• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ducks' Frank Vatrano and Adam Henrique on Rangers Radar

Just saw Kakko in a nutshell.

Great play to control puck, very choppy stick handling, fans on the pass. It's just too quick for him to take the next step, he can't process stuff at the speed required.

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Nope. Would need a third team to retain. 

We still have our 4th, 5th and 6th rounder for retention to another team.  As an old bass player once put it:  We can Work it out!  😃

I have to believe that the offers Anaheim were receiving for Vatrano were well below what Verbeek is asking and they are planning on keeping him.  Why the hell would they use 1 of their 3 retension spots on Sam Carrick ($425,000 retained) if they would possibly need that spot to make a bigger deal, like one for Vatrano?

I get that they can use a third team to retain but that just makes any deal more expensive as assets have to go to the retaining team.

• Keeps it 100 1

27 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I think we still have room, no?

They send Rempe down they’ll have ~3.6. Plenty to cover a half retained Guentzel (3m).

There’s a legit chance but I’m terrified of the price.

Edit: Thought this was in the Guentzel thread, but as far as Vatrano, it'd be shaving hairs to fit him at his full hit.

Edited by BrooksBurner

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

They send Rempe down they’ll have ~3.6. Plenty to cover a half retained Guentzel (3m).

There’s a legit chance but I’m terrified of the price

I think you need to be prepared to see Othmann traded. 

1 minute ago, Pete said:

I think you need to be prepared to see Othmann traded. 

I'd fucking hate it and it'd be stupid, but at least I would have some level of respect for Drury hanging his sack out there if he believes that strongly about the team (even though he shouldn't feel that way 🙂). Pussyfooting in the middle and being non-committal is worse than picking a lane.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

2 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I'd fucking hate it and it'd be stupid, but at least I would have some level of respect for Drury hanging his sack out there if he believes that strongly about the team (even though he shouldn't feel that way 🙂). Pussyfooting in the middle and being non-committal is worse than picking a lane.

I'm conflicted. You're getting a top line winger for a prospect who projects to be middle six but more like bottom six, but he's the kind of player we've waited for forever.

There's also a bunch of data that suggests deadline acquisitions rarely contribute to Cup wins. Barbashev is like an outlier. Vermette is more likely. 

So I have a real hard time emptying the coffers of real prospects for a deadline rentals. The only way it works is if you can extend him, and that's a whole other mess for a new thread. 

Edited by Pete

Question: with the cap going up and with Goodrow likely being removed from the roster in the off-season, would the Rangers have any chance of at least being in the neighborhood on an extension with Guentzel if they ever were to acquire him?

15 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Question: with the cap going up and with Goodrow likely being removed from the roster in the off-season, would the Rangers have any chance of at least being in the neighborhood on an extension with Guentzel if they ever were to acquire him?

They'd have to move Kreider or Trouba

9 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Trying to link the Emily Kaplan article, but just read that the Ducks did offer the Rangers both Henrique and Vatrano for our 1st and Kakko. Drury obviously turned it down, which I agree with. 

I would think.

Again… I in no way get why he’s even remotely rumored to be in play now at this trade deadline.

Off-season deal?

Ok.

But you have a glaring hole and lack of depth at RW… so the solution is to trade a RW for a RW… thereby creating a situation where you still need yet another RW.

10 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

I would think.

Again… I in no way get why he’s even remotely rumored to be in play now at this trade deadline.

Off-season deal?

Ok.

But you have a glaring hole and lack of depth at RW… so the solution is to trade a RW for a RW… thereby creating a situation where you still need yet another RW.

They have plenty of 3rd line caliber RWs. Getting rid of one isn't a problem. Need a top line-ish RW. That's the disconnect.  

Much like how they could deal the 30 point offensive D man that plays on the 2nd pair, because the guy on the 3rd pair can step in his place and it wouldn't be a big drop off. Wouldn't kill them to push the current 7th D to the 6th or just trade for a 6th. 

Miller & Kakko

For

Vatrano (1/2 retained) & Zegras. 

Zegras to the RW in the near future where he will wind up anyway. 

Edited by The Dude

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

They have plenty of 3rd line caliber RWs. Getting rid of one isn't a problem. Need a top line-ish RW. That's the disconnect.  

Much like how they could deal the 30 point offensive D man that plays on the 2nd pair, because the guy on the 3rd pair can step in his place and it wouldn't be a big drop off. Wouldn't kill them to push the current 7th D to the 6th or just trade for a 6th. 

Miller & Kakko

For

Vatrano (1/2 retained) & Zegras. 

Zegras to the RW in the near future where he will wind up anyway. 

I think Drury would get fired instantaneously for that trade. In fact I kinda want to fire you from this board for suggesting it.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • LMFAO 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

41 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I think Drury would get fired instantaneously for that trade. In fact I kinda want to fire you from this board for suggesting it.

Cool. I was wrong once before too. 

Let go of Kakko. It's not going to happen here. It's going to take a first to get Vatrano in any capacity. Is Kakko going to net a 1st in trade? The answer is no. 

So, if you wouldn't trade Miller for Zegras, and the equivalent of a 1st rounder for a retained Vatrano.... What exactly are you willing to trade?