• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Youth/Minor/Development Hockey

Puck Head

Try being the parent of the kid that's constantly out there on an island. Who do you notice the most during a drill with 50 kids on the ice? The fuckin goalie.

There were only 4 goaltenders trying out for Major team, and during the scrimmages, (last 3 days)...

If they got scored on they get pulled.

I'll give my kid this....each time the tender came to the bench, he walked down, patted them on the back and said something.

Really could care less about hockey when compared to that type of stuff.

• Like 1

There were only 4 goaltenders trying out for Major team, and during the scrimmages, (last 3 days)...

If they got scored on they get pulled.

I'll give my kid this....each time the tender came to the bench, he walked down, patted them on the back and said something.

Really could care less about hockey when compared to that type of stuff.

This, 10 fold. Can I rep Dylan?

1- I wouldn't last 10 minutes as the parent of a goaltender. My son did it in soccer, (just rec and nobody cares about soccer up here)....and it drove me nuts

2- I tell my son this. Be the hardest working best behaved kid on the ice and you will go far. From what i'm hearing he did that this last week.

This, 10 fold. Can I rep Dylan?

Dylan knows that everytime a goaltender gets scored upon, there are 5 other players to blame first ;)

And he knows that blame does no good so don't bother.

And he's ferocious in protecting his tender in the slot, on the bench, in the locker room, etc.

let me find a great pic for you......

http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p762/storey9911/860625_10200603068388757_1382151869_o_zpsa2e7d747.jpg

Ass to net protecting goaltender

Dylan knows that everytime a goaltender gets scored upon, there are 5 other players to blame first ;)

And he's ferocious in protecting his tender in the slot, on the bench, in the locker room, etc.

And in turn, Michael knows there are 5 other players on the ice trying to prevent the same puck from going in the net that he is. So never blame anyone on the ice when it goes in. The problem is that he blames himself every time. It could be a 3 on 0 with Gretzky, Messier and Kurri, and he thinks it's his fault.

http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p762/storey9911/860625_10200603068388757_1382151869_o_zpsa2e7d747.jpg

Ass to net protecting goaltender

Yeahhhhh baby

Son gets fitted for skates next week. 4 years old. Hopefully the start of some great memories.

If you turn him into a goalie, I have plenty of gear for him, free of charge. This fuckin kid grows like a root. 5 sets in 4 years. Skates and sticks too.

We don't start practicing for another few weeks.

We don't have anything like a training camp

Wow ... our first game is 9/14. They have 3 optional practices this week, and then training camp starts on 9/5. They practice on that Thursday, Friday, a double on Saturday, Sunday, Wednesday, and Thursday

Wow ... our first game is 9/14. They have 3 optional practices this week, and then training camp starts on 9/5. They practice on that Thursday, Friday, a double on Saturday, Sunday, Wednesday, and Thursday

Our games run from end of October through March.

So slowly just now getting into it.

We've never run any kind of "camp" until Bantam AAA.

Typically first 3-4 practices will have a lot of edgework, skating, and very little pucks.

But most of these kids hit the hockey camps and clinics heading into tryouts to get ready. Example, my son got 20 sheets of ice the two weeks heading into tryouts.

Our games run from end of October through March.

So slowly just now getting into it.

We've never run any kind of "camp" until Bantam AAA.

Typically first 3-4 practices will have a lot of edgework, skating, and very little pucks.

But most of these kids hit the hockey camps and clinics heading into tryouts to get ready. Example, my son got 20 sheets of ice the two weeks heading into tryouts.

Yeah, that's been going on here for the last 2 weeks. The season ends in the beginning - mid March, with the playoffs the following week.

That's crazy.

Do they give a reason??

USA hockey may have to step in here nation wide, (it's been discussed), and mandate Fall tryouts rather then spring.

Spring tryouts inhibit player development.

The tryout dates are set by the leagues. Hockey is different here. If they waited until August to host tryouts, there would be mayhem. Kids leave one organization and go somewhere else. They don't want you trying out at place "A", make the team, and then go try out for another team that may be better or offer you more ice time. You must host your Tier 1 tryouts within a set date given from Monday - Friday. Tier 2 is the following week. If you give these kids/parents 5 months to look around for a team, there would be 0 cohesiveness anywhere. It's competitive and there would be offers all over the place to drag you away from the team you played on the year before. A month ago, a coach from another organization offered to buy out Michael's contract with the Colonials to go play for his team. It's fuckin nuts.