• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Filip Chytil Out for Remainder of Season Following Setback in Recovery From Concussion

RichieNextel305

I mean really its at the point where unless they can be confident hes not just going to be concussed immediately again he should def. not return. Forget hockey, theres no reason to voluntarily put your life in danger. And its no help to the Ranger if he comes back and gets injured too. Take all the time you need and I hope he/they figures it out.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, siddious said:

I mean really its at the point where unless they can be confident hes not just going to be concussed immediately again he should def. not return. Forget hockey, theres no reason to voluntarily put your life in danger. And its no help to the Ranger if he comes back and gets injured too. Take all the time you need and I hope he/they figures it out.

It’s dicey. As concussions are.

The more you get, the worse they get, and the less it takes to get another, as general rules go. 

But… he could wake up one day and feel great. 

He could step on the ice again and play 10+ years and never get another one.

Or the symptoms could never subside.

Or he could have everything go well, get back on the ice, and get another in 5 games. 

But also… it’s dangerous and unpredictable and the long-term health implications are very serious.

I think they’ve handled him well. I think they’ve done right by him.

And I think the reset of letting him go back to Europe and all of that is a good idea.

It’s also good that he can skate on his own sone and make a long, Transatlantic flight at this stage. Normally during the worst part of being concussed, flying is a no go. So there’s some progress.

Im not expecting him back this season.

But I think he can probably play again. 

Edited by RangersIn7

The speak from the org has been that they think he makes it back this year. I would think if it's as serious as career threatening, they would be a lot more vague and wouldn't even mention a timetable whatsoever.

The skeptic in me wonders if they are handling this in a way that 1) gives Chytil more than enough time that he needs to recover, and 2) allows them to play the LTIR game for an advantage and extra rest for Chytil can't hurt.

Edited by BrooksBurner

57 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

The speak from the org has been that they think he makes it back this year. I would think if it's as serious as career threatening, they would be a lot more vague and wouldn't even mention a timetable whatsoever.

The skeptic in me wonders if they are handling this in a way that 1) gives Chytil more than enough time that he needs to recover, and 2) allows them to play the LTIR game for an advantage and extra rest for Chytil can't hurt.

That’s a possibility.

The team isn't going to admit that he's out for the season because it will put them at a disadvantage if they try to make a deal. When a team is drowning no one is throwing a life preserver, everybody wants to toss you an anvil. 

Laviolette has said they're "hopeful" he returns this year, I don't see that as a positive remark. It's hope. 

• TroCheckmark 1

51 minutes ago, Pete said:

The team isn't going to admit that he's out for the season because it will put them at a disadvantage if they try to make a deal. When a team is drowning no one is throwing a life preserver, everybody wants to toss you an anvil. 

Agreed. Unless your Jeff Gorton. Then you take out a full page ad to tell everyone you're packing it in so maximum trade value lol. 

59 minutes ago, Pete said:

Laviolette has said they're "hopeful" he returns this year, I don't see that as a positive remark. It's hope. 

Of course…

But they’re not going to play it otherwise if it’s not. 

54 minutes ago, Pete said:

Just now, Keirik said:

Agreed. Unless your Jeff Gorton. Then you take out a full page ad to tell everyone you're packing it in so maximum trade value lol. 

I mean its phil chytil. I like the guy but hes not zib or igor. im pretty sure all the other GM's know the rangers need to fill a hole at center

• Keeps it 100 1

It's a good sign he was skating on his own and able to take the long flight when it comes to healing enough to do normal day to day things. Even at that we don't know if he was experiencing any symptoms like lightheadedness, headaches, being disoriented after exerting himself. There are so many variables.

From a hockey standpoint he barely made contact at that triggered this kind of result, that's a terrible sign. I would have little to no confidence in him being able to be counted on going forward.  That's all secondary of course. His only asset value at this point is the possible LTIR cap relief.  Very unfortunate on all fronts.

The joke I made on the other thread a while back is imagine if the Rangers finally manage to play 4d salary cap chess like the lightning did on their run to the Cup, or the knights did that one year, except instead of getting back players like Nikita Kucherov, Brayden Point, or Mark Stone for free off the books, we get... Chytil and Kakko.

It just makes me giggle every time 

41 minutes ago, siddious said:

I mean its phil chytil. I like the guy but hes not zib or igor. im pretty sure all the other GM's know the rangers need to fill a hole at center

Agree. Leverage would be more valid if the Rangers' season was slipping away because of the injury. Clearly that's not the case. If anything, it makes it easier to complete a reasonable trade because most competing teams are up against the cap and have to negotiate retention. The Rangers won't. Any leverage a trade partner will have will be what it always is around the deadline, and that's how many other teams are bidding and what they are offering.

3 hours ago, Pete said:

But if they're making a deal..... it's admission that he's done for the season. 

The second Drury calls and inquiries about a decent center, the cats out the bag. Nevermind the salary they would be willing to absorb also tells the other GM how desperate Drury is. 

Edited by The Dude

1 hour ago, siddious said:

Bonino has been playing center on the 3rd line for like 20 games now.  If that's not a flashing red light that the Rangers need help at center nothing is.   Really having Goodrow at center on the 4th line for most of that is just another flashing red light although 4th line centers aren't that hard to find if you really go looking.

19 minutes ago, The Dude said:

But if they're making a deal..... it's admission that he's done for the season. 

The second Drury calls and inquiries about a decent center, the cats out the bag. Nevermind the salary they would be willing to absorb also tells the other GM how desperate Drury is. 

This means nothing.  If teams call about Lindholm, which ever team makes the best offer gets the deal.  They aren't going to take a worse offer because "Drury is desperate" and should offer extra.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

This means nothing.  If teams call about Lindholm, which ever team makes the best offer gets the deal.  They aren't going to take a worse offer because "Drury is desperate" and should offer extra.

Meh. They can definitely ask for more from Drury. Thats kinda how it works and what we are talking about. The team that needs him the most will be asked to give the most.

The Rangers being down a 40+ point center that they have to replace, vs the Rangers not being down a 40+ point that they don't have to replace is a totally different negotiation. 

57 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Meh. They can definitely ask for more from Drury. Thats kinda how it works and what we are talking about. The team that needs him the most will be asked to give the most.

The Rangers being down a 40+ point center that they have to replace, vs the Rangers not being down a 40+ point that they don't have to replace is a totally different negotiation. 

If a GM takes the second best offer because he asks for more on top of the best offer he won't be a GM for long.

It's not that deep, guys. Most NHL GMs are pretty tight-lipped, especially when it comes to injuries. Drury runs an especially tight ship. They're not going to announce he's out for the season until they have a plan, and that plan is not Bonino. 

34 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

If a GM takes the second best offer because he asks for more on top of the best offer he won't be a GM for long.

This makes no sense. Why would another teams offer be less than the Rangers and why would the GM take less? 

By saying the GM would ask for more from the Rangers,  I don't mean that they would accept less from someone else. Just that if Drury calls and makes an offer, the GM has him in checkmate because he knows he can get more out of him in a counter offer. Not that he'll take less from someone else.  The Rangers will set the base price for centers. 

22 minutes ago, Pete said:

It's not that deep, guys. Most NHL GMs are pretty tight-lipped, especially when it comes to injuries. Drury runs an especially tight ship. They're not going to announce he's out for the season until they have a plan, and that plan is not Bonino. 

If the caller ID says Drury...... You know Chytil is done. You know you have him over a barrel, the second the conversation is about your top 6 center. It doesn't have to be announced. The plan is not Bonino and it's not a secret. 

He calls and the discussion is going straight to financials. The Rangers can't take on a big salary..... Unless Chytil is done. Why do you think this wouldn't be a huge red flag right off the bat? They can't add a 4+ million dollar player unless Chytil is done. 

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

If the caller ID says Drury...... You know Chytil is done. You know you have him over a barrel, the second the conversation is about your top 6 center. It doesn't have to be announced. The plan is not Bonino and it's not a secret. 

He calls and the discussion is going straight to financials. The Rangers can't take on a big salary..... Unless Chytil is done. Why do you think this wouldn't be a huge red flag right off the bat? They can't add a 4+ million dollar player unless Chytil is done. 

That's a rather large assumption you're making. Maybe he's not asking for a top 6 center.

Point is, they're not going to announce Chytil is done for the season unless they already have a backup plan executed. 

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

That's a rather large assumption you're making. Maybe he's not asking for a top 6 center.

Point is, they're not going to announce Chytil is done for the season unless they already have a backup plan executed. 

I mean if they’re asking about 2nd line centers the cats kind of out of the bag though. I don’t see how hiding it helps them at all.