• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Filip Chytil Out for Remainder of Season Following Setback in Recovery From Concussion

RichieNextel305

2 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Call me crazy but I still don’t call this encouraging news yet. He’s been skating for weeks/months. So this isn’t really anything new. Still doesn’t mean he’s anywhere close to being able to take contact of any kind IMO.

Crazy

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

This whole Chytil thing is strange. The Rangers are sitting back and waiting for him to come back. I just don't get the whole "Czech reset".  This doesn't happen. Why's he over there? 

He's over there because he had two concussions this season and should likely not play again this season.  He probably should have been over there from when it became clear he had actually suffered another concussion.  That's a tough place to get too though because the Rangers definitely wanted him back at some point even after the 2 concussions.  Sending him home was an admission that his return this season was much less likely.

I have no idea what the contractual ramifications of him here vs there or playing next season vs tacitly calling it a career are.

15 hours ago, Br4d said:

He's over there because he had two concussions this season and should likely not play again this season.  He probably should have been over there from when it became clear he had actually suffered another concussion.  That's a tough place to get too though because the Rangers definitely wanted him back at some point even after the 2 concussions.  Sending him home was an admission that his return this season was much less likely.

I have no idea what the contractual ramifications of him here vs there or playing next season vs tacitly calling it a career are.

He won't retire. He's got 13M or so more coming his way. He's either on LTIR or on the ice for the Rangers. 

1 minute ago, LindG1000 said:

He won't retire. He's got 13M or so more coming his way. He's either on LTIR or on the ice for the Rangers. 

That's what I meant by tacitly.  If he goes he will be on LTIR for the next 3 seasons after this.

This is just me, but I think that Chytil will be back during the Jan. 28-Feb. 4 bye period/All-Star break and start to practice with the team in short order, presuming he is medically cleared.

At this juncture, and off the picture that said 1,000 words in whatever language he was speaking at the time, it seems a matter of “when” Chytil rejoins the lineup, not “if.”

And I’d expect him to center the third line between Will Cuylle on the left and Blake Wheeler on the right. That would leave head coach Peter Laviolette with multiple candidates for the fourth line — including Jimmy Vesey, Barclay Goodrow, Nick Bonino, Jonny Brodzinksi and Tyler Pitlick.

https://nypost.com/2024/01/17/sports/rangers-should-have-one-simple-kaapo-kakko-message/

7 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

If Chytil fights back from this and returns this year, puts his health on the line, don't be tying Blake Wheeler to him. Brutal.

I mean, I tend to agree, but I'm not sure what alternative they have other than to bury Wheeler on the fourth line and maybe put Jimmy Vesey up?

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

I mean, I tend to agree, but I'm not sure what alternative they have other than to bury Wheeler on the fourth line and maybe put Jimmy Vesey up?

Chytil is a scoring center. If he's actually coming back, the goal needs to remain the same as it was when the season started. Don't put him with spare parts like Blake Wheeler and then ask why the Chytil line has trouble establishing a forecheck.

I like Vesey a lot. I think he should have been on the Kreider-Zibanejad line a long time ago, and don't understand why he hasn't been leveraged more. I'd settle for KZ-Vesey and Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko, but I think I'd rather see something more drastic:

Vesey-Zibanejad-Kakko

Panarin-Trocheck-Lafreniere

Kreider-Chytil-Cuylle

• Applause 1

I can't tell if this is exciting or stupid. 

I really enjoy watching him play, and he's a damn good hockey player that we need, but he's 24. He's got his whole life ahead of him, and it feels like he's one more concussion from serious damage to his quality of life.

I hope for his sake that Brooks is right and that he can do what he loves to do, but it's always going to feel like he's skating on eggshells.

• Keeps it 100 1

9 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

I can't tell if this is exciting or stupid. 

I really enjoy watching him play, and he's a damn good hockey player that we need, but he's 24. He's got his whole life ahead of him, and it feels like he's one more concussion from serious damage to his quality of life.

I hope for his sake that Brooks is right and that he can do what he loves to do, but it's always going to feel like he's skating on eggshells.

It was very similar with Zibanejad

I think we all have the same feeling for Chytil from a personal standpoint right now where we all have concerns about him moving forward as far as his quality of life goes.

But selfishly, from a Ranger standpoint, this is bordering on not being good news. Because the truth is Chytil is one clean hit away from being out long-term again. He has had issues with injuries essentially from Day 1 in the NHL. This is an important year and our biggest need is likely right where Chytil can slot in. So in one aspect, him coming back can be huge because it can save us assets and draft capital if he’s able to come back healthy. But on the other hand, with this being such a crucial year to make noise and hopefully get the job done, you can’t help but feel like saving the money from Chytils cap hit for a deadline rental who is a bit more reliable when it comes to injuries is the safer move for the franchise moving into the faster paced, more physical playoffs.

A real fork-in-the-road moment for the season may be coming soon.

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Like 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Chytil is a scoring center. If he's actually coming back, the goal needs to remain the same as it was when the season started. Don't put him with spare parts like Blake Wheeler and then ask why the Chytil line has trouble establishing a forecheck.

I like Vesey a lot. I think he should have been on the Kreider-Zibanejad line a long time ago, and don't understand why he hasn't been leveraged more. I'd settle for KZ-Vesey and Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko, but I think I'd rather see something more drastic:

Vesey-Zibanejad-Kakko

Panarin-Trocheck-Lafreniere

Kreider-Chytil-Cuylle

Realistically that's not happening. I'd look at it more as tying Wheeler, who can't skate, to guys who can. And let him get them the puck. Chytil desperately needs someone to feed him so he isn't over-carrying the puck trying to make his own chances. I think Cuylle-Chytil-Wheeler gives you decent speed center and left, and someone who can at least make plays on the right. Wheeler would work best on a line that forechecks and cycles, not an line that likes to play off the rush like CK/MZ.

5 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I think we all have the same feeling for Chytil from a personal standpoint right now where we all have concerns about him moving forward as far as his quality of life goes.

But selfishly, from a Ranger standpoint, this is bordering on not being good news. Because the truth is Chytil is one clean hit away from being out long-term again. He has had issues with injuries essentially from Day 1 in the NHL. This is an important year and our biggest need is likely right where Chytil can slot in. So in one aspect, him coming back can be huge because it can save us assets and draft capital if he’s able to come back healthy. But on the other hand, with this being such a crucial year to make noise and hopefully get the job done, you can’t help but feel like saving the money from Chytils cap hit for a deadline rental who is a bit more reliable when it comes to injuries is the safer move for the franchise moving into the faster paced, more physical playoffs.

A real fork-in-the-road moment for the season may be coming soon.

Great point, and that doesn't mean Chytil has to wait until next year to get back on the ice. He just has to wait two more months and come back for the playoffs. If something doesn't feel right or he can't go, then no sweat. The team is prepared.

Here's a theory I just conjured up. Maybe he's got Jagr out there working with him on how to be a right winger

• JIMMY! 1

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Great point, and that doesn't mean Chytil has to wait until next year to get back on the ice. He just has to wait two more months and come back for the playoffs. If something doesn't feel right or he can't go, then no sweat. The team is prepared.

Here's a theory I just conjured up. Maybe he's got Jagr out there working with him on how to be a right winger

Would also mean the Rangers can focus on just back-filling with an affordable 3C and push Wheeler back to a third- or even fourth-line role. Basically, get Monahan or Tommy Novak and let's cook.

28 minutes ago, Phil said:

Would also mean the Rangers can focus on just back-filling with an affordable 3C and push Wheeler back to a third- or even fourth-line role. Basically, get Monahan or Tommy Novak and let's cook.

Tommy Novak would be the guy I'd be after. Not Monahan.