• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Youth/Minor/Development Hockey

Puck Head

Well Momma Bear said no go on the neck guard again this morning, but more importantly he's out skating his older team mates today. Fuck, I'm obsessed with development already.

Try the shirt with it built in. It's much more comfortable than wrapping a sock around your neck. Take some video. I wanna see the little guy fly. I never really got to enjoy watching Michael's skating develop.

So .... How is everyone's season going? They played 4 NL games so far, and they're 2-2. Kids are still feeling each other out. They look solid so far. 1st league game is next weekend.

Our guys just finished their 4th Non-League game (is that the NL you referenced?). We won three and tied one. Good start to the season for the team and for my son. He is playing a real strong two-way game and is hustling his butt off. He also picked up the offsides rule quickly.

So .... How is everyone's season going? They played 4 NL games so far, and they're 2-2. Kids are still feeling each other out. They look solid so far. 1st league game is next weekend.

We are 1-0-1 in League play.. 3-2 in the Elite League. Played some good teams from Colorado and Dallas in the Elite League. In League play we beat the 1st Place Ct. Wolfpack 10-1 tonight. Pretty happy with the scoring outburst, play them again tomorrow morning. Again, this is Jr. Flyers 16U American. First year that the American teams have an Elite League. A lot of fun last week in Detroit.

Our guys just finished their 4th Non-League game (is that the NL you referenced?). We won three and tied one. Good start to the season for the team and for my son. He is playing a real strong two-way game and is hustling his butt off. He also picked up the offsides rule quickly.

Yes, NL = non league. Who is he playing for? We won today 3-0, 15 save shut out. A few tough stops, but we dominated most of the game. Another game tomorrow, and then our first league game is next weekend.

We are 1-0-1 in League play.. 3-2 in the Elite League. Played some good teams from Colorado and Dallas in the Elite League. In League play we beat the 1st Place Ct. Wolfpack 10-1 tonight. Pretty happy with the scoring outburst, play them again tomorrow morning. Again, this is Jr. Flyers 16U American. First year that the American teams have an Elite League. A lot of fun last week in Detroit.

Let me know when you play at Mennen. Maybe we'll be there around the same time. We're going to the super series in Pennsauken in 2 weeks.

Yes, NL = non league. Who is he playing for? We won today 3-0, 15 save shut out. A few tough stops, but we dominated most of the game. Another game tomorrow, and then our first league game is next weekend.

NJ Stars out of ProSkate Squirt B. He is playing up as a 2005 birth year. As a side note, the Squirt A coach is Sergei Starikov. He runs the Monday skills practice for all the squirts. He was a former Olympian from the Russian teams in the 80's. He won the silver during 1980 then golds in 84 and 88. He also played for the Devils when the first Russians started coming over. He seems like a good guy and the kids respond well to him when they can understand what he's saying...

NJ Stars out of ProSkate Squirt B. He is playing up as a 2005 birth year. As a side note, the Squirt A coach is Sergei Starikov. He runs the Monday skills practice for all the squirts. He was a former Olympian from the Russian teams in the 80's. He won the silver during 1980 then golds in 84 and 88. He also played for the Devils when the first Russians started coming over. He seems like a good guy and the kids respond well to him when they can understand what he's saying...

Know the organization well. Played 3 on 3's there with Boris' kids. Played against them in tourneys in the summer. We played them in our first nl game, lost 4-2, with an EN. We dominated them all game, they got 2 lucky goals and we hit 5 posts and scored after the buzzer in the 1st.

Hearing that starting in 2014/2015

All 9 and under players will do cross ice.

NO full ice allowed.....USA hockey mandate.

I thought it was mandatory 3 years ago? So they're prohibited from playing up? Michael's team did it. They were 2nd year mites in the 1st year it was implemented, and they played up as squirts.

I thought it was mandatory 3 years ago? So they're prohibited from playing up? Michael's team did it. They were 2nd year mites in the 1st year it was implemented, and they played up as squirts.

It was part of the ADM before, but now they are going to really mandate it.

Plenty of organizations were doing what you guys did, so they are going to put the hammer down.

One thing I was told, "the cream will eventually rise to the top, but at that age we want to build the foundation"

Makes sense, and something we have been struggling with to get done.

We have 3 tiers of Mites, (from brand new skaters, to kids in their 4th year).

I already had to give the highest tier coaches a "what for" in regards to this.

Our state association has really cracked down on any player "playing up" into a new league.

They don't have to stick with birthyear, but pretty much have to stay within league, (squirt, pee wee, bantam, etc).

And no matter what, NO player can move into Bantams, (full checking) until they are of that age.

Our kids have more fun at that age on 1/2 ice

I'm guessing coaches didnt know the program

And ya, understand your situation

I never saw the practices, I was talking about the games. It just didn't have the feel of a hockey game.

I never saw the practices, I was talking about the games. It just didn't have the feel of a hockey game.

But at that age is has nothing to do with the "games".

Put the kids on 1/2 ice, 3 on 3 or 4 on 4, and they will have a TON more fun then 5 on 5 full ice.

I don't even want to get into the developmental reasons behind cross ice, I could go on forever.

But at that age is has nothing to do with the "games".

Put the kids on 1/2 ice, 3 on 3 or 4 on 4, and they will have a TON more fun then 5 on 5 full ice.

I don't even want to get into the developmental reasons behind cross ice, I could go on forever.

I agree with it, I'm just going by what I saw during the games

While everyone else in our division has at least 1 league game under their belt, we have our first 2 this weekend. I can't wait to see how this team of 02 kids handle the season while playing against teams that are a 1+ years older than them. There are 10 teams in the North (us), and 9 teams in the south. The top 2 from each division make the playoffs. I think they'll be battling for a spot. I predict they finish in the top 4 in the North. 3rd and 4th isn't a playoff spot, but it will be an impressive finish considering the opponents.