• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Youth/Minor/Development Hockey

Puck Head

Nice,

Looks like....

Team Comcast

Philadephia jr Flyers

New York Jr Islanders

Rhode Island Saints

Central CT Yankees

Flyers and Comcast are legit AAA teams.

Not sure about the other 3, don't think i've ever heard of them

CT Yankees merged with MidFairfield Blues. Pierre McGuire's kid is on the team, and Tonelli used to coach, but he went to another team.

RI are legit, and the NY Jr. Islanders are formally Suffolk PAL ... they're meh.

Yes. They might be Tier 2. You can be AAA in Tier 2. I don't know how that works, do you?

I have no idea how it works anymore!

Back before, you had...

A Teams

B Teams

Which became...

AAA Teams

AA Teams

Which became...

Tier 1 Teams

Tier 2 Teams

Or also...

Major Teams

Minor Teams

Then teams starting identifying per birth year, (we use to never care about that, you were either Squirt, Pee Wee, or Bantam).

Officially per USA hockey, there are no birth year Tier's.

Simply....

Pee Wee Tier 1

Pee Wee Tier 2 1A

Pee Wee Tier 2 2A

Pee Wee tier 2 3A

Bantam Tier 1

Bantam Tier 2 1A

Bantam Tier 2 2A

Bantam Tier 2 3A

etc, etc, etc

I have no idea how it works anymore!

Back before, you had...

A Teams

B Teams

Which became...

AAA Teams

AA Teams

Which became...

Tier 1 Teams

Tier 2 Teams

Or also...

Major Teams

Minor Teams

Then teams starting identifying per birth year, (we use to never care about that, you were either Squirt, Pee Wee, or Bantam).

Yes sir. I think it's all on what you declare. Plus now there's independent teams, and they can do whatever they want.

What's a independent team?

A group of parents that were unhappy with their organization for whatever reason, join forces and make a team. They're not in any league, but they play a slew of games and tournaments. Mark Howe's son coaches one of them. We played his team, we lost 7-3, but it was the 2nd game of our season and their 20th, and we had about 11 penalties. We were winning early, and tied at 3 at one point. Then the ref saw some of our kids without the mouth pieces in, and handed out penalties like Halloween candy.

A group of parents that were unhappy with their organization for whatever reason, join forces and make a team. They're not in any league, but they play a slew of games and tournaments. Mark Howe's son coaches one of them. We played his team, we lost 7-3, but it was the 2nd game of our season and their 20th, and we had about 11 penalties. We were winning early, and tied at 3 at one point. Then the ref saw some of our kids without the mouth pieces in, and handed out penalties like Halloween candy.

They are still affiliated with USA hockey though i'm guessing.

Brooklynboy89...

How old is your kid that's playing?

And where abouts does he play?

Sorry, just saw this Puck..

I am an Asst. Coach, my Dad is the HC. We coach the 16 and Under Jr. Flyers American team. It's Tier 1. Most of our kids are 15 year olds. The Jr. Flyers National team is mostly 16 year olds. We play out of Ice Line in Paoli. 4 Rinks, it's a really nice facility. Lots of larger tournaments, such as Silver Sticks Regionals are held there.

I'm still young as far as the coaches in the building go (24)... Hopefully will be able to have my own team in a few years. Right now it's just fun learning the ropes from Pops. Try to make as many games as possible, it's tough since I Bartend most weekends and we play a lot of tournaments far away.

As for the teams, you guessed right. Dallas are the Stars Elite and Colorado Thunderbirds. Played them both a few weeks ago in Detroit. Lost to Dallas, beat Colorado.

Sorry, just saw this Puck..

I am an Asst. Coach, my Dad is the HC. We coach the 16 and Under Jr. Flyers American team. It's Tier 1. Most of our kids are 15 year olds. The Jr. Flyers National team is mostly 16 year olds. We play out of Ice Line in Paoli. 4 Rinks, it's a really nice facility. Lots of larger tournaments, such as Silver Sticks Regionals are held there.

I'm still young as far as the coaches in the building go (24)... Hopefully will be able to have my own team in a few years. Right now it's just fun learning the ropes from Pops. Try to make as many games as possible, it's tough since I Bartend most weekends and we play a lot of tournaments far away.

As for the teams, you guessed right. Dallas are the Stars Elite and Colorado Thunderbirds. Played them both a few weeks ago in Detroit. Lost to Dallas, beat Colorado.

You guys have a very good club.

And that's GREAT you are getting to learn the ropes through your dad. Just keep learning, and learning, and learning from any coach you can.

At that age (24), I had just started to get into coaching, and I picked the brains of every NCAA or Jr. coach I could. I read, and studied anything that was out there, (before the internet).

And just when you think you know what you are doing....go back and start coaching Squirts.....

Cause that's where the REAL coaching begins :)

Your whole Minor Hockey system is fucked. Looks like the GTHL on crack. Ha.

We got kinda crazy there for a while, but it's getting better.

Now starting to concentrate on proper development more then winning games at the mite, squirt, pee wee level.

That's why USA hockey pulled national tourney's until you hit the age of 13/14 (Bantam).

I've been around a lot of Canadian hockey through the years, and the BEST thing they do at the minor level is this...

They don't "pick" comp teams at young ages. They develop everyone...and when the kids hit 13 or so they natually allow the cream to rise to the top.

You get a much better well rounded athlete up there.

Here in the states there are places that pick "comp" teams at the age of 7-8....it's a joke.

We went 1-1.. Lead 3-1 going into the 3rd against Milwaukee, lost 6-4 (Played our backup). Played Dallas last night, who beat us the first time, we won 1-0. It is really a tough situation having 5 games in a weekend and 2 goalies who are very different. Team is so confident in one, and not in the other. Dad said the heads just dropped when the Milwaukee team started scoring in the 3rd. Always tough when the team doesn't have confidence in one goalie, kids start to worry more about every shot against, and play differently.

Won both games today. Locked in 2nd no matter what. Play Comcast twice tomorrow. They're the 1 seed, but if we win in the morning, we'll be the 1 seed.

In the night game, we're up 3-1. 10 seconds left, face off in our zone. We win the draw and send it out. With 1.7 seconds left, the fat coach's big fat son runs our player. Screaming, yelling. Guy is screaming at our fans. I told him to go fuck himself. They walk off the ice, no handshake. Fuckin disgrace.

Won both games today. Locked in 2nd no matter what. Play Comcast twice tomorrow. They're the 1 seed, but if we win in the morning, we'll be the 1 seed.

In the night game, we're up 3-1. 10 seconds left, face off in our zone. We win the draw and send it out. With 1.7 seconds left, the fat coach's big fat son runs our player. Screaming, yelling. Guy is screaming at our fans. I told him to go fuck himself. They walk off the ice, no handshake. Fuckin disgrace.

Don't lower yourself to other people's level ;)

Our kids were skated and yelled at for two hours today.

Then 45 minutes of running :)