• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ducks' Frank Vatrano and Adam Henrique on Rangers Radar

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Absolutely, but I see the short and long term logic if Drury is meh on Kakko while high on the other winger prospects. Drury reportedly taking calls on Kakko kind of suggests that. By the way, I don't think he would have even been taking calls if Lavi was delivering glowing reports about him.

For what it's worth, think what's being reported is slightly skewed. I think teams are calling, but that doesn't mean the Rangers are listening. 

Agree with @Phil about Verbeek being at the game, but if that's the case I'm sure he didn't like what he saw because that line didn't do much.

Likely what he saw is CK and MZ being pretty dysfunctional themselves in addition to not even utilizing the third linemate which has been this case all season. 

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

For what it's worth, think what's being reported is slightly skewed. I think teams are calling, but that doesn't mean the Rangers are listening. 

Agree with @Phil about Verbeek being at the game, but if that's the case I'm sure he didn't like what he saw because that line didn't do much.

Likely what he saw is CK and MZ being pretty dysfunctional themselves in addition to not even utilizing the third linemate which has been this case all season. 

Kakko had the puck a fair amount last night. Just not much came out of it. It was another game where he looked “good” in that he maintained possession fairly consistently, but the same old empty contributions when all said and done. That’s my view, but I hope Verbeek just sees the good part. The Zegras talk in this thread is getting my hopes back up 🤪

3 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

I think we're about to see a framework along the lines of Vatrano and Henrique, both half retained, for Kakko.

Agree, but don't forget Zegras may be in play. 

Kakko for Zegras? 

Kakko and a 1st for Zegras and Vatrano? 

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

Zegras and Vatrano is a deal I'd like to see but you can't deal a RW for a RW. We need depth at that position not a 1 for 1 trade. This is why I don't understand with Othmann hasn't been up here trying his hand at RW. It would.open up other possibilities.

Many are suggesting Zegras isn't very good at center and should flip to wing. They'd be getting a RW (Vatrano) and a guy that they can try at different center slots (2nd or 3rd line) and move to an available RW spot. The Rangers really could use 2 RWs and 2 Cs. 

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Kakko had the puck a fair amount last night. Just not much came out of it. It was another game where he looked “good” in that he maintained possession fairly consistently, but the same old empty contributions when all said and done. That’s my view, but I hope Verbeek just sees the good part. The Zegras talk in this thread is getting my hopes back up 🤪

A larger deal involving Kakko for Zegras + Vatrano makes more sense than Henrique. 

• Keeps it 100 1

12 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Kakko for Zegras

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

A larger deal involving Kakko for Zegras + Vatrano makes more sense than Henrique. 

tom cast GIF

• LMFAO 3
  • Cheers 1
  • JIMMY! 2

15 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Kakko for Zegras?

chapelle-charlie-murphy.gif

Closer, but keep adding. Kakko and a 1st probably gets you Zegras. Now add for Vatrano (26 goals this year).

• LMFAO 1

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

Would you slide Trocheck back to 3C and put Zegras with Panarin? Or use Zegras as RW1.  Or 3C? 

Getting a guy that play center or wing is an intriguing move. This late in the season having the option to move players around the lineup could be huge. Getting a dedicated RW on top of that is earth shattering lol. 

probably much, much larger with us giving up a ton to somehow work the cap space needed.  We'd be taking on a lot of ~9.6 while shedding Kakko's what ~2.4 next year? Picks, roster players, high prospects especially if we're looking for retention.... seems like an incredible longshot. But looking forward to the TDL to see what we have roster wise going into the playoffs.

Anybody know the timeframe for when Zegras may return from injury, for shits and giggles?

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

chapelle-charlie-murphy.gif

Closer, but keep adding. Kakko and a 1st probably gets you Zegras. Now add for Vatrano (26 goals this year).

I would give Kakko, 2 1sts, and a mid level prospect for Zegras and a half-retained Vatrano.

That’s a high potential young center who is badly needed in this org, and a quality top 9 winger to bridge the gap from now until Othmann/Berard/Perreault bust down the door.

Panarin - Trocheck - Lafreniere

Kreider - Zibanejad - Vatrano

Cuylle - Zegras - Brodz

Next year

Panarin - Zegras - Lafreniere

Cuylle - Trocheck - Chytil/Oth

This is assuming KZVatrano works. You can break KZ up at any time. Two other centers who can distribute to choose from.

I had already accepted a month and a half ago when Zegras got hurt that it wasn’t going to happen. Now the hope is back so I can be disappointed by the soggy shit sandwich Drury winds up serving us. Fuck you guys.

Edited by BrooksBurner

4 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Cuylle - Zegras - Brodz

Next year

This is assuming KZVatrano works. You can break KZ up at any time. Two other centers who can distribute to choose from.

I had already accepted a month and a half ago when Zegras got hurt that it wasn’t going to happen. Now the hope is back so I can be disappointed by the soggy shit sandwich Drury winds up serving us. Fuck you guys.

Disappointed Let Down GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

• Bullseye 1

Right now the Rangers have just under $4.4M in cap space.   

So a deal of Kakko ($2.1M) and Jones ($.8M) plus their 2024 1st round pick, and 2024 4th rounder for Zegras ($5.75M) and Vatrano 50% retained ($1.825M) gets them within a few hundred thousand of the cap. 

Send Belzile down and it works just fine.

• JIMMY! 1

44 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I would give Kakko, 2 1sts, and a mid level prospect for Zegras and a half-retained Vatrano.

That’s a high potential young center who is badly needed in this org, and a quality top 9 winger to bridge the gap from now until Othmann/Berard/Perreault bust down the door.

I don't think you need two firsts, but yeah, something like this.

2 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Cuylle - Zegras - Brodz

Next year

You're very enamored with Zegras. 

I'm going to be taking action on how quickly you turn on him once you get to watch him play every night. 😄

Edited by Pete

I would never fault any GM for going after Zegras, fannies in the seats and popcorn selling.  Shit I’d love to watch that show. But making too drastic a change with this roster could backfire just as last year. I’m betting it’s just Valtrano and it’s not even Kakko on the block but maybe eyeballing a package with Rempe among others. 

16 minutes ago, Pete said:

You're very enamored with Zegras. 

I'm going to be taking action on how quickly you turn on him once you get to watch him play every night. 😄

It's not that I'm enamored per se, but for the things he lacks, he has talent in spades and has shown he can produce at a high clip (5v5 point totals would be 2nd only to Panarin on this team across the previous 2 seasons). There's a big ceiling there, and the warts can be cleaned up or made less bad as he develops (@Albatrosss has a topical ointment). I wouldn't expect him to ever be confused for a Selke candidate, but there's 90 point offensive talent there. You roll the dice on that, especially when the org has nobody for the future worth talking about down the middle with Chytil's status up in the air.

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, mbob said:

I would never fault any GM for going after Zegras, fannies in the seats and popcorn selling.  Shit I’d love to watch that show. But making too drastic a change with this roster could backfire just as last year. I’m betting it’s just Valtrano and it’s not even Kakko on the block but maybe eyeballing a package with Rempe among others. 

Agreed. I do think Zegras will be traded from Anaheim but I think it’ll be an off season move. Frankie V definitely coming here soon. And 100% not for Kakko.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

It's not that I'm enamored per se, but for the things he lacks, he has talent in spades and has shown he can produce at a high clip (5v5 point totals would be 2nd only to Panarin on this team across the previous 2 seasons). There's a big ceiling there, and the warts can be cleaned up or made less bad as he develops (@Albatrosss has a topical ointment). I wouldn't expect him to ever be confused for a Selke candidate, but there's 90 point offensive talent there. You roll the dice on that, especially when the org has nobody for the future worth talking about down the middle with Chytil's status up in the air.

I can see all that. I just think that it's hard to see you liking Zegras style if you didn't like Bread and Zib. He's just another guy who plays on the outside.

And I think it's a lot easier to play in Anaheim where there's zero expectations than in New York where everything who comes in is going to bring their best game, which is kind of the opposite of Anaheim. 

So I'm skeptical that there's a 90 point player there. It's not that I'm completely against it, I'm just skeptical.

But I'd trade Kakko in a package for him because he's young and dynamic.  

I can see all that. I just think that it's hard to see you liking Zegras style if you didn't like Bread and Zib. He's just another guy who plays on the outside.

And I think it's a lot easier to play in Anaheim where there's zero expectations than in New York where everything who comes in is going to bring their best game, which is kind of the opposite of Anaheim. 

So I'm skeptical that there's a 90 point player there. It's not that I'm completely against it, I'm just skeptical.

But I'd trade Kakko in a package for him because he's young and dynamic.  

That's just a misunderstanding. I have loved watching Bread since the day he signed. I just hate that he hasn't shown he can be effective or adjust as necessary in the playoffs. Yeah, I've thrown in the towel on thinking it will happen and wanted to trade him before his play declined (OK, he bucked the odds of age-based decline this year, but it doesn't mean that's safe from happening next year 😉), but hey, we are two months away from an opportunity for him to ram it up my poop chute. If he doesn't, and you thought I was insufferable last summer....eek. I'll hack your account just to put myself on the ignore list for you. Saying Zib is not a 1C at 5v5 doesn't mean I don't like him, or his game. He's actually a high quality two way mid-6 5v5 player, and an elite player at all other strengths. You don't have to believe me, but this is the truth on both players.

You're right. We don't know how Zegras' game will translate to a big market, but I think you gotta take the chance. I'd like to think he'd have no issue getting up every night playing for the team he grew up rooting for though. It might even make him take on a more serious attitude than the nonchalant one he's had as a kid in Anaheim. There's a quality veteran room and coaching staff here too, country club jokes aside.

26 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

That's just a misunderstanding. I have loved watching Bread since the day he signed. I just hate that he hasn't shown he can be effective or adjust as necessary in the playoffs. Yeah, I've thrown in the towel on thinking it will happen and wanted to trade him before his play declined (OK, he bucked the odds of age-based decline this year, but it doesn't mean that's safe from happening next year 😉), but hey, we are two months away from an opportunity for him to ram it up my poop chute. If he doesn't, and you thought I was insufferable last summer....eek. I'll hack your account just to put myself on the ignore list for you. Saying Zib is not a 1C at 5v5 doesn't mean I don't like him, or his game. He's actually a high quality two way mid-6 5v5 player, and an elite player at all other strengths. You don't have to believe me, but this is the truth on both players.

You're right. We don't know how Zegras' game will translate to a big market, but I think you gotta take the chance. I'd like to think he'd have no issue getting up every night playing for the team he grew up rooting for though. It might even make him take on a more serious attitude than the nonchalant one he's had as a kid in Anaheim. There's a quality veteran room and coaching staff here too, country club jokes aside.

I hear you.

It's been a common critique that this team won't play in the middle of the ice and he doesn't help that. He's also what you'd consider "soft".

But yea, agree on rolling the dice. I think Kakko is a player they'll regret trading, but if you get Zegras back and he's successful you just call it a wash.