• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ducks' Frank Vatrano and Adam Henrique on Rangers Radar

Would someone with The Athletic care to quote some of the article? I was able to see a quick peak at the article, in which it says that word around ASG Weekend was that the Rangers had reached out to the Ducks to inquire about Vatranos availability.

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • The Chyt! 1

• Phil changed the title to Ducks' Frank Vatrano and Adam Henrique on Rangers Radar

Word around All-Star Weekend was that the Rangers had inquired about Vatrano, who served them well two seasons ago as a deadline rental.

Acquiring Vatrano would, in theory, solve that issue for the rest of this season and through 2024-25 at a reasonable cap number ($3.65 million), so Drury could stop the constant search.

Even though the Vancouver Canucks and Winnipeg Jets surrendered their 2024 first-rounders for Lindholm and Monahan, it’s unlikely Drury would be willing to part with the Rangers’ first pick for Vatrano or Henrique. For both, though, you’d have to surrender the first and then some. Would it be as much as a first and Kakko, whom TSN reported as possibly being on the market ahead of the deadline? That feels like an overpay for a pending UFA in Henrique and one more year of Vatrano. Moving Kakko also diminishes the third line the Rangers are hoping to beef up with Henrique, which might not make much sense.

https://theathletic.com/5250447/2024/02/05/rangers-ducks-trade-vatrano-henrique/?source=emp_shared_article

• Thanks 1

Dealing Kakko in this deal would make little to no sense. It’s robbing Peter to pay Paul, at least in terms of the 3rd line. We have a hole at 3C that acquiring Henrique would fix, but dealing Kakko would also open a hole on one of the wings that we can’t fix in-house. I get that acquiring Vatrano also would be a get, and that you need to pay to acquire talent in this league. But I’m not interested in creating more big holes in the lineup, even if others are fixed. I get that Kakko isn’t everyone’s flavor of the week, rightfully so. But I’d be intrigued by a Cuylle-Henrique-Kakko trio, especially if Vatrano can come back and find that spark with Kreider and Zibanejad again.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Dealing Kakko in this deal would make little to no sense. It’s robbing Peter to pay Paul, at least in terms of the 3rd line. We have a hole at 3C that acquiring Henrique would fix, but dealing Kakko would also open a hole on one of the wings that we can’t fix in-house. I get that acquiring Vatrano also would be a get, and that you need to pay to acquire talent in this league. But I’m not interested in creating more big holes in the lineup, even if others are fixed. I get that Kakko isn’t everyone’s flavor of the week, rightfully so. But I’d be intrigued by a Cuylle-Henrique-Kakko trio, especially if Vatrano can come back and find that spark with Kreider and Zibanejad again.

I am fully on board moving Kakko if the right deal comes along.

But you are are right and I dont think this is that deal. Move kakko in the off season. Move picks and another prospect if need be in this move.

Zac Jones should be going the other way. The Ducks have zero offensive defenseman behind Fowler after trading Drysdale. 

Jones and some picks should get it done. I'd be OK throwing in a Sykora/Berard level prospect. 

Cuylle, Othmann, Perrault should be off the table in any deal for Vatrano and Henrique. 

• Bullseye 2
  • TroCheckmark 1
  • Keeps it 100 3

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

Zac Jones should be going the other way. The Ducks have zero offensive defenseman behind Fowler after trading Drysdale. 

Jones and some picks should get it done. I'd be OK throwing in a Sykora/Berard level prospect. 

Cuylle, Othmann, Perrault should be off the table in any deal for Vatrano and Henrique. 

I'm on board with this.  I'm not moving Kakko either....We need a RW...giving up one right now isn't really a fix.

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

Zellweger is most definitely their offensive defenseman of future, and Mintyukov is there with him. Not sure they really have so much use for Jones.

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

I agree. Sykora or Berard would be tough to give up but I think I would be okay with it in this deal.

Vatrano would be here next year on a fair AAV. It would (hopefully) give some silence to the revolving door up on the top line. And it would add some punch for now too.

10 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Agreed. As much as I'm not totally sold on Henrique, I'm interested in seeing that 3rd line together.

Just now, RangerDanger said:

Agreed. As much as I'm not totally sold on Henrique, I'm interested in seeing that 3rd line together.

I’m in same boat. Would I like a bigger body who plays a more grinding style? Yes I would. But Henrique brings scoring punch to a 3rd line currently floating out minor league fodder in Brodzinski. I think having him center Cuylle and Kakko could be interesting. All 3 can finish, one  winger has size, one is good defensively. I feel like they all collectively bring some strengths to the table which would be interesting as a 3rd line.

4 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Zellweger is most definitely their offensive defenseman of future, and Mintyukov is there with him. Not sure they really have so much use for Jones.

They definitely do. Prospects don't always pan out and Fowler won't be there forever. 

I'm really looking forward to having Vatrano back.  I really liked his game when he was here.  Not to mention getting Cuylle a true 3C that can help him out as well!

I have a feeling Drury is going to make a very good deal here and not spend the future. 

Edited by Ozzy
  • TroCheckmark 1

4 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I agree. Sykora or Berard would be tough to give up but I think I would be okay with it in this deal.

Vatrano would be here next year on a fair AAV. It would (hopefully) give some silence to the revolving door up on the top line. And it would add some punch for now too.

I don't think either of those players have an irreplaceable skill set. 

Fans always get excited by these little guys that are supposed to be shit disturbers with motors that never stop, but how many of them ever pan out? Especially the smaller ones. 

I’m not moving Berard or Sykora. Team speed is an issue that extends across the organization and I’m not trading the two fastest prospects on the team who are close to NHL graduation. I get there’s a price to winning, but this isn’t the deal that’s really worth it to the Rangers.

Just now, Drew a Penalty said:

I’m not moving Berard or Sykora. Team speed is an issue that extends across the organization and I’m not trading the two fastest prospects on the team who are close to NHL graduation. I get there’s a price to winning, but this isn’t the deal that’s really worth it to the Rangers.

Sorry but guys who are fast and literally nothing else are not hard to replace. 

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

They definitely do. Prospects don't always pan out and Fowler won't be there forever. 

Mintyukov has been there this season and is just injured. I’m pretty sure he’s what gave convinced them they’d be alright trading Drysdale. Zellweger is up and playing on their first pair now. I don’t think they need Jones that badly.

6 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Except they’re not “nothing else.” What a short-sighted comment.

They both project to be bottom six forwards and they're tiny. The Rangers don't have picks. They're going to have to give something up to get these players.

If your solution is just not to make a trade because you don't want to give up these guys, then that's not a solution. They clearly have holes to fill today. 

This fanbase has a habit of overvaluing and falling in love with dime a dozen players. There's nothing special about these guys that can't be replaced. 

I'm not saying to trade both of them, but saying you wouldn't trade either of them is pretty ridiculous. 

Edited by Pete

2 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Fully preparing myself for Perreault/1st/3rd for Henrique/Vatrano (50% retained on both) because Drury sucks.

He has literally never overpaid in a trade, outside of Buch. 

• Keeps it 100 2