• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Acquire Jack Roslovic From CBJ

The Rangers are serious cup contenders if CK-MZ-? score a bunch of 5v5 goals in the tournament.  If that happens and *if* Igor is on his shit and *if* the defense stops making bad cross-ice passes coming out of the DZ we have a shot.

There are enough working pieces right now for Laviolette and company to sit somebody without regard for what line or pair they slot into if the CS thinks that individual needs some more motivation to do what the CS wants them to do instead of what the player would prefer to do.

12 hours ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

I still don’t see what more fans wanted Drury to do.  There’s this fantasy that he was going to pull off the ultimate fleece for a future HOF no one was talking about. 

How do you know roslovic or wennberg wont be HOF’rs?

These were good pickup’s.

I wanted a bigger, sexier name too. But it wasn’t there to be had at a reasonable price I don’t believe. 

Don’t sleep on these 2 pieces.

They have the potential and opportunity to be very impactful. 

When I watch Florida and Colorado, I see different styles that translate to winning hockey in the playoffs.  MacKinnon and Tkachuk get to the net and create chances in different ways, and are the most visible examples of how their teams play.  The Rangers would have a puncher's chance against either team in a 7 game series.  Or, a lower seed could shut down the Panarin line, our goaltending could revert to average, and we can get bounced.  We'll see.  I've consistently said I hope I'm wrong and the Rangers will go on a deep run this year.

• Believe 1

Its good not having the kind of expectations hoisted upon them post the tarasenko/kane moves.

They know that if theyre going to have success its going to have to be based on a strong collective effort and style of play. Theres no ducking that this time.

Edited by Jdog99
  • Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, fletch said:

When I watch Florida and Colorado, I see different styles that translate to winning hockey in the playoffs.  MacKinnon and Tkachuk get to the net and create chances in different ways, and are the most visible examples of how their teams play.  The Rangers would have a puncher's chance against either team in a 7 game series.  Or, a lower seed could shut down the Panarin line, our goaltending could revert to average, and we can get bounced.  We'll see.  I've consistently said I hope I'm wrong and the Rangers will go on a deep run this year.

On the bright side either the Rangers make a deep run or Drury will be under incredible pressure to blow things up this summer.

It's kind of like this is the last year we're likely to be stuck in the talent but no drive meta.

• TroCheckmark 1

35 minutes ago, fletch said:

I feel you.

But there’s no real juggernaut immortal dynastic team out there. Every team has flaws. We just all happen to watch the Rangers every night, so we see the Rangers flaws the most.

Any team can have a bad couple of weeks in the playoffs, run into the wrong opponent at the wrong time and get beat. 

• TroCheckmark 1

Took another look at Roslovic last night and I think he has some real upside potential.  He's been getting 3rd line minutes plus PK/PP2 time and he's kind of been on the verge of breaking out the last few seasons.

I think this was an excellent deal given the price we paid for him.  Put him up on line 1 to start and see if he has another step up with CK and MZ next to him.

He has the move to the front of the net that everybody else but Panarin is lacking at this point.  He has the step to get around the defense and shoot and he's done that a few times.

Caveats would be that he generally has played for also-rans and it is not clear if he's capable of maintaining pace when he's just playing against good defenders.

• Believe 1

Im interested in this dudes long term prospects as a ranger. Does he get extended or resigned?  Hes still young and maybe has a chance to breakout a bit more, in the strome model, as ive seen mentioned.

He brings pretty good speed. That's kinda all I see. That IS something I said I would like to see brought in though.

Has a decent shot that he uses from the perimeter. Hopefully he wont defer to a pass when theres a shot there. Maybe if he chucks every opportunity to the net from what looks like his typical shooting area (high circles) from the perimeter, it draws Kreider and Zibanejad to the front of the net, for tips or rebounds.

I don't see much there as far as a player breaking out. I don't see cuts to the net. I see a poor man's Zibanejad. 

I see he kills penalties,  so maybe we see a lot less of Zibanejad on every PK, which hopefully gives him more juice and jump at 5 on 5. 

Seems like a utility man. 

Could have done worse. Could have done nothing. A guy with legs is something that they have not tried in a while. It wasn't my first choice of direction, but oh well. This is the team. It's more options to try in multiple spots.  Can only think positive and believe in Laviolette Panarin and Shesterkin..  

If this is perimeter, I'll take it 10 out of 10 times.

spacer.png

Half his goals come at the net front. 

spacer.png

This is where he scores from over his career. 

spacer.png

Edited by Pete

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

If this is perimeter, I'll take it 10 out of 10 times.

spacer.png

Half his goals come at the net front. 

spacer.png

This is where he scores from over his career. 

spacer.png

Lmao  that's exactly the perimeter. Top of face off circles. But yeah. You go girl. 

36 minutes ago, Jdog99 said:

Im interested in this dudes long term prospects as a ranger. Does he get extended or resigned?  Hes still young and maybe has a chance to breakout a bit more, in the strome model, as ive seen mentioned.

Strome is a really good comparison for him.

37 minutes ago, torontonyr said:

He has a better shot than I expected 

He has to be motivated. He went from a dumpster fire to a Stanley cup contender and went to playing on an offensively talented line. Hope that shot translates to great opportunities and goals.

• Believe 1

On 3/9/2024 at 11:22 AM, Jdog99 said:

Probably walks, like most of the players in this position. Would be cool to keep one or two of these guys, particularly Roslovic because he's a RW, but the draw of unrestricted free agency is real, and so are the Rangers' cap problems.

But that's also shit to worry about in July, not now.

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Probably walks, like most of the players in this position. Would be cool to keep one or two of these guys, particularly Roslovic because he's a RW, but the draw of unrestricted free agency is real, and so are the Rangers' cap problems.

If it works at RW, I don't think they make the same mistake twice.

4 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

If it works at RW, I don't think they make the same mistake twice.

What mistake is that? They might not be able to afford it. Even if it works, it may just be an issue of the math.

40 minutes ago, Phil said:

We will see how it goes, but if it does go well, you have to think they’ll make efforts to keep them.