• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Youth/Minor/Development Hockey

Puck Head

I agree 100% Mikey...All of those reasons are why I would much rather just be a skills coach and focus on helping people improve their skills instead of just worrying about winning all the time.

It really is ridiculous. Although I must say, the team my son is on this year isn't really geared up like that at all. Maybe it's because we're all 02's playing mostly 01's, and we're in every game. If the team plays well, doesn't quit, works hard, and improves every week, that's all you can ask for. Wins and losses mean 0 at this level. Our team is ranked 11th in the country at the 2002, tier 2 level, and nobody on our team flips out over a loss. Ever..... and we're a .500 club at the moment.

That really is the best you can ask for. Some places get it and some don't. If you sacrifice kids' development for the sake of yearly team success, then all you really do is hurt the kids and the organization in the long run. Having kids improve on a regular basis and having fun in the meantime will only make things better for them as they progress, and will also lead to fruitful assets when the time for serious competition in their later years comes into play.

Even in my experiences, I still have difficult parents, but most of the time it is from people who know the game from a long time ago and aren't familiar with the way they are now. With players is mostly has to do with shot mechanics, but with goalies there is the "my dad played goalie in the 80's and he says I should do this instead of what you say" dynamic that comes and goes.

That really is the best you can ask for. Some places get it and some don't. If you sacrifice kids' development for the sake of yearly team success, then all you really do is hurt the kids and the organization in the long run. Having kids improve on a regular basis and having fun in the meantime will only make things better for them as they progress, and will also lead to fruitful assets when the time for serious competition in their later years comes into play.

Even in my experiences, I still have difficult parents, but most of the time it is from people who know the game from a long time ago and aren't familiar with the way they are now. With players is mostly has to do with shot mechanics, but with goalies there is the "my dad played goalie in the 80's and he says I should do this instead of what you say" dynamic that comes and goes.

Yeah, we don't have that problem. lol. I leave it up to his goalie coach. He'll ask me about some things that I've been noticing in his play, and they'll figure it out from there. If it's nothing glaring, they just do their thing.

Good post.

I guess we are lucky in that we are the only "comp" (what ever that means) organization within a 400 mile radius.

We pretty much line out player development vs team success.

We are all about player development, and in fact dropped our Tier 1 status down to Tier 2 and stopped playing anyone outside our state until we hit Bantams.

It's around Bantam that we start working in team tactical philosophy etc.

Up until then we keep our practice to game ratio around 3:1, and really concentrate on individual skill acquisition, work ethic, attitude, etc.

Our Pee Wee's were able to beat Little Ceaser's AAA team in that winter classic.

Just beat Honey Bake AAA 5-2. Kinda skated circles around them and shots were way off.

Tomorrow play Bell Tire.

Not sure what any of this means, but nice to be doing well against top 10 teams in the nation.

Our Pee Wee's were able to beat Little Ceaser's AAA team in that winter classic.

Just beat Honey Bake AAA 5-2. Kinda skated circles around them and shots were way off.

Tomorrow play Bell Tire.

Not sure what any of this means, but nice to be doing well against top 10 teams in the nation.

Dude, those 3 teams are in the top 5 at every fuckin age level in the nation. That's fanfuckintastic.

Dude, those 3 teams are in the top 5 at every fuckin age level in the nation. That's fanfuckintastic.

We can outskate these teams.........have zero hockey IQ or game experience in comparison though.

And just like all Alaskan kids, no finish.

Example:

60 shots on net

27 on net (usually center mass of goaltender)

2 go in

Typical Alaskan game.

Your son would DOMINATE up here!

We can outskate these teams.........have zero hockey IQ or game experience in comparison though.

And just like all Alaskan kids, no finish.

Example:

60 shots on net

27 on net (usually center mass of goaltender)

2 go in

Typical Alaskan game.

Your son would DOMINATE up here!

Hahahaha ... you want him? He's definitely not afraid to move away. This maniac thinks he's going to juniors in Canada already.

Hahahaha ... you want him? He's definitely not afraid to move away. This maniac thinks he's going to juniors in Canada already.

We do a pretty good job up until Bantam.

Then we slack a little in the Bantam AAA dept and the U16 AAA dept, (have to move 400 miles south).

But our Jr. A team picks up a lot of local kids at age 16 or 17. And have been producing 5-8 NCAA players per year, (one of top teams in America doing that).

On a serious note, when and if the time comes...I'm sure your programs have many contacts, but make sure to get ahold of me.

Still connected in the BCHL and WHL

We do a pretty good job up until Bantam.

Then we slack a little in the Bantam AAA dept and the U16 AAA dept, (have to move 400 miles south).

But our Jr. A team picks up a lot of local kids at age 16 or 17. And have been producing 5-8 NCAA players per year, (one of top teams in America doing that).

On a serious note, when and if the time comes...I'm sure your programs have many contacts, but make sure to get ahold of me.

Still connected in the BCHL and WHL

And keep reminding Michael...

GRADES

GRADES

GRADES!!!!!!

Usually the 1st or 2nd question out of coaches mouth's now.

Absolutely x2

Victory Honda? Belle Tire? Never heard of these towns..

Little Ceaser's

Compuware

Belle Tire

Honeybaked

Chicago Mission

Team Illinios

Victory Honda

New Jersey Colonials :)

And out west....

Jr Ducks

Jr Kings

Dallas Stars

Colorado Thunderbirds

Typically top youth teams in Nation

Yeah. I've heard of most of those teams. I was making fun of your corporate connections to youth hockey :)

You would be proud to know we are not corporate sponsored.

The local fire fighters chipped in.

A firewood delivery place

A landscaping guy

"Fast" Eddie's Diner

Our chevron station

A fishing boat

We are WAY fancy :)

Little Ceaser's

Compuware

Belle Tire

Honeybaked

Chicago Mission

Team Illinios

Victory Honda

New Jersey Colonials :)

And out west....

Jr Ducks

Jr Kings

Dallas Stars

Colorado Thunderbirds

Typically top youth teams in Nation

Thanks for the shout out !! You left out the St. Louis Blues. They've become pretty nasty recently.