• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Acquire Jack Roslovic From CBJ

1 hour ago, Valriera said:

Tonight was his best so far. Fast and creative, caused the Mika goal. 

He's faster than I thought!  We never seem to have team speed.  He looks like the fucking next to Wheeler!

Looney Tunes Running GIF by Looney Tunes World of Mayhem

1 hour ago, Valriera said:

Tonight was his best so far. Fast and creative, caused the Mika goal. 

It's really no coincidence that they got some speed on that line, and within 2 games that speed forces a turnover and Zibanejad gets his 1st 5v5 goal since Christmas.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

8 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

It's really no coincidence that they got some speed on that line, and within 2 games that speed forces a turnover and Zibanejad gets his 1st 5v5 goal since Christmas.

Isn't it pretty damning that we're sitting here saying line with Kreider on it just needed some speed to be more effective?

I agree with the speed comment, however there was also a tenacious forecheck on that goal, Roslovic skated directly to a player and disrupted a play. There was no flyby. 

Drury really has done very well these last three trade deadlines. If the goal was to get very helpful players without giving up a ton of draft capital or any prospects, he very much succeeded. Last year he made the big splashes, but it didn't work. This year he got the better fits.

• Believe 1

The guy that slips under the radar is Wennberg. He's been great with Cuylle and Kakko.  That line gives us so much continuity of pressure and forecheck, and also puck possession and offensive zone time.

Wennberg seems to find Cuylle all over the ice, and Kakko looks the best I've seen him all season.

29 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

The guy that slips under the radar is Wennberg. He's been great with Cuylle and Kakko.  That line gives us so much continuity of pressure and forecheck, and also puck possession and offensive zone time.

Wennberg seems to find Cuylle all over the ice, and Kakko looks the best I've seen him all season.

That line carried the shot share, but need to finish. They were on the plus side of Corsi but the minus side of xGF%.

They'll get there. Kakko needs to cut out the endless cycle. 

31 minutes ago, Pete said:

That line carried the shot share, but need to finish. They were on the plus side of Corsi but the minus side of xGF%.

I didn't get a chance to see the possession stats from last night, but I'd bet we had way more O Zone time than the Devils.  It seemed that line specifically was a needle in their side all night.

The finishes will come, and Kakko was actually robbed like twice I think...We still keep catching iron too.  I don't know if there's a stat for it, but I bet we lead the league in post dingers!  😃

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Wennberg skated with a breaker into the DZ, forced him to the boards and took the puck.  Also Panarin is starting to look really good on defense.  He's making the effort and his skills make the difference.

3 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Wennberg skated with a breaker into the DZ, forced him to the boards and took the puck.  Also Panarin is starting to look really good on defense.  He's making the effort and his skills make the difference.

I watched that play, and thought to myself, "He knew exactly where he was going with that pass".  He took it away like candy from a baby!

It's only been 2 games but I'm applauding Drury's sense of what this team really needed.  These are the type players that make a difference in a 7 game series; 2-way guys who are smart, responsible and experienced.

• Believe 1

On 3/12/2024 at 8:34 AM, Ozzy said:

Cuylle is established now which is no small thing for a rookie player.  Earlier than any of us expected TBH but this new line if it allowed to settle in may end up with him getting a lot more scoring chances.  Wennberg is fitting in beautifully after two games and I think there is even more to come. 

On 3/12/2024 at 9:04 AM, Pete said:

I never say this about any player.  It is a bit of a jinx but Kakko feels to me like he is about to turn a real corner with his new line mates.

• Keeps it 100 1
  • Believe 2

On 3/12/2024 at 9:53 AM, Ozzy said:

I watched that play, and thought to myself, "He knew exactly where he was going with that pass".  He took it away like candy from a baby!

It's only been 2 games but I'm applauding Drury's sense of what this team really needed.  These are the type players that make a difference in a 7 game series; 2-way guys who are smart, responsible and experienced.

He did it again last night.  I think it's going to be a signature move - 200 foot center.

• TroCheckmark 1

On 3/12/2024 at 9:53 AM, Ozzy said:

It's early, but you can kinda draw a pattern to his assessment if you look at the last three years (with this current season counting as an in progress year).

Y1 he added cheap depth and filled clear holes with role players, not specifically star-chasing.

Y2 he chased stars who, seeing how successful the Rangers were, wanted on.

Y3 he added cheap depth and filled clear holes with role players again (even though he was in on stars).

Whether he saved himself from himself or was saved from making costly adds again, this feels like the right formula.

15 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

the game is too fast for Kakko.  He hasnt adjusted yet.  It takes him forever to get the shot off.  He has a pretty nasty snapper tho

He's ok with the puck facing the goal.  He's not ok with the puck in most other cases, just a turnover waiting to happen.

He's ok in the slot when he gets a nice easy to handle pass.

2 minutes ago, Br4d said:

He's ok with the puck facing the goal.  He's not ok with the puck in most other cases, just a turnover waiting to happen.

You don't think he's a threat facing the boards with the puck? His 3 turns back and forth which always end the same way, isn't a redeeming quality for you? Geez....high standards....

• LOL 1

3 minutes ago, Br4d said:

he gets passes in good scoring chances but he stickhandles too much before shooting.  By the time he gets himself in a comfortable position to shoot, someone already has a stick there to deflect his shot or block it.  I was very surprised he had so much time to shoot the puck last night.  I think he was too.  

• Keeps it 100 1

3 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

he gets passes in good scoring chances but he stickhandles too much before shooting.  By the time he gets himself in a comfortable position to shoot, someone already has a stick there to deflect his shot or block it.  I was very surprised he had so much time to shoot the puck last night.  I think he was too.  

He's taken the quick shot before.  It's not like it's something he can't do.

Not sure what the overall problem is but I think you pointed at it with the "comfortable" remark.  A player isn't going to be comfortable most of the time when they shoot and yet they score goals on some of those shots.  Kakko not so much unless he's comfortable.

• Keeps it 100 1

48 minutes ago, Phil said:

It's early, but you can kinda draw a pattern to his assessment if you look at the last three years (with this current season counting as an in progress year).

Y1 he added cheap depth and filled clear holes with role players, not specifically star-chasing.

Y2 he chased stars who, seeing how successful the Rangers were, wanted on.

Y3 he added cheap depth and filled clear holes with role players again (even though he was in on stars).

Whether he saved himself from himself or was saved from making costly adds again, this feels like the right formula.

I still consider Drury a relatively "new" GM, and I think there's a learning curve to it.  He's been saddled with some tough contracts to deal with and a flat cap, which obviously ties his hands on a lot of movement.  However, his assessment of what this team needed seems to me like he's been in constant lock-step with Laviolette.  I didn't get that same feeling with Gallant.

I'm not beating Gallant over the head here, but it felt like there was no "type" player the last 2 seasons.  Vatrano and Copp were great fits and also good players.  So that fit very well.  Kane and Tarasenko were also good players but the chemistry wasn't there.

Wennberg fits that 3rd line seemingly like a glove, because he's a high IQ player with very good skating ability, which makes us faster and smarter on that line up the middle, where the game pretty much flows.  Not to mention he's a better than average face off man.  Possession is always a good thing! 

Roslovic is looking to be the steal of the deadline right now.  Not only does he mesh well with Zibby, but he's seemingly put a spur in the ass of Kreider, where I now see Kreider much more involved in the forecheck, making plays, getting in more on the forecheck, and actually attempting One-timers???  Roslovic is an excellent skater and has great speed to go along with being a very heady player.  Something we hadn't had on that line since I can remember.

All 4 lines right now seem to be going in the direction I think Laviolette had envisioned from training camp.  In a home game, it's going to be a much bigger advantage for us because Laviolette can get the exact matchups he wants.  So home ice advantage this year is going to be a lot more important for us than the past few seasons.

Jesus, that's the most I think I ever typed since GDT threads!!  😃

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 2