• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Youth/Minor/Development Hockey

Puck Head

Your minor sports systems are completely fucked. Completely. You're School based programs are phenomonal however.

Yeah, the schools that you PAY to go to have great teams. Highschool sports is a club team that shares the same teachers.

I'm assuming it's just his term for the same thing you'll be doing next week. A lot of skating.

We call that practice :)

If I skate kids for 45 minutes.

Inside edges

Outside edges

Stride drills

Balance drills

I can wear them out harder then 45 minutes of down and backs, (which are worthless).

And it's never, ever a punishment.......we treat it as a fucking privilage.

You want to become better, work hard the next 45 minutes.

Ya it's a no puck practice, but we don't consider it "camp", or "preason".....it's simple practice of developement.

:)

Yeah, the schools that you PAY to go to have great teams. Highschool sports is a club team that shares the same teachers.

Depends on what State.

Michigan/Californa are all about Comp hockey from ages 14-18.

Minnesota is all about High School hockey from ages 14-18.

In Alaska we do a hybrid which many in USA hockey have taken notice and seem to like.

We call that practice :)

If I skate kids for 45 minutes.

Inside edges

Outside edges

Stride drills

Balance drills

I can wear them out harder then 45 minutes of down and backs, (which are worthless).

And it's never, ever a punishment.......we treat it as a fucking privilage.

You want to become better, work hard the next 45 minutes.

Ya it's a no puck practice, but we don't consider it "camp", or "preason".....it's simple practice of developement.

:)

Yes, but how many practices during the season do you have without pucks?

Yes, but how many practices during the season do you have without pucks?

None, never, ever, ever, ever, ever.

Always have pucks on ice.

Only change is the ratio to skating/edgwork in relation to puck drills.

Actually, every single practice till the age of 15 or so should end in some kind of "scrimmage" or small area competitive games.

Something I need to get better at.

I find myself running drills, stations, etc...and whamo....5 minutes left in practice.

Actually, every single practice till the age of 15 or so should end in some kind of "scrimmage" or small area competitive games.

I find myself running drills, stations, etc...and whamo....5 minutes left in practice.

Exactly ... lol. You call it practice, others call it training camp.

What do you mean? Instilling it into your practices?

And psychologically, it gives kids something to look forward to. I used to love scrimmages at the end of practice.

Personally, my favorite was when the coach would stop scrimmages when he saw something that needed to be corrected or he saw something that exemplified what he just went over in practice. It was great to learn that kind of stuff and have him show it in a simulated game situation.

And psychologically, it gives kids something to look forward to. I used to love scrimmages at the end of practice.

Personally, my favorite was when the coach would stop scrimmages when he saw something that needed to be corrected or he saw something that exemplified what he just went over in practice. It was great to learn that kind of stuff and have him show it in a simulated game situation.

Of course. Skating drills sucked. Before the team went on the ice last night, a kid in the locker room asked if we were skating. I said, no, 10-15 minutes of drills just to warm the goalies up, and then scrimmaging the rest of the way. You never saw 14 kids celebrate like that before.

Of course. Skating drills sucked. Before the team went on the ice last night, a kid in the locker room asked if we were skating. I said, no, 10-15 minutes of drills just to warm the goalies up, and then scrimmaging the rest of the way. You never saw 14 kids celebrate like that before.

Those were the best practices. Skate the dots, do some 2-on-1's or weaves, and then scrimmage for an hour.

I miss being a kid.

Exactly ... lol. You call it practice, others call it training camp.

What do you mean? Instilling it into your practices?

Yes, too often last year I missed out on scrimmages, small area games, etc at the end of practice cause we got caught up on station drills, flow, etc.

Yes, too often last year I missed out on scrimmages, small area games, etc at the end of practice cause we got caught up on station drills, flow, etc.

It's tough to put a clock on a practice due to the 1 or 2 drill busters that need further explanation. But just wrap it up after 45, and give them 15 minutes cross ice.

Those were the best practices. Skate the dots, do some 2-on-1's or weaves, and then scrimmage for an hour.

I miss being a kid.

lol, well these are just optional skates organized by a few parents, so we're just looking to get them back in the flow before the head coach tears them apart next week. They have 5 practices in 7 days, including a double next Saturday.

It's tough to put a clock on a practice due to the 1 or 2 drill busters that need further explanation. But just wrap it up after 45, and give them 15 minutes cross ice.

This is exactly what I should be doing.

I'm not justifying my failure, just acknowledging it :)

lol, well these are just optional skates organized by a few parents, so we're just looking to get them back in the flow before the head coach tears them apart next week. They have 5 practices in 7 days, including a double next Saturday.

Are the parents paying for this directly, or is the team sponsoring it?

• 2 weeks later...