• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Youth/Minor/Development Hockey

Puck Head

1700 isn't half our cost. We have about the same amount of practices, and we're playing 55-60 games. Also, ice time is more expensive here than areas where rinks are all over the place.

Why in the hell would you guys be playing 55-60 games at the age of 10/11????????????????????

1700 isn't half our cost. We have about the same amount of practices, and we're playing 55-60 games. Also, ice time is more expensive here than areas where rinks are all over the place.

If you guys are under or around 4k, then that isn't bad.

Last year the team I took over was 1400-1700...

The year before it was over 6k per kid.

3700. It's between 55-60 practices, and 55-60 games.

3700 isn't bad.

Has the coach explained why he's playing so many games??

USA Hockey 2.5:1 ratio of practice to games

Canadian Minor 3:1 ratio of practice to games

Euorpeans even have more training/practice per ratio of games.

You guys are almost running 1:1 ratio

Candadian Minor Hockey released a publication and video, (Paul Karia narrated)...

Studies are showing at the 9-12 year old age....it takes up to 9 games to receive the skill aquisition of one quality practice.

3700 isn't bad.

Has the coach explained why he's playing so many games??

USA Hockey 2.5:1 ratio of practice to games

Canadian Minor 3:1 ratio of practice to games

Euorpeans even have more training/practice per ratio of games.

You guys are almost running 1:1 ratio

Candadian Minor Hockey released a publication and video, (Paul Karia narrated)...

Studies are showing at the 9-12 year old age....it takes up to 9 games to receive the skill aquisition of one quality practice.

20 league games, 25-30 NL, the rest in 3 tournaments. All the teams around here play between 45-60 games, even at squirt.

20 league games, 25-30 NL, the rest in 3 tournaments. All the teams around here play between 45-60 games, even at squirt.

That makes no sense at all.

And I just checked, European's are implementing a 5:1 practice to game ratio.

What's funny is "we" think that 3:1 isn't enough...that we should change it to 4:1.

That makes no sense at all.

And I just checked, European's are implementing a 5:1 practice to game ratio.

What's funny is "we" think that 3:1 isn't enough...that we should change it to 4:1.

Tbh, coaching is watered down here. I'm not sure all of the kids would get the same thing out of it. Our coach is excellent. Great with the kids, played juniors in Canada, etc .... He's just following a schedule, it's not really up to him entirely.

Tbh, coaching is watered down here. I'm not sure all of the kids would get the same thing out of it. Our coach is excellent. Great with the kids, played juniors in Canada, etc .... He's just following a schedule, it's not really up to him entirely.

I see.

We've been monitoring it pretty closely here, (coaches can get out of hand).

They know that there "team" could be better by playing more games, (possibly).

So they try and get in as many games as they can.

Where in reality our focus is on player development...and we go back to that 2:1 or 3:1 practice to game ratio.

Dryland skills (we do a few hours a week)....can help with that ratio IMO.

ESPECIALLY for goaltenders. Mikey probably faces 200-500 shots per practice...and 1/10th of that per game.

See what I mean?

Absolutely. And I agree with you. That's just the way it is here. You have to do extra shit with your kid for development. There's too many teams here, and not enough ice for everyone. Our organization has over 30 teams, see what I'm saying? I have him on the ice every day this week. One of his teammates gets trained at a facility with a 1/2 rink on Mondays. One of his old teammates trains with a kid who is arguably the best 02 in the state on Fridays, so rather shooting into an empty net, or through tires, Michael goes and works out with them for free. He had a lesson tonight, practice Wed, and Thursday. Fuck it, I'm gonna make him work his balls off until Thanksgiving.

I used to love those things. Not sure if my parents still have them.

Also had a few from tryouts. Not sure how those were acquired, but 2 consecutive times I blew away everyone in the timed skating drills.

For awhile, the rents kept everything. Looking back at old score sheets and tournament programs rule.

Nail on head. I love the place, but the locker rooms are ass. The visitor locker rooms should be illegal.

I go there every now and then to watch games. Going on Nov. 8 to see Princeton vs. Yale.

Great camp though. Really well put together.

Visitor room is a jail bullpen with a rubber floor.