an NHL'er and our hayday as a junior powerhouse is 20 years in the rearview mirror. Our town of 7500 was downgraded 4 years ago to a "CC" center playing other towns with a population of 2500-4000. We're a baseball town, always have been, always will be.

My kid just turned 5 and they've had 3 tournaments. It's fucking retarded. He has more fun at practice or when we're outside on a rink playing freeze tag. He hates the games.

Parents just as dumb here. One dad already pointed out to me how my son is falling behind because he missed 6 weeks over Christmas/New Years. He was a house-leaguer that watched me play rep my whole life. He loves the revenge now. Or he wants to fuck my wife. Or both.

I like the coaches personally. They were very good players and I consider them friends but it's becoming obvious they have an agenda.

Next year if he says he doesn't want to play I wouldn't be heart broken.

Also, my hometown is about as good a hockey town as Little Rock. We've never produced an NHL'er and our hayday as a junior powerhouse is 20 years in the rearview mirror. Our town of 7500 was downgraded 4 years ago to a "CC" center playing other towns with a population of 2500-4000. We're a baseball town, always have been, always will be.

What revenge? They're fuckin 5. People are so fuckin stupid. Call me when they hit bantams. I love the parents in squirt and pw, that like to alienate kids from their super team, when their kid weighs 60 lbs. Some are 1 season away from checking, so mommy better start stuffing some fuckin cheeseburgers down their throats, or their little all stars won't be on the list in the hallway in 2 years. Fuckin idiots.

My kid just turned 5 and they've had 3 tournaments. It's fucking retarded. He has more fun at practice or when we're outside on a rink playing freeze tag. He hates the games. Parents just as dumb here. One dad already pointed out to me how my son is falling behind because he missed 6 weeks over Christmas/New Years. He was a house-leaguer that watched me play rep my whole life. He loves the revenge now. Or he wants to fuck my wife. Or both. I like the coaches personally. They were very good players and I consider them friends but it's becoming obvious they have an agenda. Next year if he says he doesn't want to play I wouldn't be heart broken.

And THIS is what I'm talking about.

5 year kids should be having a blast at practice.

Playing games, some structure but not much.

They are on their edges and hockey becomes fun.

Let coaches like me ruin it for them later, but at that age it should be all about the fun factor.

6 weeks?? Lol...like that matters at the age of 5.

I've had players sign NHL contracts, but only one who stepped on the ice...and he didnt start skating till the age of 11. The only thing that matters to a 5 year old is if he enjoys the time on the ice

What revenge? They're fuckin 5. People are so fuckin stupid. Call me when they hit bantams. I love the parents in squirt and pw' date=' that like to alienate kids from their super team, when their kid weighs 60 lbs. Some are 1 season away from checking, so mommy better start stuffing some fuckin cheeseburgers down their throats, or their little all stars won't be on the list in the hallway in 2 years. Fuckin idiots.[/quote']

Spot on mike

Be always said (and on here a few times)...is pretty much everything is warm up till bantams. Once kids hit puberty you start to get a clue as to who has something.

Typically the tiny kids year it up in mites, and squirts. Sometimes pee Wees. They learn their edges quicker and easier time with agility.

Bit after that size and strength come into play.

Already seeing it with our team.

Spot on mike

Be always said (and on here a few times)...is pretty much everything is warm up till bantams. Once kids hit puberty you start to get a clue as to who has something.

Typically the tiny kids year it up in mites, and squirts. Sometimes pee Wees. They learn their edges quicker and easier time with agility.

Bit after that size and strength come into play.

Already seeing it with our team.

Can't teach size, but you can teach the big kids how to use it as opposed to teaching a kid that's 4'6 how to play at 5+. More often than not, the little guys get frustrated. There comes a time when everyone is around the same speed. Of course some will be faster than others, but those that dominate in levels where you can't hit are in for a rude awakening.