• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ducks' Frank Vatrano and Adam Henrique on Rangers Radar

I hope it's just picks...I really like Edstrom, and I doubt they move Kakko.  But I'm with @Kevin...they trade Kakko, and I'm gonna break a fucking blood vessel in my head!

Here Pat, take a 2nd and a 4th and give us Frankie V.  I 'm good!

I don't want Henrique...

21 minutes ago, siddious said:

And whatever drugs you’re on to think kakko is worth 1 first rounder, never the less 2 🤣🤣

19 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

A second overall for a second overall is only fair. 🤣

I know it's cool to kick around Kakko but the fact is he's just 23 years old. Go look at Sean Coutourier's stats and you'll see some similarity as he was an 8OA who started out in the league as a defensive forward because he came into a pretty good team. He didn't score 30 until he was 25 going on 26.

No, the stats/progression isn't apples to apples, but progression isn't always linear. Sometimes it's 2 steps forwards, 3 back, 5 forwards.

Simply put, the idea you know who a player is at 23 isn't really a fact. There are a lot of late bloomers. Blake Wheeler was one. Brand Marchand. Ryan and Dylan Strome didn't have their best seasons until they were 26/27.

Why not see it as his best hockey is in front of him, instead of acting like this season is what he is?

1 minute ago, Pete said:

I know it's cool to kick around Kakko but the fact is he's just 23 years old. Go look at Sean Coutourier's stats and you'll see some similarity as he was an 8OA who started out in the league as a defensive forward because he came into a pretty good team. He didn't score 30 until he was 25 going on 26.

No, the stats/progression isn't apples to apples, but progression isn't always linear. Sometimes it's 2 steps forwards, 3 back, 5 forwards.

Simply put, the idea you know who a player is at 23 isn't really a fact. There are a lot of late bloomers. Blake Wheeler was one. Brand Marchand. Ryan and Dylan Strome didn't have their best seasons until they were 26/27.

Why not see it as his best hockey is in front of him, instead of acting like this season is what he is?

I have no doubt he will be a decent NHL’r. Maybe even a 30-30 guy. But if the right deal

is to be had to help this team win now I’m all

for it. I’m in no rush to move him otherwise. 

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

I was joking. Ideally, I do not want him moved if they can help it.

2 minutes ago, siddious said:

I have no doubt he will be a decent NHL’r. Maybe even a 30-30 guy. But if the right deal

is to be had to help this team win now I’m all

for it. I’m in no rush to move him otherwise. 

They're adding a RW because there's a hole there.  Trading a roster RW to fill that hole doesn't make any sense. 

• VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 3

15 hours ago, Phil said:

How about fucking no to Henrique, ever, for any reason?

Hey Boss

Look back and see when the last time Henrique played in a playoff game...

I'll save you the trouble:  12 YEARS AGO!  (2012)  UGH!

12 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

They're adding a RW because there's a hole there.  Trading a roster RW to fill that hole doesn't make any sense. 

The hole is where Kakko is currently slotted at 2RW, so it makes plenty of sense to trade him for the right upgrade. They can get by with the other non-Kakko options they have at 3RW.

It probably just makes more sense to move Kakko back to the 3rd line and try to upgrade 2RW another way, if it's for a rental that is.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

5 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

They need a top 6 RW.  Vesey and Kakko aren't the answer.  If they really are going all in the only question is who they end up with.  My gut feeling is Vatrano is going to be the guy.

It's becoming kinda clear that they are asking the wrong question. The right question isn't "Who can we play with CK+MZ", it's "how can we create the best lineup?"

They are spending too much time revisiting that 1RW and not spending enough time testing splitting CK and MZ.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Pete said:

It's becoming kinda clear that they are asking the wrong question. The right question isn't "Who can we play with CK+MZ", it's "how can we create the best lineup?"

They are spending too much time revisiting that 1RW and not spending enough time testing splitting CK and MZ.

You are more than likely right but it’s painfully obvious they aren't splitting them up.  

Edited by RJWantsTheCup

40 minutes ago, Pete said:

While I don’t disagree, and while this isn’t a knock on Gallant or Quinn or Laviolette, I think the fair money to bet is on that even if they are split up, the second there is a lull in scoring for us come playoff time that they will be thrown back together anyway. 

24 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

While I don’t disagree, and while this isn’t a knock on Gallant or Quinn or Laviolette, I think the fair money to bet is on that even if they are split up, the second there is a lull in scoring for us come playoff time that they will be thrown back together anyway. 

And that's always been the case. They have been split up before, and they are much better when they are reunited. 

23 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I think we're about to see a framework along the lines of Vatrano and Henrique, both half retained, for Kakko.

I don't even like Kakko, but this would be a dangerous, dangerous trade. I can understand why this might be what they do, and I agree, it feels likely, but good lord does this feel similar to the Buch deal with regard to its risk level.

I will say this, though: Verbeek personally scouting the same game Kakko gets elevated to the first line stinks to high hell. I don't think we really need to ask "who is he looking at?"

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

That would be a brutal deal. 

Absolutely, but I see the short and long term logic if Drury is meh on Kakko while high on the other winger prospects. Drury reportedly taking calls on Kakko kind of suggests that. By the way, I don't think he would have even been taking calls if Lavi was delivering glowing reports about him.

• Keeps it 100 1

I don't think a Vatrano and Henrique deal would include Kakko.  If Verbeek is scouting, I'm thinking something bigger is brewing like Kakko, Jones, a first, and maybe a later round pick for a package of Vatrano with 50% retension and Zigras.

• JIMMY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

I'm sorry, but Zegras and Kakko aren't remotely in the same stratosphere. I get not wanting to "sell low" on Kakko — which is what I'm hinting at when I talk about the idea of him going for Vatrano + Henrique 🤮 — but the gap between that and Zegras is orders of magnitude.

Zegras, for all his faults, is a career 0.73 P/GP player with two 60+ point seasons under his belt (back-to-back). He scored 20+ goals in each of them.

Kakko is a 0.39 P/GP player who has never scored 20 goals and who's career high is 40 points in 82 games. He has seven goals in nearly 40 games this season — a 14- or 15-goal pace over 82 games (depending on how you round).

If the Rangers want Zegras, they're adding to Kakko to get him.

• Bullseye 2

1 minute ago, Phil said:

I'm sorry, but Zegras and Kakko aren't remotely in the same stratosphere. I get not wanting to "sell low" on Kakko — which is what I'm hinting at when I talk about the idea of him going for Vatrano + Henrique 🤮 — but the gap between that and Zegras is orders of magnitude.

Zegras, for all his faults, is a career 0.73 P/GP player with two 60+ point seasons under his belt (back-to-back). He scored 20+ goals in each of them.

Kakko is a 0.39 P/GP player who has never scored 20 goals and who's career high is 40 points in 82 games. He has seven goals in nearly 40 games this season — a 14- or 15-goal pace over 82 games (depending on how you round).

If the Rangers want Zegras, they're adding to Kakko to get him.

You are right, they aren't in the same league, that is why a first would have to go Anaheims way along with Kakko and Jones and probably another piece.

• Keeps it 100 1

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I hope it's just picks...I really like Edstrom, and I doubt they move Kakko.  But I'm with @Kevin...they trade Kakko, and I'm gonna break a fucking blood vessel in my head!

Here Pat, take a 2nd and a 4th and give us Frankie V.  I 'm good!

I don't want Henrique...

Zegras and Vatrano is a deal I'd like to see but you can't deal a RW for a RW. We need depth at that position not a 1 for 1 trade. This is why I don't understand with Othmann hasn't been up here trying his hand at RW. It would.open up other possibilities.