• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Filip Chytil Out for Remainder of Season Following Setback in Recovery From Concussion

RichieNextel305

2. When Chytil is cleared for a return to active duty — barring setbacks, the second week of February seems a reasonable target date — general manager Chris Drury will face an immediate personnel decision unless the hierarchy opts to go with a 23-man roster that would limit cap space.

Presupposing good health, the call seems to place either Jonny Brodzinski or Tyler Pitlick on waivers. Brodzinski has added the important element of speed in the middle to the equation over the last two games after having been moved off the wing by head coach Peter Laviolette, but it’s very unlikely that Brodzinski would remain at center upon Chytil’s return.

https://nypost.com/2024/01/24/sports/alexis-lafrenieres-finishing-touch-has-evaporated-in-rangers-problem/

Call me crazy, but as I said in another thread, the 4th line was at its best when Pitlick was there. He’s a plug-in player, and I get that. But it seemed like that line was clicking when he and Vesey were together with either Goodrow or Bonino. I know Brodzinski probably has more value to the organization as a whole. But I really liked the way that 4th line was humming when Pitlick was on it. There seemed to be cohesion, there was physicality and anytime we needed an energy shift where we can keep the puck buried, they were relied upon. It hasn’t been like that for a bit, and it kind of goes hand in hand with when Pitlick went down and out of the lineup.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I thought Pitlick was playing some of his best hockey when he got hurt, just wasn't translating on the scoresheet. 

It was the first time I can remember the Rangers have anything that resembled what you can call an energy line. If we needed some life breathed into the game, that line provided it. We haven’t had that in weeks now.

1 minute ago, Pete said:

They should cut ties with Bonino. But they won't.

Brodzinski probably stays as a 4th line C/RW

Bonino is looking worse than Wheeler.  Both of them should probably be gone but they need a RW to replace Wheeler and Bonino is needed as insurance in case Chytil gets hurt again or doesn’t actually make it back

Just now, RJWantsTheCup said:

Bonino is looking worse than Wheeler.  Both of them should probably be gone but they need a RW to replace Wheeler and Bonino is needed as insurance in case Chytil gets hurt again or doesn’t actually make it back

Regardless, makes Pitlick the odd man out... 

In an ideal world, Goodrow would be meeting the standard to be a 3rd line contributor. But he hasn’t. So having him center the 4th line with Vesey and Pitlick, which was effective earlier in the year, is a smart play.

I still don’t know about Wheeler on that top line. I have my doubts. And the truth is this: when Chytil returns, and with Kakko now also back, if Wheeler can’t crack it on the top line, really, where does he play and where does he fit?

Just now, RichieNextel305 said:

In an ideal world, Goodrow would be meeting the standard to be a 3rd line contributor. But he hasn’t. So having him center the 4th line with Vesey and Pitlick, which was effective earlier in the year, is a smart play.

I still don’t know about Wheeler on that top line. I have my doubts. And the truth is this: when Chytil returns, and with Kakko now also back, if Wheeler can’t crack it on the top line, really, where does he play and where does he fit?

Unfortunately Laviolette seems to be grasping at some straws now with Wheeler on the top line. 

I think Goodrow can play on the third line. He has shitty stats because he has shitty usage. He also wasn't able to eat solid food for like 6 weeks, so I'm sure there's an element of missing strength and nutrition there. 

Just now, Pete said:

They have to waive one of them to fit Chytil. 

I know it won’t happened, but why not waive Wheeler?

I may be in the minority, and I said it in another thread that I know he’s a plug in type, but Pitlick plays a role in the spot that’s open for him on the 4th line. If Wheeler can’t cut the mustard again up with Mika and Kreider, and if he has no home on the 3rd line wings (presumably with Kakko and Cuylle), then what exactly is his role? Slide him to the 4th line for a role he isn’t familiar with to displace Pitlick who is familiar with the role? I’m not so sure.

1 minute ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I know it won’t happened, but why not waive Wheeler?

I may be in the minority, and I said it in another thread that I know he’s a plug in type, but Pitlick plays a role in the spot that’s open for him on the 4th line. If Wheeler can’t cut the mustard again up with Mika and Kreider, and if he has no home on the 3rd line wings (presumably with Kakko and Cuylle), then what exactly is his role? Slide him to the 4th line for a role he isn’t familiar with to displace Pitlick who is familiar with the role? I’m not so sure.

I'm just reading the article and the tea leaves. Wheeler is practicing on the top line. The chances are he isn't getting waived. 

22 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Call me crazy, but as I said in another thread, the 4th line was at its best when Pitlick was there. He’s a plug-in player, and I get that. But it seemed like that line was clicking when he and Vesey were together with either Goodrow or Bonino. I know Brodzinski probably has more value to the organization as a whole. But I really liked the way that 4th line was humming when Pitlick was on it. There seemed to be cohesion, there was physicality and anytime we needed an energy shift where we can keep the puck buried, they were relied upon. It hasn’t been like that for a bit, and it kind of goes hand in hand with when Pitlick went down and out of the lineup.

Bonino should be the cut, but every coach has a guy who everyone knows is bad except the coach. That's Bonino for Lavi.

Brodzinski has been effective. I don't think they risk losing him because he can play center in a pinch. As you said, Pitlick has been effective on the 4th line, but it feels like he's the cut to feed Lavi's Bonino addiction. 

Pan-Tro-Laf

Kreider-Zib-Kakko

Cuylle-Chytil-Wheeler

Goodrow-Bonino-Vesey

Brodz

Would be my guess lineup (I hate it).

17 minutes ago, Pete said:

I'm just reading the article and the tea leaves. Wheeler is practicing on the top line. The chances are he isn't getting waived. 

That’s one line of thought. But my question is if that line once again does not click, where exactly does he fit on this roster? I’m looking at it almost as if Wheeler is a placeholder at the moment.

I know I’m going to go with a few “if” situations here, but I don’t think any of them are all too far fetched:

1: IF Wheeler once against doesn’t fit on the Kreider/Zibanejad line

2: IF Kakko and Cuylle play well together with Chytil on the 3rd line

3: IF Pitlick-Goodrow-Vesey once again find the spark they had at the beginning of the season where they formed a solid 4th line that brought physicality, energy and the ability to defend well

IF those all occur, where exactly is Wheeler fitting on this roster? I get that he’s a better player than Pitlick. But if the opening is on the 4th line, and Pitlick is a better option for there, are we doing the right thing by waiving him and keeping Wheeler when he fills a hole we have and Wheeler isn’t fitting in anywhere on the roster?

Edited by RichieNextel305

19 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Not sure why Vesey doesn’t get a chance with Kreider and Zibanejad?

Panarin-Trocheck-Lafraniere

Kreider-Zibanejad-Vesey

Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko

Goodrow-Brodzinski-Pitlick

Wheeler 13th forward

If Bonino is actually cut, I like it.

1 hour ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Not sure why Vesey doesn’t get a chance with Kreider and Zibanejad?

Panarin-Trocheck-Lafraniere

Kreider-Zibanejad-Vesey

Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko

Goodrow-Brodzinski-Pitlick

Wheeler 13th forward

This is probably a solid lineup, I just don't see them waiving/sitting Bonino and Wheeler. They should. But they won't.

EDIT: Just saw Bonino was waived so I'll shut the fuck up now.

Edited by Pete
  • LMFAO 3
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RichieNextel305 said:

That’s one line of thought. But my question is if that line once again does not click, where exactly does he fit on this roster? I’m looking at it almost as if Wheeler is a placeholder at the moment.

I know I’m going to go with a few “if” situations here, but I don’t think any of them are all too far fetched:

1: IF Wheeler once against doesn’t fit on the Kreider/Zibanejad line

2: IF Kakko and Cuylle play well together with Chytil on the 3rd line

3: IF Pitlick-Goodrow-Vesey once again find the spark they had at the beginning of the season where they formed a solid 4th line that brought physicality, energy and the ability to defend well

IF those all occur, where exactly is Wheeler fitting on this roster? I get that he’s a better player than Pitlick. But if the opening is on the 4th line, and Pitlick is a better option for there, are we doing the right thing by waiving him and keeping Wheeler when he fills a hole we have and Wheeler isn’t fitting in anywhere on the roster?

He doesn't fit, he stopped fitting when everyone saw how slow he is. But...They ain't waivin' him.

EDIT: Maybe they do waive Wheeler....

Edited by Pete

18 minutes ago, Pete said:

This is probably a solid lineup, I just don't see them waiving/sitting Bonino and Wheeler. They should. But they won't.

EDIT: Just saw Bonino was waived so I'll shut the fuck up now.

This might be my favorite post you've ever made

• LOL 1
  • LMFAO 2