• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Youth/Minor/Development Hockey

Puck Head

BINGO!!!!

I've spoken to 3-4 people on this subject, who know the situation, know the coaches, etc....all thought would be great opportunity for my son.

That being said, I've never heard of a coach adding a 7th defenseman for practices simply to develop them for next season. (I would never do it).

Amazing coaching staff, but at one time or another I've had 3 of 4 as asst coaches in the past or coached them directly.

They will loose one defenseman in October to varsity High School who returns at end of season for State/National tourney.

So they are looking at filling that 6th spot for practices.

Son had a hell of a tryout, hardest worker out there, and this coming from a dad who doesn't think much of his son's hockey skills.

But some lightbulb got turned on this summer in regards to training etc.

I'm leaning more towards the life lesson here, and that is you earn a spot on the team. And simply work harder next year.

Gotcha. I think I agree, but it's a tough decision.

Gotcha. I think I agree, but it's a tough decision.

Big picture, none of these kids will make a living playing hockey, (% is SO low).

But could be a better lesson learned here. Sometimes effort and preparation just aren't quite enough.

And honestly, he seems more motivated then ever (which isn't his style).

You, and I are/were in a similar situation. The difference is our kid's playing positions. I think my decision was easier because Michael is a goalie. How much game time is your son going to see?

I like Michaels' situation, as we discussed on phone it's a good one.

My son's is much different. He would be rostered on a lower Tier, so would never play a game with this team.

The coach just wants him there for every practice and dryland.

This team travels internationally etc, so wouldn't mind the big cost savings :)

I like Michaels' situation, as we discussed on phone it's a good one.

My son's is much different. He would be rostered on a lower Tier, so would never play a game with this team.

The coach just wants him there for every practice and dryland.

This team travels internationally etc, so wouldn't mind the big cost savings :)

So he's a taxi player for practice, but plays his games with another team? I don't like it. How about 1 taxi practice a week when feasable? The other coach's practice plan isn't going to be based on whether or not your son shows up. Know what I mean?

So he's a taxi player for practice, but plays his games with another team? I don't like it. How about 1 taxi practice a week when feasable? The other coach's practice plan isn't going to be based on whether or not your son shows up. Know what I mean?

I agree.

If he drops down one Tier, then he wouldn't be able to practice with top team.

Too many conflicting practices. I'm fine with him just playing the next tier down, issue is that ....I don't expect much of a development season.

Two very young brand new coaches, and all practices will be 1/2 ice, (don't agree with that at bantam level).

If he drops down two Tiers, they only practice once a week and one game per week. So....that's what my son and the coach is wanting.

Still get your game once a week, and be able to practice 5 nights a week with Major Bantam (full ice).

I agree.

If he drops down one Tier, then he wouldn't be able to practice with top team.

Too many conflicting practices. I'm fine with him just playing the next tier down, issue is that ....I don't expect much of a development season.

Two very young brand new coaches, and all practices will be 1/2 ice, (don't agree with that at bantam level).

If he drops down two Tiers, they only practice once a week and one game per week. So....that's what my son and the coach is wanting.

Still get your game once a week, and be able to practice 5 nights a week with Major Bantam (full ice).

Honestly, this changes it a bit for me. You want him doing what's best for him to develop...practicing with a higher tier but playing on a lower tier may give him the push...practicing with a higher tier and not being able play isn't much of a reward if you down play it.

He's gotta get game time. How about 1 practice with each team per week? Or 2 and 1 depending on the schedule?

The lower tier team plays one game per week, practice once a week, but practice would have 60% attendance and is 1/2 ice.

The highest tier team practices 5 days a week, plus dryland afterwards. Full Ice practice. Also current NAHL Jr A players who don't travel with team use this ice (2-3 players).

Like I said, the kids on the highest Tier ice, 6 of the 9 returners were invited to USA national camp this summer....high end practices.

The lowest tier team would be "rec" hockey.

The lower tier team plays one game per week, practice once a week, but practice would have 60% attendance and is 1/2 ice.

The highest tier team practices 5 days a week, plus dryland afterwards. Full Ice practice. Also current NAHL Jr A players who don't travel with team use this ice (2-3 players).

Like I said, the kids on the highest Tier ice, 6 of the 9 returners were invited to USA national camp this summer....high end practices.

The lowest tier team would be "rec" hockey.

So let him practice with his team, and play the 1 game a week. He has 4 other practices he can attend with the better squad. Is that an option?

Mikey,

You guys start skating yet? What kind of schedule this season so far?

Had optional tune up camp this week. We went Mon, Tues, and Wed. Mandatory training camp next week. 2 a days Monday, and Tuesday 10-12, then 1:15-3:15 followed by 45 of dryland. Off Wednesday, back on for 1 session Thursday, and then a double on Labor Day.

We play 34 league games, and have 5 tournys. We'll probably end up around 70 games. I'm factoring in playoffs, and districts in those 70 assuming we go deep. We won't play that many non league games because not too many teams will want to play us around here that aren't already in our division. We'll probably play Mid Fairfield 2-3 times in non league.

How many times a week do you guys practice?

70 games seems WAY extreme too me still!!

We play around 25 games per season.

I only have our practice schedule up until Nov 5th, and we have 30 up until that point. I said 70 because of the tournys, and my assumption that we will be in the playoffs and districts with deep runs