• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Youth/Minor/Development Hockey

Puck Head

Win 7-4. Not a word from our parents the entire game, even when we scored. They didn't shut the fuck up the entire game. I expected that from a Staten Island crew, though. Plus, their goalie's shoulders were 4 inches over the crossbar and he was shaving 2 years ago. They also had 3 kids that were taller than Phil. Gotta love spring hockey. It feels great to beat a team that "bends the rules". And the ref gave them 2 mercy goals. As a goalie parent, I must admit that it upsets me a little. You bring older benders, get whipped and are then given charity? Fuck you.

What kind of spring league is this?

Are they playing full ice?

Spring league is a little funky. Technically, you're still what you were the previous fall/winter season, but a lot of kids/teams will play up to what they're going to be in the next season. It would be like your son playing 1st year pee wee right now, rather than playing 2nd year pee wee. The teams that continue to play on the level they were in the fall/winter just want to try to win something.

Spring league is a little funky. Technically, you're still what you were the previous fall/winter season, but a lot of kids/teams will play up to what they're going to be in the next season. It would be like your son playing 1st year pee wee right now, rather than playing 2nd year pee wee. The teams that continue to play on the level they were in the fall/winter just want to try to win something.

We handle spring league completely different, here is an example of how we do our Pee Wee's.

8 Pee Wee teams, 8 players per team, plus one goaltender.

4 on 4 1/2 ice, Tuesday evening and Saturday afternoon.

So 2 hours of ice, 4 teams playing first hour, 4 teams playing second hour.

So each week you get 4 30 minute games.

We randomly select the teams, we try to split them up as evenly as possible.

You might have 2 kids at most that skated together the year before.

Kids get a chance to skate with new kids, coaches get a chance to work with new kids.

Very casual, emphasis on compete, creativity, etc. ZERO systems, etc.

It's pretty close to what the USA hockey development program suggests.

We handle spring league completely different, here is an example of how we do our Pee Wee's.

8 Pee Wee teams, 8 players per team, plus one goaltender.

4 on 4 1/2 ice, Tuesday evening and Saturday afternoon.

So 2 hours of ice, 4 teams playing first hour, 4 teams playing second hour.

So each week you get 4 30 minute games.

We randomly select the teams, we try to split them up as evenly as possible.

You might have 2 kids at most that skated together the year before.

Kids get a chance to skate with new kids, coaches get a chance to work with new kids.

Very casual, emphasis on compete, creativity, etc. ZERO systems, etc.

It's pretty close to what the USA hockey development program suggests.

Your kids are locked into an area. Everyone goes all over the fuckin place around here. Vanderbeek owns the organization Michael plays for in the spring/summer. That's why they play out of AmeriHealth. They're the NJ Rockets in the fall/winter and they're the Rockz in the spring summer. Every organization changes their spring/summer team name and unis. It also gives the kids a chance to get a look at other places, play with other kids, and maybe it's a little more convenient for the parents as well. It depends how crazy you are. The Rockz are good because they have optional practices and you pay as you go. They attend 4 tournys and have great coaches. You pay for the tournys that you can make. It gives the kids that play other sports and the families that take a lot of vacations the opportunity to play without having hockey dominate the spring/summer seasons. The guy who runs it played with Martin St. Louis in college, he comes to the home tourny in August. Good shit.

Still don't understand the summer tourney's.....

Our group just got back from that showcase in Illinois.

6 from my team went.

They played team Wisconsin, team Illinois A and B, (that state had two teams), and some other state.

Most games were one goal games so it gave me a idea of where we stand.

Still don't understand the summer tourney's.....

Our group just got back from that showcase in Illinois.

6 from my team went.

They played team Wisconsin, team Illinois A and B, (that state had two teams), and some other state.

Most games were one goal games so it gave me a idea of where we stand.

It's just a way to play some games once a month. It's very rare that you're upcoming team for the fall/winter season will enter one of these. It's usually the same teams from the spring.

Not to shabby in Illinois. Good for you guys. Those showcases are for 2nd year pee wees and up, right? Michael will get to try out for one of those district teams next year. It should be a good experience but it'll be super tough to make that team. At least 1 goalie spot is locked up by whoever is coaching the team because they'll take one of their kids.

It's just a way to play some games once a month. It's very rare that you're upcoming team for the fall/winter season will enter one of these. It's usually the same teams from the spring.

Not to shabby in Illinois. Good for you guys. Those showcases are for 2nd year pee wees and up, right? Michael will get to try out for one of those district teams next year. It should be a good experience but it'll be super tough to make that team. At least 1 goalie spot is locked up by whoever is coaching the team because they'll take one of their kids.

Yes, 2nd year pee wee and up I believe.

Some states had two teams, most had one.

I highly doubt they are truly the top 16 players in a state, (almost impossible to figure that out).

But at least I know how we stack up against the top players In the nation at least.

My "line" was plus throughout the tourney, so we aren't too far behind.

Yes, 2nd year pee wee and up I believe.

Some states had two teams, most had one.

I highly doubt they are truly the top 16 players in a state, (almost impossible to figure that out).

But at least I know how we stack up against the top players In the nation at least.

My "line" was plus throughout the tourney, so we aren't too far behind.

That's great. I have a feeling we'll be meeting randomly in a few years. By the time they hit 16U and 18U, maybe they'll get a chance to play vs one another !!

That's great. I have a feeling we'll be meeting randomly in a few years. By the time they hit 16U and 18U, maybe they'll get a chance to play vs one another !!

If my son doesn't get it going he won't be trying out for any team next season :)

I hear ya, every parent gets into choke mode for a little while.

He turns 12 this year.

I explained to him after this season, if he wants it....to go get it.

I've been pretty hands off with him, but it's time for him to start putting in the effort if he wants to play hockey on Tier teams.

He turns 12 this year.

I explained to him after this season, if he wants it....to go get it.

I've been pretty hands off with him, but it's time for him to start putting in the effort if he wants to play hockey on Tier teams.

Yeah, 2nd year pee wee into 1st year bantam is a level where they start to separate themselves a little.

Yeah, 2nd year pee wee into 1st year bantam is a level where they start to separate themselves a little.

Yeppers.

They no longer better be playing for mommy and daddy.

And the kids putting in the time away from the rink are the ones who stand out in development.

The other big piece is this.....SIZE and STRENGTH matter.

Up until now it hasn't.....but the bigger kids who were lugs in Mites and Squirts start to separate themselves a bit.

Yeppers.

They no longer better be playing for mommy and daddy.

And the kids putting in the time away from the rink are the ones who stand out in development.

The other big piece is this.....SIZE and STRENGTH matter.

Up until now it hasn't.....but the bigger kids who were lugs in Mites and Squirts start to separate themselves a bit.

When they start hitting at Bantams, that changes everything. Michael is a big, strong kid for his age and he likes to do dry land. He's in the cross fit program. His conditioning and strength are going to be awesome. It's going to help in baseball too.

• 2 weeks later...
Those frisky Russians!

I'm telling ya, Canada and USA have tempered the physical part so much in development, it may be the damn Russians who start generating the tough guys :)

Didn't those kids seem kinda small for 02's?

Yeah, some of them did look small. I was thinking that too.

• 2 weeks later...
I just found out we have 3 tournaments next season:

November: Toronto :wtf:

January: Rochester :mad:

February: TBD

NO TOURNAMENTS DURING THANKSGIVING OR CHRISTMAS BREAKS :happy:

Lol, we will be in the D.C. area for Thanksgiving...I guess I should get used to this.

Lol, we will be in the D.C. area for Thanksgiving...I guess I should get used to this.

Yeah. Usually you eat Thanksgiving dinner and then leave for wherever. Depending on how you feel about the people you're spending Thanksgiving with, this could be a good thing.

I skipped Thanksgiving and Xmas road trips last season.

Was very nice to eat at home rather then do those dinners in hotels like we had the 3 years before.

The parents to great getting together the food, etc....but not quite the same as sitting on the couch after a great home cooked meal at home.

I skipped Thanksgiving and Xmas road trips last season.

Was very nice to eat at home rather then do those dinners in hotels like we had the 3 years before.

The parents to great getting together the food, etc....but not quite the same as sitting on the couch after a great home cooked meal at home.

You have an advantage that none of us have, though.