• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lafrenière Re-Re-Reset: 2023–24 Edition

RichieNextel305

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

I used to think he was just having a blast. But I feel like it morphed into some entitlement.

The Rangers are bending over backwards to try anything to get him going.  The fact that he took so long to sign and the results  he's shown on the ice along with his body language these days, has me thinking he is in shock with how contract talks have gone.  Also, tge bewildered look on his face when the media asks him how he can improve.

I honestly think he's in some weird denial about hiw he hasn't played up to expectations. The zero urgency says it all for me. The confused look then the red face, backs my thought in interviews. 

Agreed.

Not much else to say than put up or shut up. If he doesn't then he will be gone next year 

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

Agreed.

Not much else to say than put up or shut up. If he doesn't then he will be gone next year 

I guess there's some precedent for this. Drouin was traded four years after his draft. So were Falloon and Daigle.

• ALEXIS! 1

1 hour ago, RichieNextel305 said:

The fact he skated as an extra when we’re already short Chytil is eye opening to me. I would hope it would be to him too.

Keep hoping. He doesn't seem to get very obvious hints. All he needs to do is look at Kakko and the effort that kid gives and gave when he was struggling to live up to his draft position. They seem to be night and day. While Kakko is being talked off the ledge on the bench because he is so hard on himself after a bad shift, Laugh is doing his best Sam Elliott impression with his chin strap.

Ill never forget when he held up the #1 to Byfield after scoring in a shootout. Such arrogance.....ugh.

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Today he's practicing as an extra. Message sent.

Uh oh. 

I still feel like this relationship isn't going to end well. 

Start perusing Canadian teams or bottom dwellers that would want to take a chance on him. 

Goodrow and Lafrenière to Vancouver for Boeser. Cut bait. Get something decent. Maybe get Buchnevich back? Is STL ready to rebuild? 

With Chytil being Mr Glass, maybe they should start looking for a young center or any center. I'd love if the Rangers had Sam Bennett.  

The options are limited.  There's no cap space and there's limited possible takers where he fits as a guy a team can try to resurrect his career with.  

35 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Uh oh. 

Start perusing Canadian teams or bottom dwellers that would want to take a chance on him. 

Goodrow and Lafrenière to Vancouver for Boeser. Cut bait. Get something decent. Maybe get Buchnevich back? Is STL ready to rebuild? 

With Chytil being Mr Glass, maybe they should start looking for a young center or any center. I'd love if the Rangers had Sam Bennett.  

The options are limited.  There's no cap space and there's limited possible takers where he fits as a guy a team can try to resurrect his career with.  

I like where your head is at.

55 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Uh oh. 

I like this. Honestly I think the Rangers are ready to move on from him in the worst way. 

Yukon is sitting the next game out Lavys says no need for anybody to play in all the preseason games. I hadn't noticed he played in all of them so far. He was also quoted saying he's still going to get looks on the left and right sides. By looks I assume he means on paper only. 

If he performs at a 3LW level, well he's still economical at that level.

I think the only ways he is gone this year is if his production flatlines or he winds up with a Laviolette conflict or somebody makes an offer the Rangers can't say no too.

If he's still at 3LW level come the trading deadline I'm guessing the Rangers would be hoping somebody makes an offer for him but unlikely to be shopping him as that would drive the price down.

7 minutes ago, Br4d said:

I think the only ways he is gone this year is if his production flatlines or he winds up with a Laviolette conflict or somebody makes an offer the Rangers can't say no too.

If he's still at 3LW level come the trading deadline I'm guessing the Rangers would be hoping somebody makes an offer for him but unlikely to be shopping him as that would drive the price down.

No one has defended him more than I. Nor has anyone preached patience more than I either.

But we are in his D+4 year. He needs to make a jump this year. 

Right now, he’s about an average NHL player.

Factors aside, he needs to produce this year.

I think too much has been made of his off-season regimen. By all accounts he spent a lot of time on that.

Its his on ice effort that’s the problem.

• Keeps it 100 1

17 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Right now, he’s about an average NHL player.

Factors aside, he needs to produce this year.

Teams don't give up average NHL players until their cap hit outweighs their production.

Unless somebody makes the Rangers a real offer for Lafreniere he is very unlikely to get moved.  At this point that would be at least a 1st round pick and probably a cheap young body alongside that.

Laviolette is not like GG. His third line will have a role. It's not a collection of players who didn't make the top 6.

If Laf fits into the role, he'll surely stay. More than that, however, is the question of whether Cuylle or Othmann gives you that much less than Lafreniere does on an ELC. I can see a world where Cuylle lights it up in the AHL and Lafreniere is moved mid-season for futures.

• Keeps it 100 2

35 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Yes, he's still economical, but this is also a sunk cost fallacy argument, because it ignores the potential that a trade for him now, or soon, might actually net the Rangers more than he's able to offer in the immediate and long-term future.

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

Laviolette is not like GG. His third line will have a role. It's not a collection of players who didn't make the top 6.

If Laf fits into the role, he'll surely stay. More than that, however, is the question of whether Cuylle or Othmann gives you that much less than Lafreniere does on an ELC. I can see a world where Cuylle lights it up in the AHL and Lafreniere is moved mid-season for futures.

I'm basically operating under this assumption. He'll get moved up and down as the season goes on, but it very much feels like this is just not going to work, and eventually, he's either going to request out (because you can already tell the media are like a dog on a bone about his work ethic, skating, and how he's handling these opportunities given to him), or the team will just kinda give up and pull the plug. Not just because he's failed to live up to the draft status, but because he doesn't really appear to "fit" anywhere.

Just now, Phil said:

Yes, he's still economical, but this is also a sunk cost fallacy argument, because it ignores the potential that a trade for him now, or soon, might actually net the Rangers more than he's able to offer in the immediate and long-term future.

I totally agree on this.  If somebody approaches the Rangers with reasonable draft pick and or player compensation then I think Lafreniere could get moved.  It's not like he'd command a fistful of picks or a proven young player at this point.  It just needs to be enough that giving up a 3LW who might be more than that is a reasonable option.

I mean, it's not conspiracy thinking at all. It's entirely logical:

If Laugh continues to not find a fit really anywhere in the lineup, or show much of anything to make himself stand out, how long can you keep this up, especially if Cuylle and/or Othmann go to HFD and continue to dominate? The knocking on the door could quickly turn to pounding, and it's really hard to ignore that for very long while this guy is still figuring it out 200+ games into his career.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

2 minutes ago, Br4d said:

I totally agree on this.  If somebody approaches the Rangers with reasonable draft pick and or player compensation then I think Lafreniere could get moved.  It's not like he'd command a fistful of picks or a proven young player at this point.  It just needs to be enough that giving up a 3LW who might be more than that is a reasonable option.

I don't think you even need an NHL-now player if you have faith in Cuylle or Othmann. Probably Cuylle, given he's already had a full year in the A and looks like he could step onto a third line and play a key role for what Laviolette envisions of his third line (big, heavy forecheck).

Move him for futures. Get picks. Get a prospect or two you really like. It doesn't matter. This is what I mean about sunk cost. You're never getting "1OA" value, but every day that passes, you're guaranteed less and less, so unless you have unwaivering faith that he's going to magically turn it around, I just don't see the point.

• Keeps it 100 1