• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Youth/Minor/Development Hockey

Puck Head

Exactly. You get to make the schedule. We have to follow one.

No shit?

Your coaches don't make that decision?

We have a coaches meeting from across the state in Sept, to set all our home/away games for league.

After that, it's all up to me to pick up exhibition games, tourney's, etc.

They do make that decision. You're a coach, I'm not. I push pucks at practices and I'm on the ice for the goalie clinics, but I'm not a coach.

Oh.

And I explained to my parents i'm all about saving money and keeping kids in school.

My budget came in 1/3 of the two season before with 4 more sheets of ice.

Reason is, we didn't travel out of state.

My team also missed on average 14 less days of school due to how we did road trips.

Attendance in school, financial responsibility.....two huge things I harp on.

Oh.

And I explained to my parents i'm all about saving money and keeping kids in school.

My budget came in 1/3 of the two season before with 4 more sheets of ice.

Reason is, we didn't travel out of state.

My team also missed on average 14 less days of school due to how we did road trips.

Attendance in school, financial responsibility.....two huge things I harp on.

Geographically, economically, and volume of players there vs here, is night and day. Same game, different approaches.

New team, new rules:

* I will NOT make excuses.

* I will always speak and act positively about my teammates and never say or do anything to put them down.

* I will always have a positive attitude at the rink.

* Anytime I wear _________ attire I will act respectfully to others and my organization. I will always represent the team in a positive manner.

* I will not swear or use abusive language on the bench, in the rink, at the hotel, or at any other team function.

* I will not lash out at any official (on or off ice) no matter what the call is. Nor will I speak to the official unless spoken to. The coaching staff will handle all matters pertaining to officials.

* If I receive a penalty, I will skate directly to the penalty box without speaking to the officials, opponents or coaches. Nor will I show any type of body expression.

* Any unsportsmanlike penalty will not be tolerated by the coaching staff and will be subject to team suspension and/or loss of ice time.

* Home game dress code: 3 button, white golf shirt, dress pants, sneakers, team jacket.

* Away game dress code: Team track suit, team t-shirt or hooded sweatshirt. Hat optional (must be team hat)

Practice and Game arrival and departure procedure:

* I will arrive with enough time to be ready and fully dressed 5 minutes prior to ice slot start time

* I will arrive 60 minutes prior to games, and be ready to go 15 minutes (fully dressed) prior to ice slot start time. I will have my sticks taped and skates sharpened prior to specified arrival time.

* If I miss a game or practice for an unexcused reason, there will be consequences at the coaches discretion.

* If I am sick I will not come to practice. I will rest at home in order to benefit my team in order to stay healthy.

----------------------------

* No parents in dressing room, unless you're assigned locker duty. NO parents bringing in water bottles into the room.

* I will get fully dressed by myself. I will tie my own skates.

* I will bring my own water bottle to practice and games. I will not drink out of a teammates bottle.

* I will carry my own bag to and from the rink.

* Any _________ jersey, practice or game, will never touch the ground.

* I understand breaking of any rules will result in disciplinary action, which could affect the entire team.

* I understand the coaches make all decisions based on the best interest of the team, and I will never put myself before the team.

I like it.

Going to steal something from it...

* I will arrive with enough time to be ready and fully dressed 5 minutes prior to ice slot start time

We go over practice on the board in the locker room around 10 minutes before zam is off.

So we went from 30 minutes early, to 45, and then even 60 at times.

But the fact is some kids can get dressed in 5 minutes, other kids it takes 30..

But the way you guys put it, simply be ready "x" minutes early for practice.

No need for the quick dressers to get there 45 minutes early.

I like it.

Going to steal something from it...

We go over practice on the board in the locker room around 10 minutes before zam is off.

So we went from 30 minutes early, to 45, and then even 60 at times.

But the fact is some kids can get dressed in 5 minutes, other kids it takes 30..

But the way you guys put it, simply be ready "x" minutes early for practice.

No need for the quick dressers to get there 45 minutes early.

There's a coach's message too. I'll post it later.

You ever heard of a team called the Reebok Nationals??

We have a group of 04's, (that is not a typo)...head out to some stupid tourney in Minnisota.

They just lost in championship game a few minutes ago.

But one of the teams were the Reebok Nationals, (out of minn I think).

Just was wondering if you guys had come across them.

You ever heard of a team called the Reebok Nationals??

We have a group of 04's, (that is not a typo)...head out to some stupid tourney in Minnisota.

They just lost in championship game a few minutes ago.

But one of the teams were the Reebok Nationals, (out of minn I think).

Just was wondering if you guys had come across them.

I've heard of them, I think they're a tournament team. I've never come across them, though.

What team is your guy on this year?

NJ Colonials - PW Minor AA

* All coaches should be role models for their young student-athletes, and should coach in a positive, constructive manner. This style will motivate the players to have confident in themselves and the coaches. This will facilitate a strong learning atmosphere.

* Parents should present a strong, positive role model to the players in all interactions with players, coaches, referees, and other parents.

* Recognize the long term goal and will promote players to have fun, encourage leadership, develop friendships, develop personal and team skills.

* Will instill a team first attitude. Players who contribute in any form will be recognized.

* Believe in running a disciplined team and have consequences for not following team rules.

* Will encourage creativity and team system play.

* Players develop in practice, additional practices will be added. There will be a 2 week preseason training camp.

* Will discuss each player's strengths and weaknesses in a 1 on 1 setting during the season. This not only will be used as a tool for teaching hockey, but a life skill. Players will be asked questions and will prepare responses to communicate with the coaches.

* We are teaching much more than hockey.

* We will win and lose as a team.

* We believe all players should have the opportunity to learn the power play, penalty kill, and play at key moments. All players will play.

I'm liking what the coaches wrote!

Are you familiar with these coaches, has Michael played for them before?

He's played against them several times over the past 3 years. Last year he did a clinic in their building in which his head coach was on the ice for. I've heard nothing but great things about the head coach. There are 2 assistants and they both have kids on the team. 1 is 1st cousins with a well known NHL player, they actually share the same first and last name. Great, great guys, all 3 of them.

He's played against them several times over the past 3 years. Last year he did a clinic in their building in which his head coach was on the ice for. I've heard nothing but great things about the head coach. There are 2 assistants and they both have kids on the team. 1 is 1st cousins with a well known NHL player, they actually share the same first and last name. Great, great guys, all 3 of them.

Awesome, and IMO it's good for kids to get a variety of coaches growing up.

Do you guys carry two goaltenders?

Awesome, and IMO it's good for kids to get a variety of coaches growing up.

Do you guys carry two goaltenders?

Yes ... the other goalie is a girl. She's good. Michael has always had good comraderie with every goalie he's shared the ice with. This will definitely be different for him. I just hope it's not difficult for him.

Yes ... the other goalie is a girl. She's good. Michael has always had good comraderie with every goalie he's shared the ice with. This will definitely be different for him. I just hope it's not difficult for him.

She's not a girl...she's competition for ice time!

Just kidding...that's great he gets along with the other tenders.

As ya know, I've been just carrying one the last two seasons.

I hate kids not getting ice time. When we hit bantams will start carrying two again.

She's not a girl...she's competition for ice time!

Just kidding...that's great he gets along with the other tenders.

As ya know, I've been just carrying one the last two seasons.

I hate kids not getting ice time. When we hit bantams will start carrying two again.

Yeah, it's tough though. If the kid gets sick or something, the team is fucked. Teams will usually rotate the goalies unless there are extreme circumstances or an obvious skill differential on higher teams. Or it could be the coach just doesn't like the parents and will bench the kid until they get frustrated enough to leave. I saw that happen to someone last year on another team. And fwiw, Michael is the best teammate you can ask for. He puts the team before himself all the time. He wants the team to win more than anything.

Yeah, it's tough though. If the kid gets sick or something, the team is fucked. Teams will usually rotate the goalies unless there are extreme circumstances or an obvious skill differential on higher teams. Or it could be the coach just doesn't like the parents and will bench the kid until they get frustrated enough to leave. I saw that happen to someone last year on another team. And fwiw, Michael is the best teammate you can ask for. He puts the team before himself all the time. He wants the team to win more than anything.

Luckily I am allowed to bring up a goaltender from any league below me, (we have 3 tiers below us).

And in the tourney's, I am allowed to dress a backup from any tier below us, from anywhere in the state.

Luckily I am allowed to bring up a goaltender from any league below me, (we have 3 tiers below us).

And in the tourney's, I am allowed to dress a backup from any tier below us, from anywhere in the state.

Yeah, the kids could play up, not down. But if they play more than 3 games at triple A, they can't go back down. The roster lock is 12/31, no?

Yeah, the kids could play up, not down. But if they play more than 3 games at triple A, they can't go back down. The roster lock is 12/31, no?

Except for goaltenders.

You are allowed emergency call ups as long as it's from a lesser Tier.

• 1 month later...

More pussification from parents. I really can't believe the things I witness in youth sports from some of these people. They really have no fuckin clue and are so worried about their little Johnny's feelings that they make themselves look like big fuckin babies. Michael was in a tournament at the Rock this weekend. It's a AAA tournament that they host, but more than 1/2 the players on this team don't belong playing at this level. I know it, coaches know it, and all of the parents know it. It's a bit of a money grab, but it's ice time. Yesterday they played a team loaded with 01 and 02 AAA players. We knew going in that it was going to be ugly. For me, I look forward to these games because it's a firing squad on Michael. The goalies split the games in the tournys and the other kid got the start in this game, but it was 14-1 when Michael came in and the other team didn't take their foot off the gas for 1 second. The final was 16-1, and I was very proud of the team and Michael for holding them to 2 goals after the initial shit show. A parent from our team started screaming and cursing at the coaches on the other bench because they were laying it on us and kept shooting the puck. The guy he was cursing at had his wife and daughter in the stands, and they were sitting right next to me. She happen to recognize me from other tournaments and we were chatting all game. She was visibly upset and the daughter was hysterical crying because her father was being cursed at from a man 3' away from her. I told him to grow the fuck up and knock it off. When the coaches came off the bench, Mr. tough guy (who my son is bigger than), decided to pipe it down because the other guy could have gone nose to nose to Brian Boyle. I thought that was funny. All 5' 10 of me was trying to push the big dude away and I had a nice chat with him, the other coach and all of the other team's families. In my eyes, they did nothing wrong. Play the fuckin game. As a parent of a kid on the team getting lumped, it's more embarrassing for the team to play keep away, then it is to actually play the game. You're not teaching the kids anything by making them quit, and why should my kid sit in the crease and watch the other team pass the puck around for 15 minutes? Stop the fuckin crying, and get your kid a set of balls. 15 minutes after the game they're not going to remember if it was 10-1, 14-1 or 19-1. The scores mean nothing, and the games will be forgotten about a lot quicker from the kids than the parents. Play the game, finish the game, and don't sign up for something that you or your kid can't handle.

I coach both of Michael's baseball teams, and before the games I tell the other coaches not to take their foot off the peddle if the score is out of control. Don't take a single if it's a triple, steal bases, and play aggressively. You're not teaching our kids shit by letting them standing there doing nothing because they know you're not going to steal a base. Our catcher won't get better, our infield won't get better, and you're teaching them that it's ok to quit. That's fuckin bullshit.