• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Acquire Jack Roslovic From CBJ

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

They loaded up last year and we're out in R1.

They tinkered the year before and went to the Eastern conference final. 

I find this to be faulty reasoning.  You've got correlative evidence and you are suggesting causality.

I'd suggest that Drury did what he could.  He missed on Guentzel.  Given the NMCs and other roster restrictions he did his best.

Just now, fletch said:

I find this to be faulty reasoning.  You've got correlative evidence and you are suggesting causality.

I'd suggest that Drury did what he could.  He missed on Guentzel.  Given the NMCs and other roster restrictions he did his best.

The point I was trying to make is it's impossible to predict what's going to happen in the playoffs on deadline day. 

Considering how little was available and how much it costs, I'm glad the Rangers got through the deadline this year without doing anything too stupid or short-sighted.   

Really, since the start of the season, the big bet has been on the coaching staff to have them ready to play a better type of hockey.  

• Like 1
  • Believe 1

Aside from being a decent player, I like the fact that Roslovic is a direct challenge to Kakko. This is the big stage. Step up to 1RW or step down to 3RW, but it's in your hands and there's nobody to blame but you. And no bitching about ice time. If it was Guentzel or someone like him - even Vatrano, he would have been buried automatically. Now, all he has to do is outplay Roslovic to earn the spot he wants. 

Edited by RodrigueGabriel
  • Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

1 hour ago, Pete said:

The point I was trying to make is it's impossible to predict what's going to happen in the playoffs on deadline day. 

OK, thank you for clarifying 🍻

2 hours ago, Pete said:

They loaded up last year and we're out in R1.

They tinkered the year before and went to the Eastern conference final. 

Yup, and historically speaking, the teams who go big fish hunting on deadline day rarely win because of it. If anything, the teams that expressly don't are the ones who tend to be most successful. The ones who augment their already talented rosters with quality role players who tend to play key roles in big moments but who's cumulative points are easy to overlook. Lehkonen to the Avs-type moves.

This is why I wanted to add a few more warrior/prick-types. Trenin, Duhaime, Kunin, Maroon, Bogosian, Tuch, etc. They opted more for, I don't know how to describe it, utilitarian? adds. Might work, might not, but it's probably smart business/strategy.

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, RodrigueGabriel said:

Aside from being a decent player, I like the fact that Roslovic is a direct challenge to Kakko. This is the big stage. Step up to 1RW or step down to 3RW, but it's in your hands and there's nobody to blame but you. And no bitching about ice time. If it was Guentzel or someone like him - even Vatrano, he would have been buried automatically. Now, all he has to do is outplay Roslovic to earn the spot he wants. 

Right, and I'm not even sure Roslovic gets the start ahead of him there or not, but there's a very clear path for Kakko to take the reigns. If he ever actually does (I have very public, very well-known reservations) is completely up to him.

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yup, and historically speaking, the teams who go big fish hunting on deadline day rarely win because of it. If anything, the teams that expressly don't are the ones who tend to be most successful. The ones who augment their already talented rosters with quality role players who tend to play key roles in big moments but who's cumulative points are easy to overlook. Lehkonen to the Avs-type moves.

This is why I wanted to add a few more warrior/prick-types. Trenin, Duhaime, Kunin, Maroon, Bogosian, Tuch, etc. They opted more for, I don't know how to describe it, utilitarian? adds. Might work, might not, but it's probably smart business/strategy.

This is likely because the teams that win it all are pretty much set to succeed and don't feel like they need to make additions at the deadline.

This year is strange because so many teams are bunched together at the top of the league.  Most years there are 3 or 4 clear favorites and then tiers of contenders below them.  This year it is Florida, Boston, NYR, Carolina and Toronto and that's just in the East.  The West has Vancouver, Dallas, Winnipeg, Colorado and people would be foolish to not consider Edmonton in the cream of the crop due to their terrible start and recovery.

That's like 10 teams that can be projecting themselves as one of the top 3 or 4 teams at this point.

2 hours ago, fletch said:

He just got rebuffed on Guentzel. 
That’s all. 

11 minutes ago, Br4d said:

This is likely because the teams that win it all are pretty much set to succeed and don't feel like they need to make additions at the deadline.

This year is strange because so many teams are bunched together at the top of the league.  Most years there are 3 or 4 clear favorites and then tiers of contenders below them.  This year it is Florida, Boston, NYR, Carolina and Toronto and that's just in the East.  The West has Vancouver, Dallas, Winnipeg, Colorado and people would be foolish to not consider Edmonton in the cream of the crop due to their terrible start and recovery.

That's like 10 teams that can be projecting themselves as one of the top 3 or 4 teams at this point.

As opposed to last year's arms race, I think the talent migration was more east to west this time. That side is going to be a bloodbath and I'm glad we're not in it. I think the East is definitely more manageable - FLA notwithstanding.

• Believe 1

1 hour ago, RangersIn7 said:

He just got rebuffed on Guentzel. 
That’s all. 

Which is fine, but we shouldn't be blowing sunshine up Drury's ass, or planning the parade because we picked up Wennberg and Roslovic.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fletch said:

Which is fine, but we shouldn't be blowing sunshine up Drury's ass, or planning the parade because we picked up Wennberg and Roslovic.

We shouldn't be happy that the holes of the lineup were addressed and he didn't have to spend a lot to do it?

I think that's exactly what you want your GM to do. 

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

I think we did the best that we could given this year‘s circumstances. I really believe the answer to a deep run this year lies within the rooms already existing pieces. The leaders of this group have to step it up and take it to the next level. To quote Mike Rupp they have to be comfortable playing uncomfortable

• Keeps it 100 1
  • Believe 1

Might not be a flashy offensive acquisition but we sure are a better defensively post the deadline and more versatile. I think the moves reflect the coaches influence as well. 

Edited by mbob

38 minutes ago, fletch said:

No

But we should be happy that he made some good trades to add some players with upside, based on the role they’ll be asked to play, without overpaying for the crap that’s out there right now. 

Wennberg is a very good defensive center with some offense and versatility to his game.

And Roslovic might actually be a sneaky good add.

• Bullseye 1

If Roslovic doesn't somehow spark the 2nd line most specifically Zib, but Kreider as well into doing a way better job scoring at even strength (I'm not totally sure but I believe Mika hasn't scored since when, December??) it's most likely not going to end well.

There's been no sign of that happening up until now. There's no indication Kakko is capable of making it happen, maybe someday but I think it's fools gold to think he's going to magically make it happen at this time all of the sudden.  Let him go back to the 3rd line where he fits best.  

Is it primarily on Mika and Chris - yes.

If Drury didn't want to overpay and give up anything meaningful, certainly his call not to take a bigger swing.  Hopefully they catch lightning in a bottle with Roslovic  playing alongside Mika and Kreider.

Wenneberg should definitely be an upgrade over Brodzinski.

Time will tell.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

We shouldn't be happy that the holes of the lineup were addressed and he didn't have to spend a lot to do it?

I think that's exactly what you want your GM to do. 

There are holes in the roster because of injuries, selection of players/contracts inked, and the NMCs, which are problems management helped create.  Drury is slapping some spackle on a flawed team with structural issues.

33 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

No

But we should be happy that he made some good trades to add some players with upside, based on the role they’ll be asked to play, without overpaying for the crap that’s out there right now. 

Wennberg is a very good defensive center with some offense and versatility to his game.

And Roslovic might actually be a sneaky good add.

We can be happy that he didn't sacrifice much of our future for a Rangers team that is going to struggle to advance in the playoffs.

Zib and Kreider are aging... our skill players prefer the perimeter and avoiding the physical contact that most reliably produce goals in the postseason.

Management can tinker, coaches can juggle lines, but when your core vets don't have the fire to consistently elevate their game to match opponents in 7 game series, it's not going to end well.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, fletch said:

There are holes in the roster because of injuries, selection of players/contracts inked, and the NMCs, which are problems management helped create.  Drury is slapping some spackle on a flawed team with structural issues.

We can be happy that he didn't sacrifice much of our future for a Rangers team that is going to struggle to advance in the playoffs.

Zib and Kreider are aging... our skill players prefer the perimeter and avoiding the physical contact that most reliably produce goals in the postseason.

Management can tinker, coaches can juggle lines, but when your core vets don't have the fire to consistently elevate their game to match opponents in 7 game series, it's not going to end well.

Might as well stop watching now. What's the point?

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Might as well stop watching now. What's the point?

Rangers hockey is entertaining.  I don't have to think that they are a serious Cup contender to watch and enjoy.

Edited by fletch
  • Cheers 1
  • Applause 1