• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Youth/Minor/Development Hockey

Puck Head

I agree with you in respect to hockey, Mikey. What do people expect the other team to do when they're up big? It's not like you can just take all the good players out of the game completely.

In other sports, it is kind of poor taste to keep all your best players in when you're up big, since you can just sub them out an use the opportunity to give your benchwarmers some actions. It doesn't just go for youth sports either, it goes for all levels, even professional

I agree with you in respect to hockey, Mikey. What do people expect the other team to do when they're up big? It's not like you can just take all the good players out of the game completely.

In other sports, it is kind of poor taste to keep all your best players in when you're up big, since you can just sub them out an use the opportunity to give your benchwarmers some actions. It doesn't just go for youth sports either, it goes for all levels, even professional

Different games, call for different measures. In basketball or football, you put in your bench players, but they're still PLAYING the game. No one is going to give you a lay up, or let you run for a touchdown. In baseball, there is no clock, so anything can happen. You can't take your best players out, but what some coaches do is not let the kids steal anymore or just go station to station without making it look bad. Imo, you're not teaching the kids anything, from either the winning or losing team. In hockey, parents expect a team to use the unwritten 5 pass rule. 5 passes before you can take a shot when you're crushing a team. In some games, I have no problem with it. In tournaments however, goal differential is used as a tie breaker in playoff seedings. Everyone knows this. And the parents screaming and yelling were just making the kids fight on the ice. The parents of the other team didn't cheer for one of the 16 goals they scored. Class act. Play the game.

On my sons football team it's a little different in blowouts

Ride your 2nd team defense and offense a little harder, maybe allow some different kids to play new positions

Can't do that so much in hockey (although I have swapped forwards and defenseman sometime)

Have to keep it simple in youth hockey

Roll your lines evenly

Make em play hard both directions (good habits)

In blowouts try and keep the goal celebrations to a minimum

Exactly. And the other team barely celebrated the 1st goal they scored, let alone the 16th.

On my sons football team it's a little different in blowouts

Ride your 2nd team defense and offense a little harder, maybe allow some different kids to play new positions

Can't do that so much in hockey (although I have swapped forwards and defenseman sometime)

They did that too. And like I mentioned above, other sports are different. You have 2nd teams but the kids are still playing the game. They don't put in the 2nd team and then knee the ball in the 3rd quarter. They still run plays that the other team needs to stop. It blows my mind that parents want to protect their kid's feelings so much that they would encourage quitting in the middle of the game. Take up backgammon.

Last season I didn't have a problem with blowouts for...was more concerned with NOT getting blown out ;)

But season before got bad.

But ya gotta keep work ethic going at all times...you know how 11 year olds are.

What I would do is emphasize and reinforce they things

Back checking

Blocking shots

Face offs

Owning both creases

Etc etc

I'd get more excited about those things then any goal

Last season I didn't have a problem with blowouts for...was more concerned with NOT getting blown out ;)

But season before got bad.

But ya gotta keep work ethic going at all times...you know how 11 year olds are.

What I would do is emphasize and reinforce they things

Back checking

Blocking shots

Face offs

Owning both creases

Etc etc

I'd get more excited about those things then any goal

Because you're not an idiot parent worrying about their kid crying over a 10 goal loss.

And I teach coaches on the other side of a blowout to do this....

Find battles within the game and focus on those.

Set some attainable goals.

Hell, just like your game..getting a dozen dropped on ya first half, and 2 in second half...

I'd make sure kids focused on THAT Improvement.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Mikey,

I felt your stress this week for the first time ever.

One week of tryouts finally finished last night and it was a nightmare not being the coach of the team my kid is not trying out for.

Hahahahahaha ..... The funny thing is that the parents are 10000000x more nervous than the kids are. Are the tryouts over? It's so funny how different things are from there to here. You're having tryouts now, and we're in week 2 of training camp with a roster that was picked in April.

Hahahahahaha ..... The funny thing is that the parents are 10000000x more nervous than the kids are. Are the tryouts over? It's so funny how different things are from there to here. You're having tryouts now, and we're in week 2 of training camp with a roster that was picked in April.

Yes, tryouts are over.

42 kids on the ice for 5 days.

We like to wait as long as possible, (kids change so much after season).

AAA Major team selected this morning.

AA Minor team should be posted sometime today i'm guessing

Yes, tryouts are over.

42 kids on the ice for 5 days.

We like to wait as long as possible, (kids change so much after season).

AAA Major team selected this morning.

AA Minor team should be posted sometime today i'm guessing

What team are you coaching? What team did your son try out for? And 42 is a low number here. You guys are more regional. We have 70-100 kids on the ice, including 6-10 goalies.

What team are you coaching? What team did your son try out for? And 42 is a low number here. You guys are more regional. We have 70-100 kids on the ice, including 6-10 goalies.

We have around 240 Pee Wees, but typically only 40-50 tryout for the AAA team.

People have a decent understanding what of Tier their kids should be tryout out for.

AA team is selected next, and then the Tier 3 next week, (huge numbers on the ice).

He was able to make that AAA team, he was on the outside looking in IMO, but he seemed to have a good tryout.

And the "intangibles" from what I've heard put him on the roster.

I'm essentially developing the type of player Phil loves :)

We have around 240 Pee Wees, but typically only 40-50 tryout for the AAA team.

People have a decent understanding what of Tier their kids should be tryout out for.

AA team is selected next, and then the Tier 3 next week, (huge numbers on the ice).

He was able to make that AAA team, he was on the outside looking in IMO, but he seemed to have a good tryout.

And the "intangibles" from what I've heard put him on the roster.

I'm essentially developing the type of player Phil loves :)

Great !!! I'm happy for him. Send me the link for your team again when it goes up.

Thanks

Was good for him to reach out and make a team at that level and with me no where around

Yeah, the both of you are definitely in a different situation than the rest of us. It's tougher for him than you, but you're more nervous than he is. lol

Yeah, the both of you are definitely in a different situation than the rest of us. It's tougher for him than you, but you're more nervous than he is. lol

I was!

And didn't realize how nervous I would be!!!

I've never done that in 20 years, (sit in stands as a parent).

I was!

And didn't realize how nervous I would be!!!

I've never done that in 20 years, (sit in stands as a parent).

Try being the parent of the kid that's constantly out there on an island. Who do you notice the most during a drill with 50 kids on the ice? The fuckin goalie.